User Tag List

Thread: Belkin Bluetooth kit

Default Belkin Bluetooth kit

I have been looking at Bluetooth options, from Parrot kits around $400 to GROM/Xcarlink with Bluetooth options, but I was recently made aware of a kit from Belkin that might fit the bill for some.

It's called the Belkin AirCast Auto (not to be confused with the AirCast Connect which does not have DSP for echo cancellation) and requires an AUX-in port. It plugs into the cigarette lighter and has two cords coming out - one to AUX and one to the supplied microphone/control button. As it is not an FM modulator, the sound quality is not bad!

I have an MPS6 which does not originally have AUX in, however I had an earlier version of the GROM iPod adaptor which also allows AUX in via 3.5mm plug.

I have only test-fitted it but so far it seems to be the right set up for me. It won't go flat like my visor-mount handsfree, and can also stream music. I think I will also be able to hide the cords behind the dash fascia and make it look more professional (the 6 has a flap over the ashtray which will cover the plug).

I got it on sale at Dick Smith for $89 so it is pretty good value, and made more sense than importing a GROM for $250 (although it has USB compatibility). Will post pictures when I get the chance to properly fit the unit.

Well after a few days of use I have decided this isn't for me. Everyone I spoke to said there was alot of background noise and I found myself having to shout at the microphone at times. Its a shame really because it is a good idea for those who want Bluetooth but don't want the cost/hassle of getting a hard wired kit.

And a quick look on the Harvey Norman website last night shows them on special at $28! Trying to find my receipt so I can return it.