User Tag List

Thread: Mechanic - Intake valve clean

1. Default Mechanic - Intake valve clean

Hi All,

I am interested in getting the intake valves on my MPS6 cleaned and would like to know if anyone knows of any good mechanics that deal with this sort of thing? Preferably in the south eastern suburbs.

Also, if anyone has any idea how much something like that would cost i would also be curious to know.

Cheers

Default Mechanic - Intake valve clean

I rang up all the places in south east n couple of them would do it for 400 n need a car for 3-4 days. I ended up doing them on my own lol

Edit: overnight soaked in nulon throttle body n scrubbing next morning does the job
    Last edited by Harry LuvzDrift; 05-09-2013 at 02:33 PM.

Find a place that does it using blast cleaning. That's the method I used. They will come out spotless and you will feel a big difference in smoothness and low-down response

4. Default

Thanks Harry.
    Are there any mechanics you could recommend?
    I doubt mine have ever been cleaned and have heard you can get them blasted with an abrasive to get them looking like new.
    If anyone knows of any place that specifically does this type of clean i would be keen to know.

I am considering doing it myself. Was it a difficult job and did you require any other tools than standard sockets and spanners?
    How long did it take you?

Cheers

BMW (and I think Audi) offers intake valve cleaning as standard for all their cars but good luck with the price haha

Doing it requires removal of the belt, removal of the power steering, removal of the egr, removal of the intake manifold and an understanding of Top Dead Centre on the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by discodave View Post
    Thanks Harry.
    Are there any mechanics you could recommend?
    I doubt mine have ever been cleaned and have heard you can get them blasted with an abrasive to get them looking like new.
    If anyone knows of any place that specifically does this type of clean i would be keen to know.

I am considering doing it myself. Was it a difficult job and did you require any other tools than standard sockets and spanners?
    How long did it take you?

Cheers
    Just need rachets n deep sockets. It's not a difficult job just need a lil bit of fiddling n wiggling n patience. Took me two days but let us know if you need a hand I'm more than happy to help you out.
    Member Of a Wallbangers Club

7. Default

Hrmmm after ringing around to several mechanics (Mazda, bmw, audi, locals) no one was interested in doing this.
    Does anyone know of any mechanics that would actually do it?
    Or would any forum members consider doing this (i would obviously compensate for time etc.)

Cheers

Hrmmm after ringing around to several mechanics (Mazda, bmw, audi, locals) no one was interested in doing this.
    Does anyone know of any mechanics that would actually do it?
    Or would any forum members consider doing this (i would obviously compensate for time etc.)

Cheers
    Before you start cleaning em make sure you buy a new gasket n probably catch can if possible to keep em clean

dont see alot of point doing a valve clean without a catch can. it will just clog straight back up.
    ideally a catch can and egr block off/delete. coolant bypass while you're at it

Location?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Make sure you check out Tim @ Rx8 Specialties/TPM Auto Garage Located in Frankston

He specializes in the rx8's aswell as the mps's.

12. Default

Thanks guys.

Harry, Which gasket are you referring to?
    Jmac, im in south eastern suburbs (Carnegie)
    Kev13B, thanks i will give them a try, not a single mechanic i have spoken to or been recommended yet was interested in doing this job.

And be careful putting you EGR pipe back in. Easy to thread the manifold!!!

And... Plug everything back in!
    @dazza

If you find somewhere willing to do the clean, I'd be interested in the details. I even have a catch can ready to be put in, but just haven't.

Thanks guys.
    I've seen a couple of other MPSs around Carnegie, mine is the red 6MPS if you see it!

Thanks guys.

Harry, Which gasket are you referring to?
    Kev13B, thanks i will give them a try, not a single mechanic i have spoken to or been recommended yet was interested in doing this job.
    Intake manifold gasket, coolant bypass n EGR block off kit . JBR sell it as a full kit really cheap. I could give you a hand but won't be for next week or so

16. Default

Thanks for the offer, i might take you up on it
    I will purchase the coolant bypass kit and an OCC first (any recommendations on where to get the OCC?)
    How long do you think it would take? I would be able to give a hand but only have a basic socket, spanner and screwdriver set and some jackstands.
    Happy to get my hands dirty, i have done minor jobs but probably nothing as complex as this.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry LuvzDrift View Post
    Intake manifold gasket, coolant bypass n EGR block off kit . JBR sell it as a full kit really cheap. I could give you a hand but won't be for next week or so
    Last edited by discodave; 31-10-2013 at 01:05 PM.

17. Default

Thanks for the offer, i might take you up on it
    I will purchase the coolant bypass kit and an OCC first (any recommendations on where to get the OCC?)
    How long do you think it would take? I would be able to give a hand but only have a basic socket, spanner and screwdriver set and some jackstands.
    Happy to get my hands dirty, i have done minor jobs but probably nothing as complex as this.
    JBR has all the bits n pieces (OCC, EGR block off, Coolant bypass kit, and intake manifold gasket). It would pay to get it all done at the same time (whilst the intake manifold is off) and get all the pieces ordered from JBR at the same time (to save on shipping).

Taking off the manifold is about 1 to 2 hrs. Putting it back on the same amount of time.

Cleaning will take a bit, although it wont be active cleaning as mostly it willl be having the carby cleaner dwelling on the valves. But scrubbing should take about 20 to 30mins per valve set. I think it would be faster it you were blasiting it with walnut media (and a cleaner result)

You wont need jack stands for the job.

To get an indication of what is required to remove the intake manifold look at this guide from JBR (which incidentally is the manifold gasket install guide: http://jamesbaroneracing.com/support...structions.pdf)

Shop vac, long 1/4 extensions, long tiny metal brushes to get the crap off valves n walls, 4' cans of nulon intake carby cleaner , beers n lot of patience. Might as well get a new pcv valve as a backup it's only 25 from mazda.