User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: About VersaTuner Tuning Software

haha Yeah something else might give. My research of the transfer case suggests it's pretty robust. I'd prefer the tailshaft to be the weak link, simply because it's the easiest part of the driveline to replace.

2. Default

It depends on how you drive it and your clutch/flywheel combo. The shock load of a full mass flywheel and a hard hitting clutch has more to do with it than the torque of the engine. I run a GT3071R @ 30+ PSI boost (3.3 Load) with all stock driveline. I have a Fidanza aluminum flywheel and Spec stage II kevlar clutch which are fairly gentle on the driveline.

Steve, what are your thoughts on the engine balance shaft, worth keeping?

4. Default

I have removed mine. Between that and the lightweight single mass flywheel, it revs very freely. Vibration is unpleasant. There is a nasty harmonic around 1700-1900 or so under load. Other than that, I have not seen any issues. Almost 50,000 km since I built the engine.

how does the GT3071r love 30+ psi?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve VersaTune View Post
    It depends on how you drive it and your clutch/flywheel combo. The shock load of a full mass flywheel and a hard hitting clutch has more to do with it than the torque of the engine. I run a GT3071R @ 30+ PSI boost (3.3 Load) with all stock driveline. I have a Fidanza aluminum flywheel and Spec stage II kevlar clutch which are fairly gentle on the driveline.
    Every man should have a V8 ute.....with a Chev badge.....and a Southern Cross sticker! Mods? What mods?

6. Default

The turbo is quite happy. But at that boost level, it runs out of breath at a little over 5000 rpm. It's a challenge delivering fuel to keep up. I've already upgraded the HPFP twice. I need to upgrade the in-tank pump now.

The turbo is quite happy. But at that boost level, it runs out of breath at a little over 5000 rpm. It's a challenge delivering fuel to keep up. I've already upgraded the HPFP twice. I need to upgrade the in-tank pump now.
    hmmm, interesting...
    what you running now?
    also dyno graphs?
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

8. Default

Here is a virtual dyno It's a Mazdaspeed6 so this is AWD WHP. My full mod list is up higher in the thread.

I had it on the real dyno on January 5th, but it was leaning out bad. Unfortunately, it was late and I was out of patience so I didn't get any good numbers with it. I do have a sweet video to post of the manifold glowing brightly. I'll get that on youtube soon.
    Steve

Lead Tuner

Here is a virtual dyno It's a Mazdaspeed6 so this is AWD WHP. My full mod list is up higher in the thread.

I had it on the real dyno on January 5th, but it was leaning out bad. Unfortunately, it was late and I was out of patience so I didn't get any good numbers with it. I do have a sweet video to post of the manifold glowing brightly. I'll get that on youtube soon.
    dang, that's nice... 300ftlb (400NM for aussies) by 3200rpm... and 400ftlb+ (520NM) from 3600-5600, plenty of get up and go in that car
    makes me glad im going a 3071
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

10. Default

What flange? K04 or T3? Make sure you have an adequate wastegate or you will have boost creep problems like I did until I ported it. I really like the new GTX series from Garrett. They are spendy though.

is there a fuel sender module available or a replacement pump that fits in the sender unit?
    Im awaiting a gtx at the moment, I was keen on the gtx3576 but not sure I can be arsed spending money on my car for ever! haha!

12. Default

Some people have put Walbro 255lph pumps in the tank. You can search on MSF for examples. I am looking at the Bosch 040 pump. The problem is still injector flow. The injection pulsewidth is so long, it's injecting through combustion making combustion very inefficient. Many people are looking for a larger injector solution, but so far no one has succeeded. I think you will be better off with the GTX3076 than the 35. The GTX3076 is good for 500+ WHP and still has a decent spool profile.

So what your saying is a gtx3071 is still good for a shit load of power too?

Some people have put Walbro 255lph pumps in the tank. You can search on MSF for examples. I am looking at the Bosch 040 pump. The problem is still injector flow. The injection pulsewidth is so long, it's injecting through combustion making combustion very inefficient. Many people are looking for a larger injector solution, but so far no one has succeeded. I think you will be better off with the GTX3076 than the 35. The GTX3076 is good for 500+ WHP and still has a decent spool profile.
    Every man should have a V8 ute.....with a Chev badge.....and a Southern Cross sticker! Mods? What mods?

14. Default

I run a regular 3071R. I am making >400 AWHP and I am at the limit of the turbo. A GTX3071R has about 20% more flow capacity and is more efficient at higher boost levels. The dynamic range of the GTX turbos is very impressive.

Thats what I like to here! I just sold my gt3071r but undecided which gtx I wanted. Are you running ATP exhaust housings or did go with custom manifolds and down pipe?
    I have the tatrix cable (thanking TD) once I get your software Im hoping your tuning solutions will give me what I need!

I run a regular 3071R. I am making >400 AWHP and I am at the limit of the turbo. A GTX3071R has about 20% more flow capacity and is more efficient at higher boost levels. The dynamic range of the GTX turbos is very impressive.

16. Default

I have the ATP exhaust housing. I bought it unused second hand. It was one of the earlier ones with the small wastegate. I have ported it out, but it is still problematic. If you can, go external wastegate.

Im guessing at higher boost levels your finding it hard to control the wastegate? Is this a problem you would have if you went to the 76 turbine? I have no desire to go external gate as all my money has gone into strength and cleaning out the restrictions in the engine. A external gate roaring onto the pavement would be cool though!

18. Default

Boost control with an IWG on a GTX3076 would be really tough. The EWG can be routed back into the exhaust. It doesn't have to be a screamer pipe. ATP has a new housing with a V-band EWG flange on the housing so you can use a standard manifold. I don't know how well it flows though. I assume it has to be better than an IWG.

At what boost pressure do you find that the IG becomes a problem? Im sure that I will have other problems before im able to reach super boost levels anyhow.

20. Default

You should be OK in the upper teens with a newer atp housing.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast