User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mods, Coppers and Defect notices.

Default Mods, Coppers and Defect notices.

Hi All!

I'm interested to find out what the deal is with certain mods and the need for engineers certificates and possibility of getting defected by a copper who has nothing better to do.

This has been prompted by 2 mates of mine, a Greek guy who has an STI and another tanned bloke who has an EVO. So consider at least a part of that racial profiling by the coppers.
    They have both been pulled over in the last few weeks by belligerent coppers that have tried to defect their cars.

Conversation (STI owner):
    Copper: "You got an engineers certificate for these mods?"
    Mate: "No, the car is standard" (Truth, btw)
    Copper: "Open the bonnet, what have you got here. A pod filter? Blow off valve?"
    Mate: "No, the car is standard"

At this point the copper points to his underling and tells him "You know cars right? Defect it for me"

The younger cop takes a look, says everything seems to be fine. and they eventually let him go.

Yesterday, the EVO owner got pulled over for an RBT and then got asked to pop his bonnet. He has a VERY loud cat back exhaust but the cop had a look under the bonnet and then let him go.

Question:
    What are they trying to find? NOS cannisters? Even if you have that then so long as you can show the hoses are disconnected there's nothing to worry about. But what else can they get you for? I know you need an engineers certificate when doing exhaust mods that may affect emissions but as far as I knew there was no big deal with installing a pod filter? If there isnt then why the hell was this asshole copper asking my mate about it?

Who knows a bit about this stuff? What are the rules & possible penalties. I'll still get my DP and SRI installed regardless but if I start getting bothered by coppers then that will give me the shits.

I know you need an airbox for your sri, it needs to be sealed separately from the engine, or something to that effect... you aren't allowed exposed filters, must be enclosed

I also think there is noise regulations for exhausts... ie they can't be over a certain dB reading, not sure if that's measured at idle or WOT tho...

There is also emissions testing

Very much depends what state you're in. Might want to start with this for Victoria:

http://epanote2.epa.vic.gov.au/EPA/Publications.nsf/2f1c2625731746aa4a256ce90001cbb5/c90ec843f3bbbe8fca256d9f00181c59/$FILE/1031.pdf

EDIT:
    Quick note that there doesn't seem to be any requirement for a "boxed" pod filter in Victoria (just other stupid rules)...

First and foremost the majority of highway patrol are car enthusiasts.
    The cops I know have a habit of pulling cars up simply because they want to have a look at it.
    Used to happen to my in my old car often.
    If you act smart to them they will book you.
    So most important thing is to keep your attitude under control

Ever driven down the road, saw a car and though you would love a close look at that?
    Cops can, and they do.

5. Default

Its true, they did that to us in Bretts old Blue RX8 he had way back in 2005. The bridge was up at batemans bay, the cop walked all the way down the line of cars and asked Brett about his car.

I think if your car doesnt look boganish or stand out you wont get hassled either for mods or speeding a little bit.

Cool, I was tossing up wether to get the airbox for my SRI. looks like I definitely will now.

That victorian document is very good, a couple of notes:

1. Intakes are fine as long as engine sensors are retrofitted to the same location
    2. You can modify intake OR intercooler, not both apparently (?!)
    3. Exhausts are fine as long as sensors are retrofitted, all exhaust fumes must flow through all CAT's (No brainer that)
    4. Atmospheric BOV's are banned.

NSW should be fairly similar, would be good our hands on those guidelines.
    Last edited by Reedy; 11-01-2011 at 10:48 AM.

SRI in NSW without the airbox is defect worthy, however my logic is I am driving a newish car, that isnt seen on the roads much and its a Evo or WRX which are unfortunatly guilty by association with bogans. Cops are bound to look at Evo's etc a bit more than anything else. I have a SRI without airbox and have been pulled over for speeding a few times and not had any issues with cops looking under the bonnet.

As for Zaust, its measured at Idle, my mate at work got defected in his 200SX, he was driving to play golf but Summernates or whatever it is was on and cops pulled him over thinking he was going to that, they didnt believe him till he showed them his golf clubs in the back.

You know what annoys me, is cops that have no clue acting like they know everything. I've heard of people getting defect stickers on stock cars cause some dumb-ass know-it-all stickered a stock car...

I think they look for dodgy mods and mods that stick out (clearly not standard) and also mods that are potentially dangerous as well as bald tyres, tint (I don't get the whole dark tint B.S)

^ That's provided they're doing their job correctly.

The thing is, you're less likely to get picked up in a Mazda than you are in an EVO or STi like your mates. Hence one of the reasons I bought my stealth car to keep under the radar (a little)

NSW guidelines:
    http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...s_nov_2007.pdf
    They are very thin on details tho.

Vehicle standards information sheets

I know I am driving a Mazda, not a Subaru and I am also a total Whiteboy, not a Greek brother with a carload of cousins. So I am safer than those guys are, but very soon my car is going to make a little bit more zorst noise and will have an audible bypass valve due to the SRI. Added to the fact it is the brightest blue the world has ever seen means I will be attracting just a little bit more attention.
    Last edited by Reedy; 11-01-2011 at 11:02 AM.

Haven't had a problem so far with my MPS in fact I think I've only been breathalysed once and is was the standard booze bus blocking the whole road. I've been waved through twice. Have not been pulled over by a police car for any reason. I have a loud intake and a quiet(ish) exhaust...well quieter than most.

I have had bad looks from cops when on my motorcycle. I was actually doing about 10 under (slowing for round-about) and I got a complete stare from a cop...it was so obvious he didn't like something about me or my bike. He couldn't make a u-turn as there was an island kerb. The only possible u-turn for him was around 2-300m away. I'm sure he executed the U-turn but what he didn't know is ....I saw the stare he gave...I wasn't doing anything wrong but still cracked the throttle when I got round the corner (so he wouldn't see) cause I don't want the hassle. Surprise when he came back, no CBR motorcycle anywhere to be seen! Not the first time I've been targeted for doing nothing...you know those are the cops looking for trouble.

BTW, bike is currently completely stock. (Black)

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

I have never been pulled over in my 3MPS, but it is stock. See if I can keep that up since I will be doing a number of mods to my car this year.

A friend had a S14 and a cop did a u turn to pull them over. Car had only come out of regency the day before after being defected. Cop still gave it a good going over.

This is the reason I went for a less obvious car.

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...ate-modds.html

All u have to do is come across a cop who is on a mission to defect, where i live they have a squad that comes up about 4 cop cars and they defect everyone!! i had a Neo with exhaust and lowered and defected the exhaust. turns out it was 95db

Heh and when your MPS is finished? How are you going to pass that thing?

The loud noise it makes will be the coppers last concern, theyre gonna be busy wondering why a conservative looking Mazda3 is screaming down the highway at 400km/hr, on fire.

Reedy I have the MZR SRI which noisy as well and not had any issues. I really wouldn't worry about it, worse comes to worse you swap the standard airbox back on, get the defect sorted and put the SRI back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meh worse comes to worst I just put an airbox on it. Im getting the Corksport SRI which has an optional airbox.

Not sure if this helps but in Victoria, the dB reading from the exhaust has to be below 95dB at 4800 rpm in a 4 cylinder car but after that is unlimited, 6 cylinders dB is measured at 3800ish and V8 about the same, this is how new HSV and FPVs have passed roadworthiness.

Also found out the that crackly or pop at gear changes has to be less then 90dB.

I've been on PSB (Perth Street Bikes) and from what I gather, most, if not all motorcycle exhausts are illegal (too loud)

I'm basing the below on my experiences etc in NSW, not other states.

Firstly, if your car stands out you definitely will be targeted, hence why I got rid of my old car. I don't think cops are biased towards race / ethnicity (at least around here ) but if they do see a car full I guess they may act differently than if you were alone. I did notice that if I got pulled over in my 4x4 I was treated normally, but if I was in my magna I was an instant 'hoon'. My old car was very unique looking and stood out like dogs balls. I ended up getting sick of the harassment so I bought a second car and drove the magna once a month - then I sold it. Cops are more likely to target a boy racer than a rust bucket. After all, the boy racer is going to spend the money to get the car legal again, the rust bucket will just end up at the wreckers.

With defects, in NSW (and probably other states) a cop doesnt have to be correct. A cop just has to 'suspect' a defect in order to issue a defect / unroadworthy notice. For instance, I know people who have been defected for their rims and they were legal. I have been done for my exhaust and it was under the dB limit. You still have to pay the fine and get a blue slip / roadworthy even if the cop was wrong.

On the flipside, on other car forums I'm on there are articles that mention brand new cars being defected. In one of the articles, they grabbed a brand new commo and put it through the tests and it failed pollutant emissions and when they asked a copper to go over it, there were several areas where he said he could issue a defect including the washer bottle being close to empty

When I first got defected, the cop said anything that isnt stock and isnt engineered is defectable. So in essence, even though my rims are legal on my 6 they could get me due to not being stock. In reference of mods to the intake / exhaust within NSW the laws are very cloudy. The RTA states pods need to be boxed (fair enough) and that exhausts must not increase emissions (both noise and pollutants). However, DECC (former EPA) have laws that state that any modification to the intake / exhaust is illegal and should not be undertaken. However, if engineering and trying to get these mods legal they must exceed / be lower than stock emissions, hence why a lot of people tune for E85 for emissions tests. If your exhaust is no louder than stock and uses appropriate cats you should be fine but I have heard of roadside emissions tests so you just have to be careful. So even if your car is legal to the RTA laws, if you're cocky the cops could easily defect you by using DECC laws and if DECC have you on your radar, you may as well part your car out or sell it for $4 as they are very difficult to gain approval from. Mods that dont stand out are always going to be a winner.

I superchargered my last car which would probably go as a guidance for intake mods and engineering. I consulted 3 engineers in Newcastle. Two wouldnt touch it due to the DECC laws, one said that in order to get it passed it must;
    - be structurally sound
    - pass a DECC emissions test down in Sydney (for all you interstaters its worthwhile driving to Botany for these tests as theyre free - I've heard in other states it is a very expensive task)
    - pass a noise test including idle and drive by
    - aftermarket brakes also to be installed and roadworthy to be able to counteract the increased power

OR

- be ADR approved which it wasn't

Overall, if a cop was to go over my car again (thankfully they don't look twice with the mazda) I'd get out and go over the car with them as well. Don't be smart, but don't let them walk all over you and stand up for yourself. If they're going to defect you for being too low, make sure it isn't done on a slope, exhaust - if they measure it make sure its removed from residue noise. If you have minor mods that are legal and don't / shouldn't require an engineers certificate carry documentation to show its legal (like a tyre calculator's print out) and provide your engineers certificates as soon as the cops start looking.

Sleeper spec FTW. Also, if I were your friends and their cars were legal and they continue to be targeted I'd consider taking note of how many times they're pulled over, dates etc. If it becomes excessive I've heard of people threatening to take action for harassment. Its a massive fight, but coppers may cut you some slack (or come down on you more hard).
    Last edited by skyna; 11-01-2011 at 06:34 PM.

i've got a mate with an S14. Drift style so yes it attracts attention,
    Anyway he got defected for his pod filter, that was in a full custom made airbox, because it wasnt factory. If they wanna get you they will, nothing you can do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast