User Tag List

Thread: How to test engine coil packs?

Default How to test engine coil packs?

I have had my 6 MPS at Mazda due to a Check Engine Light which indicated a mis-fire on cyl 2.

They cleared the code and swapped the leads between cyl 1 & 2.

As I drove from the dealer the other day it misfired again but not for long enough this time to bring up a Check engine light.

I took it back but they say it 'tests' fine and without a CEL they won't look any further.

Is there any way I can test the coil packs my self (where are they first off....) so I can prove to Mazda if one is faulty.

The car seems to me to be still mis-fireing subtlely but I find it hard to duplicate. Could a dashhawk help me diagnose more subtle mis-fires perhaps?
    Red '05 6MPS.

I don't know an easy DIY way to test the coils, and would advise not to try, they put out tens of thousands of volts.

But I would say do a search on the coil spring stretch modification and give it a try. It may cure the missfire.

Or,

I think I have 4 spares, maybe you could be nice and get a free one from me

That would be a big help even if it is only to test if they make a difference.

If they make a difference then I'll either buy new ones or buy them off you.

When you are free next for me to drop around, let me know. I drop in on the way home.

Me thinks I owe you a beer or two.... Whats your poison Troy?

I had a strange miss in mine while ago, sounds very similar to the one you are experiencing, I would get some irregular light missing here and there, then it did it long enough to throw a CEL, I was able to retrieve the code from the DH and found that the miss was coming from cyl #1, my first thought was a faulty coil pack, so I swapped 1 & 4 over just to check, same issue happened again shortly after and still with cyl #1.

I found it to be a faulty wire in the loom, just back from the plug, I dont know whether it was faulty from the factory, or some monkey had removed the plug by yanking the wires causing it to stretch. Anyway, I soldered a length of wire into the loom and that seemed to rectify the issue, then luckily someone in the US had blown their motor and was selling a set of coil packs with the complete ignition loom attached, which I grabbed pretty quickly.

Maybe give the coil pack connectors and plugs a good once over with some contact cleaner, it could just be a dirty pin.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin740 View Post
    That would be a big help even if it is only to test if they make a difference.

If they make a difference then I'll either buy new ones or buy them off you.

When you are free next for me to drop around, let me know. I drop in on the way home.

Me thinks I owe you a beer or two.... Whats your poison Troy?
    I don't drink, It means more money for mods

please.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Thanks Matt I'll do my best to have a look at this as mine definitely sounds similar.

Well the car went into APC for them to have a look into the miss-fire.

They have advised me that they can feel a hesitation rather than a miss, and that a flash tune is the way to go. They believe the extra flow of the exhaust and filter have put the mixture out.

No need to delay any longer....it's off to Chiptorque as soon as I can work out what to do for 6 hours on the Gold Coast without a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin740 View Post
    it's off to Chiptorque as soon as I can work out what to do for 6 hours on the Gold Coast without a car.

I went to Jupiters for a couple of hours when mine was tuned. It turns out I won more than enough money to pay for the flash tune
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

10. Default

im interested in this thread, as i have just been t pick up my car from a panel shop who fixed a dent and now it wont start refer thread http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...ont-start.html
    Im thinking it may be realted to coil packs and since reading this thread im nervous to ask, when i fitted the cp-e pnp harness and plugged the stock lume into it, it does bend quite a bit naturally to plug into the pnp harness, and am not wondering if this could have caused a wire to fault???
    i have had the harness on for approx 4 weeks now, and it just seems so conincidental that this has happened since the car has been at the panel shope. please read my other thread and let me know if this could be it - penguin ill PM u also

thanks guys
    2006 AB Mazda 3 MPS
    | 2XS SRI | PG TIP | SURE T3 Street REM | Bilstein B8 & King Spring Suspension |
    ********Car is now for sale PM for details********

If you suspect the coils, down load the work shop manual from here (somewhere) and test the primary and secondry coils resistances with a multi meter as outlined, prob asap after you expierence your miss. You could load test them but you would need extensive equiptment.