User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Legality of HID conversions

But i think the cops will know....that high beam HID...dont actually have a seperate light.

Bi Xenon are just one lense with a mirror that slide to change the direction of beam.

But i guess the cops may not know....as many have told me i have a turbo diesel mazda 3.

Happy Motoring
    duglet

Quote Originally Posted by duglet View Post
    But i think the cops will know....that high beam HID...dont actually have a seperate light.

Bi Xenon are just one lense with a mirror that slide to change the direction of beam.

But i guess the cops may not know....as many have told me i have a turbo diesel mazda 3.

Happy Motoring
    duglet
    '
    'BRISBANE AUTOSHINE' MOBILE CAR DETAILING
    1300 35 65 95
    0406 427 269
    antony@autoshine.com.au
    www.autoshine.com.au
    GIFT VOUCHERS AND CLUB DISCOUNTS AVAILABLE**

Whilst you may get it past the cops, please bear in mind that it is not legal

Yups burnt in mind... thats why i need to think long and hard. I'll just probably change my HID low beamers to a higher Ks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Whilst you may get it past the cops, please bear in mind that it is not legal

Quote Originally Posted by mech81 View Post
    Yups burnt in mind... thats why i need to think long and hard. I'll just probably change my HID low beamers to a higher Ks.
    Its not to say dont go ahead with it, just be aware thats all.
    I have a pod filter thats not in a box on my car at times, which is defectable.
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

same here, uncovered pod, and full hid kits., no probs yet! 8 months on

Also to note...changing bulbs to a higher K doesnt produce more light.

It actually makes less light.

Happy medium of light is between 4300k (OEM) to around 6000K.

Light will stay white and produce the best similarities to daylight.

Happy Motoring
    duglet

yeh i noticed my main light was the same brigtness of the OEM light. mine rated at 7k

Well as long as the cops dont know or are too brain dead to know you are fine, its really the boys with the purple lights (QDT- Queensland Department of Transport) that know what they are on about, but same thing unless one of them own the MPS of some sort they will not take much notice as it is a reasonable priced semi-luxury car that more than likely could have them.

Its more a car like my 1994 GTiR that was built when HID was not out that would get done, hence why I have not put HID in my GTiR yet. . .
    "THE PATH OF THE GTI-R IS BESET WITH PERIL BY THE INJUSTICES OF THE SPEED CAMERA AND THE TYRANNY OF OTHER DRIVERS. BLESSED IS HE WHO OVERTAKES THE EVO & STI THROUGH THE VALLEY OF HAIRPIN TURNS, FOR HE IS TRULY HIS CAR'S TUNER AND THE FINDER OF LOST HORSEPOWER. . . AND WE SHALT STRIKE DOWN WITH GREAT BOOST AND FURIOUS ACCELERATION ON WHOEVER DOTH ATTEMPT TO OBSTRUCT OR DELAY OUR OVERTAKING. . .
    BMW M3 Evo Coming to the R stable soon. . .

very true!

So Nasa, your MPS was the non-sports pack? Just wondering what I need just to upgrade my hi-beams only.

I'll just change the bulbs on my low beams to light tinge of purple.

The action of flicking on and off your high beams, which is what most people do as rarely do you drive with them constantly on, is not what HIDs are designed for. Remember it takes a couple of seconds for them to produce the proper brightness and that essentially you won't be able to flick them on and off. Also I remember reading somewhere before when I was thinking about changing the high beams to HIDs that the constant on/off usage reduces the life of the bulbs. Something to think about I guess.

take it to a specilist, you will look at about 200 a set of lights plus an intstall fee!
    plus 2-3 hours!
    check ebay for a great deal!
    or car autoshops will sell them!

Maybe instead of thinking about whether or not you will get caught, think about why it is illegal, because they are excessively bright to on coming cars and without the self levelling, they will shine into other drivers eyes. If you wanted HID's you should have bought the car that came with them.

You have a valid point there Luke. Unfortunately the Gen1 MPS didnt come with HID high beams and the other point is that you probably dont drive with normal high beams on if there were oncoming cars coming in the other direction. Nonetheless a valid point and the point of all this is whether its legal or not... at the end its illegal.

Cheers

why are these lights even available to anyone?

For the same reason you can get an aftermarket exhaust built which doesn't meet the sound or environmental laws, super dark tinting or aftermarket rims which are too big.

why does the hid have to have the washer. What is the point of them?

dirt can fleck the light beam! so regular washing of the lense helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Nasa View Post
    why are these lights even available to anyone?
    Because its not illegal to manufacture or sell them, I suppose their defense would be that they can be fitted on a car that is sold HIDs from the factory.
    Also they may be legal to fit overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by PerthMPS View Post
    why does the hid have to have the washer. What is the point of them?
    I believe its because they lights are affected more by dirt etc on the outside of the plastic than normal headlights.
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast