User Tag List

Thread: Good petrol - bad petrol

Default Good petrol - bad petrol

When I'm not playing with cars I'm into building and flying aircraft. One of the things I like about aeronautical engineering is that it's evidence based, dispassionate and scientific, which makes a nice change from all the uninformed bullshit that inevitably comes from (unqualified) people in the automotive world.

I though some of you might be interested in some unbiased information which gives a slightly different perspective on car petrol (MOGAS) from an Australian aircraft engine manufacturer.

Skip to pages 7, 8 and 9.

I'll let you draw your own conclusions, but I think it answers some of the questions we often see on car forums.

http://www.jabiru.net.au/Service%20B...s/JSL007-3.pdf

Gone to Volvo

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    When I'm not playing with cars I'm into building and flying aircraft. One of the things I like about aeronautical engineering is that it's evidence based, dispassionate and scientific, which makes a nice change from all the uninformed bullshit that inevitably comes from (unqualified) people in the automotive world.
    Nice article Mal - As a previous owner of an Ampol Service Station I can vouch for the lack of quality control in Petrol. On two occassions we had the fuel in the ground tested because of customer complaints of Pinging (pinking) and pre-ignition. Both times the fuel was found to have a below normal allowable range for octane rating. Strangely enough on both occassions the fuel was from the Shell refinery, not caltex which was the norm for Ampol Stations in Sydney. Twice only in 7 years isn't all that bad but shouldn't happen at all.

Although I do think with the reduced number of service stations and increased fuel sales overall, it would be hard to find a service station that doesn't get regular deliveries and therefore no stale fuel.

I laugh when I hear about service stations having water in the fuel - can't happen unless the service station is under water. The water builds up in the cars tank from condensation over a long period of time. Bowsers have inbuilt filters to trap water, the operator would soon know if there was water in a pump.