User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upper Engine Cleaner - Subaru

Default Upper Engine Cleaner - Subaru

Hi guys,

Every 5,000kms i use 'Subaru Upper Engine Cleaner' on My 2000 model WRX CLUB SPEC.

Have people heard of this product before? ( refer to attached photo)

Subaru recommend it, as..

"Engine power output is created by the burning of fuel in a vehicle's cylinders. As petrol is a hydrocarbon fuel, made up of hydrogen and carbon, after combustion it leaves carbon as a by-product or deposit. Over a relatively short period of time the carbon deposits on the walls of the combustion chamber, the piston crown (top surface), and on the valves, can result in the deterioration of engine efficiency. This may lead to poor fuel economy, reduced power and harder starting.
    To overcome this situation, the factory has formulated ‘Upper Engine Cleaner (SA459)’, which is a concentrated combustion chamber and induction system cleaner. This product helps clean and purge gum, varnish, and carbon deposits. Using this solvent during scheduled servicing has proven to be a valuable form of preventative maintenance.

If your vehicle were subjected to regular stop/start driving, short trips, or poor fuel quality, the build up of gum, varnish, and carbon deposits would be far more rapid. In addition to ‘Upper Engine Cleaner (SA459)’, we suggest the use of ‘SA718 Fuel Additive’ to maximise your engine’s protection against such concerns.

Both products have been specially formulated by Fuji Heavy Industries, the manufacturer of your Subaru vehicle, to be compatible with the Subaru horizontally opposed engine and it’s technically advanced electronics. These products are available through all authorised Subaru Dealers. ''

It contains-
    Butane - 10%
    Propane - 10%
    Aliphatic/Aromatic Hydrocarbons (toluene, benzene, acetone etc) - 60%
    Ammonium Hydroxide -10%
    Butyl cellosolve - 10% (This is the foaming additive)

Obvoiusly we would not use this on a MPS for the reason it is not a Boxer Engine but i have heard of others using it on S14's, Commodores etc etc with good results.

Anyone used it on their MPS?

Should i be the test dummy? lol

Cheers

Current: 2002 Nissan S15 200SX SPEC R
    Previously: 2006 Mazda 6 MPS ,MY00 WRX CLUB SPEC EVO IV Hatch ,97' Nissan S14A 200sx, Nissan R34 GT-T, Nissan S12 Silvia

Yeah, used to use it on my old Astina SP and Galant V6, was great for shutting up noisy valve trains.

Quote Originally Posted by TallDan View Post
    Yeah, used to use it on my old Astina SP and Galant V6, was great for shutting up noisy valve trains.
    Would you use it on your mps???

4. Default

I used to use it on my subi as well, but no I wouldnt use it on my MPS

Would Mazda or Subaru give the green light to use this on the MPS?

its like that product called seafoam the americans are using

dont see any issue with using it, and i would use it, just trying to think where it can be sprayed... probably have to take off the top mount and spray it down the duct into the manifold

Might search the US forums
    CHeers guys.

Havnt look at how it could be hard to find a vacuum hose to remove off the manifold..

Quote Originally Posted by nissanman View Post
    Might search the US forums
    CHeers guys.

Havnt look at how it could be hard to find a vacuum hose to remove off the manifold..
    ok found one, will take a photo of it later and upload it

there are two vacuum lines that can be used, but i would use the one that is closer to the throttle plate

Quote Originally Posted by kagerou View Post
    ok found one, will take a photo of it later and upload it

there are two vacuum lines that can be used, but i would use the one that is closer to the throttle plate
    Cheers,

Look forward to it

Previously: 2006 Mazda 6 MPS ,MY00 WRX CLUB SPEC EVO IV Hatch ,97' Nissan S14A 200sx, Nissan R34 GT-T, Nissan S12 Silvia

One of the problems we have is an accumulation of sludge in the bottom of the inlet manifold, due to the PCV picking up heavy oil mist from the crank case. There is also oily residue usually found from the top crank case vent just after the MAF, all the way to the inlet valves.

I think we have a genuine need to periodically clean the inside of our engines to keep detonation at bay. I've been cleaning the inside of my engine by hand, but if this stuff works like seafoam it would make cleaning a lot easier.

If you're on good terms with your local Mazda service manager ask him what he thinks. How much is it?

Look forward to more news on this.

Gone to Volvo

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    One of the problems we have is an accumulation of sludge in the bottom of the inlet manifold, due to the PCV picking up heavy oil mist from the crank case. There is also oily residue usually found from the top crank case vent just after the MAF, all the way to the inlet valves.

I think we have a genuine need to periodically clean the inside of our engines to keep detonation at bay. I've been cleaning the inside of my engine by hand, but if this stuff works like seafoam it would make cleaning a lot easier.

If you're on good terms with your local Mazda service manager ask him what he thinks. How much is it?

Look forward to more news on this.
    Its a bout $7 a can i think. can use a can at a time.

Any more discussion on this????

Cheers

12. Default

yeah unfortunately i still havent gotten around to taking a photo yet

where are you getting them for $7 a can? i used to get them from the dealer for $15 a can

From the Rexnet forums.

Yea i think they were $14 a can from The Subaru Dealer up here in the hills

Hey Nissanman,

I was interested to hear that Subaru use this sort of product as part of their scheduled service routine. I don't profess to know anything specific about the Subaru branded product but the comparisons to "Seafoam" had me wondering. There is a video on the Seafoam website demonstrating the recommended way of applying their treatment. The treatment, where it goes and the results claimed sound like an advert for "Redex Engine Treatment" ( I think that's what it was called). I used this product years ago on a number of my cars. Open the tin, pour the recommended amount of the liquid straight down its neck (carb) after its warmed up and while its running. Made a noticable difference and the smokescreen it created would be a worthy of a place in a James Bond movie!!

Here is the link to "Seafoam" and the video I'm talking about.

Motor Treatment - Sea Foam

I don't think I would have a problem using a product such as Seafoam or the Subie stuff in the MPS as the similar Redex treatment didn't do any harm to any of the other cars I ever used it on. They even used to sell "shots" of Redex right at the bowser, at some service stations many moons ago! They claim Seafoam is safe to use in any petrol or diesel motor, fuel injected, turbocharged....etc. However my experience with this product was limited to carburetted cars only, never thought to use it on a fuel injected car.

Hope this helps shed a little more light on the subject.
    Last edited by ManicMPS; 04-10-2009 at 12:48 AM.

"light travels faster than sound, that is why some people appear brighter....until they speak"

Long term experience is beginning to suggest that the designers of direct injection engines haven't quite got it right yet, particularly in terms of upper engine contamination caused by PCV and EGR systems.

Check out this 2008 Porsche Cayenne:

And this 2.0 VW:

Or this high mileage VW:

Here's an Audi after the valves were cleaned:

And here it is again just 2000 miles later:

So what does this mean for our DI engines?

Here's an MPS engine for comparison:

I'm starting to think we have a compelling need to run something like Seafoam or Subaru UEC on a regular basis to avoid a gradual loss of power and fuel economy. With 105,000km I might need half a dozen cans of the stuff but I'm going to give it a try.

It also seems that DI engines need to have an oil catch can fitted to the crank case vent even more than a port injection engine.
    Last edited by kmh001; 13-10-2009 at 01:03 PM.

Gone to Volvo

16. Default

Hmm.. cant see the last 2 pics because they're linked from another forum

Nice post, I also cant see the last few pics of the MPS engine.

I think next service im going to run a can of the subaru stuff through mine, ill let you know how we go

yeah cant see the mps pics

Weird, the pics are visible to me. Are they working now?
    Last edited by kmh001; 13-10-2009 at 01:05 PM.

yep , fixed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast