User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Diff whine - and Dealer/Mazda response

Hey guys, I've just posted some of my diff issues here

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...lutions-2.html

IMMX5 I've also got the new bracket, but this was terrible on my 225/45/18's +45 offset but since I went back to stock wheels and tyres it feels like new??

Nissanman, how is your diff, I've got a feeling non-standard tyres may be a problem? As after going back to stock all my diff problems seem to have gone
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

I can say that the 215/45 kuhmo ecsta spt's improvd the diff whining about 90% infact. But the whine is still apparent and instead of coming in at 80 kph it now is the most noticable at speeds of around 63kph to 70kph cruisng in 6th gear... Wierd lol

3. Default

How can u be in 6th gear doing 63 - 70 ... doesnt your car feel like its going to stall. If I drop below 80 in 6th gear it feels so bad

Same with mine, in 6th around 70 it's pulling less than 2000rpm and does not feel good, also being in 6th below 2000rpm is laboring the engine and therefore not good either. But I'm glad the diff whine has diminished for you nissanman!

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    How can u be in 6th gear doing 63 - 70 ... doesnt your car feel like its going to stall. If I drop below 80 in 6th gear it feels so bad
    Mines fine, its not like you can tear off down the road at those speeds in 6th. But cruising on either a flat road or slight decline it cruises fine below 2,000rpm. My WRX on the other hand does not like it low rpm cruising etc.
    BELOW 80? wow, not the case in my MPS

Quote Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
    Same with mine, in 6th around 70 it's pulling less than 2000rpm and does not feel good, also being in 6th below 2000rpm is laboring the engine and therefore not good either. But I'm glad the diff whine has diminished for you nissanman!
    It doesn't labor. IF you put your foot into it, then yes it would labor and would not be good. Ill take a video of it perhaps next time i think of it

Current: 2002 Nissan S15 200SX SPEC R
    Previously: 2006 Mazda 6 MPS ,MY00 WRX CLUB SPEC EVO IV Hatch ,97' Nissan S14A 200sx, Nissan R34 GT-T, Nissan S12 Silvia

Quote Originally Posted by nissanman View Post
    Mines fine, its not like you can tear off down the road at those speeds in 6th. But cruising on either a flat road or slight decline it cruises fine below 2,000rpm. My WRX on the other hand does not like it low rpm cruising etc.
    BELOW 80? wow, not the case in my MPS

It doesn't labor. IF you put your foot into it, then yes it would labor and would not be good. Ill take a video of it perhaps next time i think of it
    Oops, sorry mate my bad, I meant if you accelerate off in 6th at those speeds is not good! You're correct in saying flat cruising at those speeds is ok, I'm just lazy sometimes to keep shifting down when I need to pull away, therefore for me metropolitan street speeds is usually 4th or 5th.

In saying my wife's VW Jetta with the DSG always drops itself into 6th when you're cruising at 60kph or so, but shifts down with lightning fast precision when you tap the accelerator.
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Blog Entries

No probs with the MPS6 at 60 or 65 in 6th. I always used to sit in 6th around town in mine if I could. Fuel economy gets much better. It's fine as long as you aren't trying to climb a hill or get into it! The Passat's DSG is in 6th by the time it's doing 50 in economy mode . Takes some getting used to.

I recently had the diff / transfer case oil changed (Penrite Hypoid 80W90) which has definately reduced the whine. It was never a noise so loud that it annoyed me but at just $20 for 2.5 litres I thought I would give it a go. It sounds like some people have much louder whining and / or more sensitive hearing than me.

As for 6th gear, I'm in it most of the time by about 60-65km/h when cruising easy on level roads. The MPS does not labour at 1500rpm.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123