User Tag List

Thread: annoying clunk when gearing down in my mps6

Default annoying clunk when gearing down in my mps6

hey ppl

i have noticed a clunk when gearing down it happens in 2nd & 3rd gear?

i have a transfer case leak that im going to fix in the coming weeks..?

im thinking mybe something with the diff..

Hey mate, I've had similar noises in the past, there have been two different causes of them.

1) First time when my car was still quite new, the clunk wasn't overly loud but concerning. After checking things I noticed the RH rear tyre was soft (had 10psi) after inflating the clunk disappeared. Thinking had something to do with the rolling diameter difference between LH rear and RH rear.

2) Second time was prior to snapping my bolts on the forward mount for the diff, then the clunk was Huge after the bolts snapped. This occurred around 42,000kms Mazda fitted new bolts and problem is fixed.

3) Third time about a month later, the clunk was soft but same kind of clunk as in instance 2. I checked the bolts when I got home and found they were very loose! Mazda re-torqued them and applied loctite, this occured at 44,000kms and I'm up to 50,000 with no problems.

RE: Transfer case leak I had my seal fixed around 30,000kms and seemed to be ok for a while, but since looking underneath recently I now have another leak be going in soon for my 50K service so hopefully they fix it (again)

Hope this helps and you work out what causes the "clunk" Kov
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Quote Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
    Hey mate, I've had similar noises in the past, there have been two different causes of them.

1) First time when my car was still quite new, the clunk wasn't overly loud but concerning. After checking things I noticed the RH rear tyre was soft (had 10psi) after inflating the clunk disappeared. Thinking had something to do with the rolling diameter difference between LH rear and RH rear.

2) Second time was prior to snapping my bolts on the forward mount for the diff, then the clunk was Huge after the bolts snapped. This occurred around 42,000kms Mazda fitted new bolts and problem is fixed.

3) Third time about a month later, the clunk was soft but same kind of clunk as in instance 2. I checked the bolts when I got home and found they were very loose! Mazda re-torqued them and applied loctite, this occured at 44,000kms and I'm up to 50,000 with no problems.

RE: Transfer case leak I had my seal fixed around 30,000kms and seemed to be ok for a while, but since looking underneath recently I now have another leak be going in soon for my 50K service so hopefully they fix it (again)

Hope this helps and you work out what causes the "clunk" Kov
    thanks mate funny you say instance 1 ! i too have RH rear not pumped up all the way!

When i put the stock wheels back on the RH rear was so low we had to take it off and go to the servo to pump up

il go and pump it up tonight and see what happens.

Going to my mechanics on saturday to get a quote on the transfer case leak and il get him to check the bolts on the front mount for diff when its on the hoist !

thanks mate
    2005 Mazda MPS6 Radiant Ebony Luxury-Pack

I had an issue when the car was quite young.

It was a loose rear diff bolt.

Also, have you tried the CPE Engine mount? Could be the stock one has busted out!