User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The new generation Mazda 3 MPS – technical review

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Street Road Laino View Post
    My My, everyone has forgotten so quickly!
    Last edited by Wardski; 23-07-2009 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardski View Post
    My My, everyone has forgotten so quickly! Not sure about you people, but this scared me enuff to buy a Subaru!
    No mate, not forgotten. Just forgetting about tuning these things. Simple mods like CAi and TBE plus suspension mods are the way to go
    Alcohol - Some Of The Best Times, You Will Never Remember

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Street Road Laino View Post
    No mate, not forgotten. Just forgetting about tuning these things. Simple mods like CAi and TBE plus suspension mods are the way to go
    Suspension definately, dont recommend a TBE, maybe a Cat back is the way, and replace the stock air filter with a K&N.

Got to watch out how lean this car gets when the turbo spikes due to all that free'd up air space.

what about 2XS he's heavily modded and no boom, and the chiptourqu targa car????

5. Default

Awesome write up Mal, so glad you were the man for the job, means we get an informative factual write up from a great guy who knows his shit and how to really drive a car ... also means we got to hang out with you for a few days in ACT Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    Awesome write up Mal, so glad you were the man for the job, means we get an informative factual write up from a great guy who knows his shit and how to really drive a car
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    Just as a matter of minor interest, we had a discussion about how you can tell the difference between the Luxury pack and the regular MPS.

The headlights are the only visible external difference between the two models.

This is the regular MPS headlight, notice the orange part and the separate high beam section...

And this is the Luxury pack, notice there is less orange visible and you can see where the headlamp pivots. Apparently the high and low beam is incorporated into a single lamp. The washer is also visible on the bumper.

Bi-Xenon headlamps do not have a separate bulb as you have said...becoz you shouldnt flash HID lights...reduces life and kills the ballast.

They have one light and a shield raises up to direct the beam upwards.

As for adaptive front headlights...been on most euro cars for years.

If you watch closely at the light as someone turns the wheel...you will see the other rim of the light move slightly.

It just like auto leveling but sideways

Great review....but I still dont want one...im not converted

Happy Motoring
    duglet

Great review.

Good luck with blowing the doors of the M3 though.

80-120 (3rd) - 2.6 (e92) vs 3.4 (mps)

While I enjoy my Little friend I will not be buying the 2010 model. 135i for me

Must have been interesting getting out of a 6MPS and driving the new 3MPS. Cant wait for a review from a long term 3MPS driver though.
    +1

good review though, thanks for posting it up

oopz i flash my lights sometimes to say hi to people....

Good read Mal. It sounded you guys had a good day out there.

Suspension definately, dont recommend a TBE, maybe a Cat back is the way, and replace the stock air filter with a K&N.

Got to watch out how lean this car gets when the turbo spikes due to all that free'd up air space.

Cat back is a complete waste of time as the mazda oem gear is fine. Probably sounds decent but thats about it. There are plenty of people running around with downpipes that havent had engine booms. The ones that come to mind here have all had tunes and we all know how that ended.

But at the end of the day, these engines are only new and there is plenty of research needed to find out why these things happen. Maybe with mazda pointing these cars at the boy racers now we might sort these issues out.

I still cant wait to get into one and fang the shit out of it. See how it compares to the good looking MPS
    Alcohol - Some Of The Best Times, You Will Never Remember

Interesting the direction this discussion has taken.

We heard unofficially on Wednesday that Mazda Australia had considered offering their own version of Mazdaspeed products, but things like the federal government rules on automotive advertising (i.e. the name Mazdaspeed includes the letters s, p, e and d), and an inability to get the products to market at a realistic price got in the way. Reading between the lines, I got the impression that Mazda would like to do a lot more in terms of supporting enthusiasts who would like to customise their car in a sensible way. I suspect they are at least thinking about what more they can do for the Mazda community, which is a good sign.

Also, with guys like Alan Horsley who have been around for ever running Mazda Motorsport and preparing targa cars etc, I'm sure the knowledge exists to mod these cars safely and effectively.

It was apparent from what was being said that Mazda read the forums and take on board what's being said about their products. They didn't say it, but I think they are concerned about the blown engines and I suspect that the secret squirrels approach to the ECU code is about to change (possibly also because the Ukranians have fully cracked the code) and one or two tuners are going to benefit from some official guidance.

I was left feeling optimistic about the future I think the DISI engine is about to step out of its early development stage and make a step change in its level of maturity, particularly in terms of what the after market will be able to achieve.

There were no official announcements made or commitments given, but I liked the way they were thinking. They're really petrol heads like us.

So don't sell your MPS just yet, the next 12 to 24 months may get a lot more interesting.
    Last edited by kmh001; 23-07-2009 at 10:49 PM.

Gone to Volvo

^^Fingers crossed!!!!!

Word!!!!

After a short drive, the following things stood out clearest for me:
    - suspension(and chassis) - the new car seems much better tuned here. It feels like its got more travel and definitely less prone to torque steer. The old car was not bad for chassis stiffness, but always lacked the adjustability into a corner that I liked, something the SP23/25 has a lot of. The new car is part way between them there, and I can understand why they have kept the rear end in check into corners seeing how much faster a MPS arrives into any given corner compared to the SP series 3.

- steering - The new steering is very informative with excellent feel. I found that I could tell fairly easily where the wheels were pointed without having to look at the wheel.

- interior - certainly a step or two ahead, the placement of all the dials (and sat nav screen) made everything easy to see. Vision ahead and through corners was good. Electric seats with memory is fantastic especially if there is more than one regular driver of the car. Better equipped, esp for the gadget freaks who like their start buttons and sat nav.

- exterior - definitely a car that is better in the flesh, and looks good when moving. Some of the intricacies in design I think get lost in 2d photos.

To sum it up, its grown up in the right areas. Its still got plenty of speed, but now has poise and a more matured feel to go with it. Its more refined in the driving feel, but that is seriously a good thing. It now truly has a split personality, to match the driver a bit more depending on how you feel at the time. Easy to drive sedately, safer feeling from the driver's seat as it communicates with you through the wheel and seat better, still enough power to give you a big grin.

17. Default

You know, I hate being the devils advocate here and bring people back to "reality", but saying "Dont sell your MPS just yet, the next 12 to 24 months may get a lot more interesting" is a very unrealistic statement particularily if you are hanging out for a guaranteed, warranteed modding solution.

It still wont change Mazda's policy on voiding your warranty if you mod. Thats fact, just like every other manufacturer (Even Mitsu's own TMR Australia dont warrantee any failures as a result of their own upgrades).

So, if you mod (particularily ECU upgrades), expect to be black listed and left out in the cold when all $hit hits the fan.

Is it just Mazda policy or just about every car maker companie's policy

Well the "reality" as you put it ward, is that not everyone has the warranty as their central issue, and a lot of the first generation MPS’s will be exiting their warranty period over the next 12 to 24 months. Predictably, modding and tuning activity will ramp up.

The aftermarket tuners know this because they work with this cycle all the time. I know of at least 3 Australian based tuners that are now developing integrated and fully tested packages for the MPS.

It's also a fact that unlike 6 months ago, today I can buy a product that gives me full access to the ECU code. The knowledge doesn't yet exist to fully manipulate that code, but it will in due course.

It will not be a good look for Mazda if too many development cars go pop, despite there being no warranty liability for them. So I think Mazda are making moves toward helping tuners unlock the secrets of the DISI engine. It's in their interests to do so.

Regardless of all that, the fact remains that the MPS, like every new car that came before it, is taking the next step in its evolution (what was the tuning situation like for the WRX in 1997?).

I can confidently guarantee the next 12 to 24 months are going to be the most exciting period yet in the life of the MPS and the tuning knowledge developed by the warranty-expired first generation cars will flow on to the new generation MPS’s. Like so many other mature platforms, an MPS buyer will soon be able to take their new car to the Mazda equivalent of MRT and have a fully-sorted low-risk performance upgrade package installed.

Those who don’t chicken out on the MPS are going to be pleased.

Gone to Volvo

20. Default

I guess you're right. Warranty isnt the centre of all existance, but it certainly helps, and while you might think I'm one of those chickens that bailed on the MPS, to be honest, I loved every minute of every drive in it - and I miss it.

Unfortunately though, my financial situation is about to change where I cant have $10k sitting around for a reco motor (or afford a rebuild after bending some rods), so in my case the warranty meant everything. Since Mazda trolled the site and blacklisted a number of MPS's that didnt help, so it was best I pulled the pin and got out while I could.

I really do hope Mazda gets with the programme and does provide the unlock to their ECU's. This will be a fundamental milestone, and will be a sign that those guys at Mazda are maturing.

I doubt very much it will stop blown motors though - it still happens with WRX's and Evos these days, and they've been ECU moddable for years.
    Last edited by Wardski; 24-07-2009 at 09:57 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast