User Tag List

Thread: Torque !!

Default Torque !!

wasn't sure which section to post this under... either this or the Dyno & Results section...

But what are peoples Torque Numbers & what mods have you done...??

Are there any specific mods that would be more beneficial to generating more torque then others?

Is there anyone out there chasing higher torque numbers say over KW or HP gains ??

Just having thoughts and ideas brought on by some discussions on another forum regarding V8's and "torque talks at top end" - rolling on from 100 e.t.c and how 8's will always win at at....

I know there is no replacement for displacement and all that jazz... and i realise upping the torque in our cars to much creates an off the line nightmare... but from a roll on it would have to be beneficial no ?

anyway.. peoples thoughts ?? numbers ??

BLACK 06 MPS3 - HKS SRi/K&N - SU REM - TWM STS & Bushings - Custom MP

Blog Entries

I know there is a difference between a Cold Air Intake and Short Ram Intake when it comes to torque. I would be interested in seeing if people have tested it though.

I noticed a big increase in mid to top end with my SRI installed, especially on the highway or even mountain runs, not having to drop down that extra gear to get that power band and what not.

Wouldn't the torque always be higher then the hp/kW? My dyno sheet is showing more torque then HP/kW

unless something was wrong i think it should always be a bigger number for sure im not questioning that... i meant i wanted to hear from people that were more concerned with Torque numbers over the KW or HP.... not trying to get the number bigger... that just happens...

Blog Entries

Another thing to look at is what range of torque are people looking at? bottom end, mid range or top end.

OT: Paul your Avatar makes me laugh every time I see it

ha i know me to...

yea thats what i was getting at i guess... would one tune or mod differently to get Mid to Top end torque !!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    I know there is no replacement for displacement and all that jazz...
    The replacement for displacement is boost
    Nuliaj: Hatches are only really half a car anyway.
    shinslinger66: And you forgot to add that they are also a girls car!

Torque can directly be calculated from RPM and Power. There's 2 ways to increase torque, increase power or decrease RPM. For example, to increase torque by 5% at lets say 4000RPM, you need to increase power by 5% at 4000RPM because power is directly proportional to torque.

Or, likewise, to increase torque by 5% you could decrease the RPM by 5%. If you decrease the RPM from 4000 to 3800 RPM and keep the same amount of power, you will see an increase in torque. This is EXACTLY what your gearbox and diff do! By decreasing the speed through a series of gears, torque is multiplied.

So next time some ass in a V8 tells you it's all about torque, tell them... Yes that's true, but it's torque at the wheels, not the engine!
    Last edited by Luke; 14-05-2009 at 12:31 PM. Reason: spelling

Blog Entries

so is that why you see engines with a massive amount of torque usually with a low RPM range?

Yep absolutely. If you take a look at a dyno chart, you will notice that as the power is increasing the torque will stay relatively level, as soon as the power starts to level out, the torque drops off because revs are increasing but power isn't. If your really keen, the actual calcuation is:

T= P*60
    2*Pi*N

Where T is Torque in Newton Metres,
    P is Power in Watts (*1000 for KW),
    and N is speed in Revolutions Per Minute
    (Pi is Pi, 3.14159...etc.)

Is there anyone out there chasing higher torque numbers say over KW or HP gains ??
    KW and HP measure exactly the same thing, power, they are just using a different scale. 1 HP = 0.746 KW.

Blog Entries

Thats actually an interesting thing to look at...

Would be interesting to see about just focusing on torque rather than HP/KW.

I have noticed my car seemed more responsive and pulled a lot harder with a SRI on but never really noticed more "umph" or power...and also noticing it pulling harder at a lower RPM range. Could this be a increase in torque?

I guess so, but if you have had an increase in torque at a given RPM, then you have also had an equal increase in power at the same RPM.

Blog Entries

and I guess without Dyno results I can't prove much either

Ha ha lol, not really

interesting... thanks for that...

our 380nm of torque is at the engine though is it not ? in standard form ?

Yeah, they always quote figures at the engine.

When looking at my dyno graph. It has the Kw at the wheels at the top and the torque under that. would that be torque at the wheels or at the engine also.

wheels

yea if your on a dyno tone then its all readings from the wheels !!