User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Notchy/Crunching Gearbox

Any info on why my gearbox is so notchy between gears, I can even hear the crunch sound!

There are a few things I would check, but firstly under what conditions does it crunch?
    IE. I know mine did it a few times from 2nd>3rd when on it hard and that was due to the rear engine mount.

3. Default

Change the gearbox oil to Redline or Penrite and you'll get less crunching. Also recommend picking up a new Rear Engine mount - either Street Unit with 50duro inserts, or the CP-E one. This will make shifting much smoother under heavy accelleration.

FYI, the MPS gearbox is naturally crunchy stock. Theres nothing you can do but try to minimise it as noted above.

Possibly changing to the solid shifter bushings as well.

Rear mount.. if its happening while your giving the car some curry

New oil if its happening while your driving like Miss daisy, AND the car is warm.

Nothing at all, if your car is still cold (and hopefully being driven by Miss Daidy again while cold)

Report further..

I don't believe the oil will make much difference, Mazda assumed the same and put some new **** in which did nothing at all... As for the rear engine mount, what do I get, where from and for how much? Also, where do I get it fitted?

For oil try Penrite SYN 75W-90 as this has been proven to make a difference.
    For the mount try
    Streeunit.com
    protegegarage.com
    or of course
    mpsgarage.com.au

http://mpsgarage.com.au/shop/product...ine-mount.html

My weapon of choice was the TRZ but its like a big blue vibrator before it wears in.

if you can get gear local, do that as its much easier then dealing with US shops

MPS Garage - Australia Store
    Medieval Rear Engine Mount or CPE Rear Engine Mount
    Install can be done by yourself, should take 30mins tops and is a matter of jacking the front up going under to remove stock mount and fit new mount

For shifter base bushings - check out TWM Performance - US Store
    to make the gear changes smoother again or buy the shortshifter kit

Then to add some icing, change to higher quality gear oil like Penrite/Motul

That should be all you need, if your on a budget, just go for the Rear Engine mount.
    I have all the above (TRZ Delrin Engine mount, TWM Shortshifter with base bushings and Motul MT90 gearbox oil) and its made gear shifting much easier when giving it some
    Last edited by KRNAGE; 02-05-2009 at 03:54 PM.

CPE in a 75 duro.
    Little to no vibes.. and no wheel hop, unless you launch like an idiot in the wet

As said above, you can do it yourself... not a big job

I have the same very notchy/clunky transmission. Mostly 1st to 2nd and sometimes also to 3rd when driving like "Miss Daisy". Makes a real "Clunk/Crunch!!". Most noticeable when idling at the lights and you go to grab 1st to move off. Probably 50% of the time it goes only half way into the gate. You have to drop back to neutral, pop the clutch and try again. Pretty bloody embarrasing really 'cause it looks like ya can't drive the thing (haha... perhaps it is me). If you are on a bit of a slope and allow the car to roll (either fwd or back) it will always go in OK. I have tried the Redline MT-90 gearbox oil and soild shifter bushings. No difference at all. Next service Mazda will be requested to have a look at this for me. Seems to be getting worse as the car ages (only 30,000klms now).
    Cheers, Clarry
    Mods: MazdaSpeed CAI, Blue Callipers, Custom Striping ("whiskers"), Garmin Nuvi 760, ScanGauge II, MPS FloorMats

Quote Originally Posted by KRNAGE View Post
    I have all the above (TRZ Delrin Engine mount, TWM Shortshifter with base bushings and Motul MT90 gearbox oil) and its made gear shifting much easier when giving it some
    I'm happy to spend the money and go all of that, but lets get one thing straight... I don't touch my car on my own, if someones willing to give me a hand to fit it all, I'm happy to pay... any takers? With the short shift, I'd like to go for a drive with someone who already has this setup just to see the difference before I do anything.

Also, can someone post me the direct link to the TRZ Delrin Engine mount, and TWM Shortshifter with base bushings so I can buy it all.
    Has anyone used this mount setup yet?
    http://www.mpsgarage.com.au/shop/pro...mount-set.html
    Last edited by mpsJOE; 03-05-2009 at 09:12 AM.

no takers im guessing lol

I've had almost exact same symptoms as you guys. Installing engine mount next. hoping for a dramatic improvement.

mpsJOE, you in Melbourne? if you are you could check out my ride and I can help out with install

i have same issues with the Street Engine Mount installed... looking to get gear box oil changed next week to see if that helps...

also looking to get under to see if everything is still all nice and tight !!

hopefully oil does it cause my fiance keeps saying my driving is SH*T haha and i am over it

16. Default

Another for the TRZ mount. Great piece. I am no mechanic either but the rear mount and the shifter are dead set easy mods to do yourself. There is a great 'how to' for the shifter on the MS forum. It took me as an absolute beginner around 45mins. The rear mount is a 10 min job, just some ramps, a socket and some loctite. Piece of cake. You really do get a kick out of it when you do it yourself.

I was the same as Cosmic and still am no mechanic but you can fit those basic parts VERY easily, hardest part is probably trying to clean your hands without the mrs telling you to clean the whole basin

MPSjoe did you end up fixing this issue? My gearbox tends to be a little notchy at times too. Particularly when getting into 1st gear from a standing start. But it only happens to me on the odd occasion, and to get it in gear, i just re-clutch and it engages smoothly again..not sure what it could be...

Havent fixed it, saw my mechanic the other day and he told me an engine mount will definitely not make a difference... Apparently its not a normal sounding gearbox. Mine is evident if say, rolling at 60km/h, i press the clutch in and shift between 3rd and fourth, up and down while the clutch is still in and you can hear it crunching. Any suggestions, my warranty is running out and my mechanic reckons mazda is just trying to buy time so that after warranty is gone it's too late.

Sorry KRNAGE just noticed your question from 3 months ago... No I'm not in Melbourne.
    Last edited by mpsJOE; 30-07-2009 at 05:04 PM.

Just buy the new model apparently they have fixed that problem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast