User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Water Methanol Injection

Default Water Methanol Injection

Just wanna get some feedback from anybody who is running a setup on there MPS.
    Been looking into running a basic setup for the obvious intake cooling benefits but also the fact that it keeps the inlet and valves clean.
    Does anybody know of any downsides?

Cheers Rob

Im running the Devils Own stage 2 kit, short of being technically illegal (as are a lot of mods anyway), there are no downsides to running WMI, aside from topping the reservoir up every few weeks.

Happy to show mine off if you are coming to Scottish Arms cruise.

Yeah I've got one in my car. Is it Australian Illegal or state specific illegal? I'm pretty sure I told my insurance I had water injection and they didn't bat an eyelid, just added it to my policy without even increasing excess or fees. (oddly did same for tune....)

I did note that when I had my intercooler and piping off to hunt for a boost leak there there was a streak of a bit of rust near where the water injection nozzle was so that's probably only negative I can think of. Well apart from keeping the whole thing reasonably clean. I'm using the stock resonator chamber which is down near your front left wheel on the 6 as my resevoir. It's perfectly positioned and has a space where the pump fits very well without any modification. It does however present a problem for plugging the top of it. I ended up using a standard rubber sink plug.... I did lose one though, either the guy working on my car wasn't sure what it was and threw it out or it bounced out and fell out bottom of car.

So in summary, biggest issue with Meth/Water system is that your sink plug may fall out of your engine bay.

While we are discussing this for the others running these kinds of systems what liquid you using?

Personally I'm using Water and Methylated Spirits in a 50/50 mix by volume (which is different to weight). Seems to work pretty well, is reasonably cheap, easy to mix by volume and widely available.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ledfootrob View Post
    Just wanna get some feedback from anybody who is running a setup on there MPS.
    Been looking into running a basic setup for the obvious intake cooling benefits but also the fact that it keeps the inlet and valves clean.
    Does anybody know of any downsides?

Cheers Rob

Rob, we run methanol systems on several makes and models and we have always experienced upsides and never any downsides.

The benefits are just those that you listed and if you want to build a track tune that allows additional timing... you can!

The horror stories that you hear online are from improper installs or people who allow the system to run out. If you install the system properly and monitor it close it will give you years of trouble free service.

We carry Snow Performance meth systems and we can make custom systems as well (port injection with a 5th nozzle option).

Let me know if there is anything I can help with.

Thanks,

John

---------- Post added at 07:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nepharius View Post
    Yeah I've got one in my car. Is it Australian Illegal or state specific illegal? I'm pretty sure I told my insurance I had water injection and they didn't bat an eyelid, just added it to my policy without even increasing excess or fees. (oddly did same for tune....)

I did note that when I had my intercooler and piping off to hunt for a boost leak there there was a streak of a bit of rust near where the water injection nozzle was so that's probably only negative I can think of. Well apart from keeping the whole thing reasonably clean. I'm using the stock resonator chamber which is down near your front left wheel on the 6 as my resevoir. It's perfectly positioned and has a space where the pump fits very well without any modification. It does however present a problem for plugging the top of it. I ended up using a standard rubber sink plug.... I did lose one though, either the guy working on my car wasn't sure what it was and threw it out or it bounced out and fell out bottom of car.

So in summary, biggest issue with Meth/Water system is that your sink plug may fall out of your engine bay.

While we are discussing this for the others running these kinds of systems what liquid you using?

Personally I'm using Water and Methylated Spirits in a 50/50 mix by volume (which is different to weight). Seems to work pretty well, is reasonably cheap, easy to mix by volume and widely available.
    Try a 70/30 mix by volume, the higher methanol content really wakes up the MZR engine, and if you tune a little for it... its amazing.

Isn't anything more than 50/50 flammable O_o

I'm doing 30/70 (30 meth, 70 water) just for cooling...

pretty sure its flammable anyway, thats kind of the point right?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

anything under 50% shouldn't be flammable.

The point of the water / meth is to increase octane + cool intake charge not to add more combustable liquid

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy22587 View Post

The point of the water / meth is to increase octane + cool intake charge not to add more combustable liquid
    In theory yes... but if you pour enough meth in, its the same as adding more fuel... ATM, anyone wanting to crack more than about 300wkw (400hp) needs meth
    Its how they got 700hp from a 3, by dumping 300hp of meth in there to compensate for the crap fuel system in this engine (injectors can't support any more, and we are unable to get replacements like the evo/wrx guys)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by SarcasticOne; 28-05-2012 at 07:56 PM.
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy22587 View Post

chemical cooling and octane = more combustible = flammable.
    since when does alcohol mix properly with water anyway?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Thanks for the info guys. I think i'll got for a system that runs off the MAF signal. Im not planning on doing any tuning for it either just want the cooler BAT's and cleaner engine.

Hmm for the average user don't expect any more power from this modification you do it to fight against heatsoak and keep intake temperatures down. When the guys at Horse Power Factory in Melbourne tuned my car they also tuned it for Meth and did a run (for free) but left me with it tuned without the system going. It showed you can get a few extra kw out of the engine by advancing timing and running 50/50, potentially more if you run a richer methanol/ethanol mix (note methylated spririts is not methanol) however if anything fails you could be in quite a bit of trouble.

For those who really do want to use it for that extra performance hit you'd definately need a meth system which can sense a lack of flow which would indicate an empty tank or some kind of blockage and then a system which causes your car to revert to a safer tune. Tuning for meth without any failsafes could be a very dangerous and expensive proposition. I believe some people in the US run systems with the kind of failsafes I mentioned so it's definitely doable.

Finally installed a Snow Performance Stage 1 kit that runs off a boost sensor. First time i've seen my BATS below my ambient temps. Works really well.

Do you guys have any pictures of your install and nozzle location?

Default Re: Water Methanol Injection

Can get some for you.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by kevstewart View Post
    @LOOPYMPS has installed one too
    Good results and clean install

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

Quote Originally Posted by kevstewart View Post
    Check out my ride thread for pics of my install

Thanks guys, just looking to get as much info as possible before buying & installing

Quote Originally Posted by ledfootrob View Post
    Can get some for you.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    Thst would be great - thanks

Here you go.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20121210_160421.jpg 
Views:	709 
Size:	153.7 KB 
ID:	13257
    Nozzle and where i tapped into the vacuum line for the boost switch

Name:	20121210_160435.jpg 
Views:	630 
Size:	281.4 KB 
ID:	13258
    Filler

Name:	20121210_154430.jpg 
Views:	453 
Size:	125.9 KB 
ID:	13259
    Green for when the system is spraying and red when the tank gets low

Name:	20121210_155748.jpg 
Views:	1305 
Size:	140.9 KB 
ID:	13260Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20121210_155757.jpg 
Views:	786 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	13261
    Pump was mounted next to the tank originally but when i went to put the front bumper back on
    I realised it was the in the way of foglight so i moved it to in front of the tank.

Name:	20121210_160402.jpg 
Views:	463 
Size:	134.3 KB 
ID:	13262
    Solenoid - was originally installed between the tank and the pump but i was having priming issues.
    So i moved it after the pump closer to the nozzle and has been fine so far.

Name:	20121210_160450.jpg 
Views:	575 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	13263
    Fill tube which is glued into the lid with Fuel/Methanol resistant glue.

Because 3 quarts or 2.8L was too a little on the small side I decided to upgrade my storage capacity especially with a trackday coming up. So I got these two 6 quart or 5.6L Tanks. It was better to have 2 tall tanks to prevent sloshing and I joined them together with some Speedflow fittings and some braided hose. Now as the tanks are connected I only fill 1 tank and then the other tank auto fills and they even out. 10L should last me up to a month at a time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast