User Tag List

Thread: Cracked CP-e exhaust

Default Cracked CP-e exhaust

Handed my car to a friend who's a mechanic so he could do an alignment and change gear box oil for me and while he had the car looked it over. Called me up to tell me that my CP-e cat back had cracked around the muffler weld. I found this to be very interesting and pretty shocked, can't say I'm overly impressed.
    He's taken my car down to another shop to see if they can weld it back together, unfortunately he isn't able too because it's stainless steel.
    Just curious if anyone else has heard or seen this happen before?

did u get it from mpsgarage?i would take it back to them since they have a lifetime warranty.

How bad is the fracture?

Bought it from a member on here.
    Half way around where the pipe meets the muffler.

Sounds like a significant fracture then. my guess is the weld didn't penetrate the metal well enough when it was fabricated, unless...any chance you hit something and bumped it?

Maybe 2 different grades of stainless (pipe vs muffler) so it didn't weld properly. I'm sure any decent exhaust place can fix it up for you. still crap though

Yeah I have no idea how it happened or if it is just one of those things that can happen during manufacturing. I've got a place that my mate has near his work called 'race solutions', anyone in Sydney will probably know them and they took a look and said they'll weld it up again at no charge. While I'm at it I'll ask them to shorten the pipe so it doesn't stick out so much past the rear bar. Only thing is I have to take it off and take it to them. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil MPS View Post
    Yeah I have no idea how it happened or if it is just one of those things that can happen during manufacturing. I've got a place that my mate has near his work called 'race solutions', anyone in Sydney will probably know them and they took a look and said they'll weld it up again at no charge. While I'm at it I'll ask them to shorten the pipe so it doesn't stick out so much past the rear bar. Only thing is I have to take it off and take it to them. Good times.
    That's really nice of them to do that for no charge.
    Here in the west that'd be worth at least a slab.
    Good times indeed. I'll check my CPe tomorrow to make sure there's no fracture.

Mainly cause my mates a mechanic and everyone around at the car places know him cause he's good at what he does and he's the biggest dealership haha
    they might still charge for shortening it but we'll see.

Yeah might be an idea for anyone with a cp-e just to check it out. Better safe then sorry that's for sure

Cp-e are very good with warranty claims but if you bought it second hand then you're probably out of luck.

yeah that was my thought about it, should be getting re welded today at some point, mates still got my car and he'll take the exhaust off at work and take it down

Due to the nature of stainless steel, the constant heating, expanding and contracting makes stainless work harden.
    Overtime it will crack.
    A flawed design/welding process will also cause cracking (not directing this at any particular person/company)
    Any shop can weld it back together, stainless is nothing special.

There's so many factors involved that you can't blame it on any person or particular event, just one of those things. Just a few places around here don't want to do it because it's stainless, but meh I know a good exhaust place will