User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mazda 3 MPS Officially Goes on Sale in Australia

Blog Entries

Default Mazda 3 MPS Officially Goes on Sale in Australia

The new, smiling, Mazda3 MPS has gone on sale in Australia. Entry level pricing undercuts the old model by a couple of hundred bucks and starts at $39,960. If you want the fancy pants Luxury model you’ll need to cough up an extra $3,330.

For your money you get a racier looking MPS these days, mainly due that stonking big scoop in the bonnet. Although, apart from that, the rest of the body plays an understated Q-car tune.

The tune from the 2.3 litre turbo four cylinder is common to the previous generation. Well, kind of. The specs on paper are virtually the same—190kW at 5500rpm and 380Nm at 3000Nm—but the Mazda propeller heads have fiddled around with a few bits to make it a smoother drive, with less torque steer. These tweaks have also yielded some ever so marginal improvements to fuel economy (9.9l/100km, reduced by 0.1l) and exhaust emissions (235g/km, reduced by 3g/km). Mazda say the MPS can sprint from rest to 100km/h in 6.1 seconds, and if you’re a motoring journo from WA, you’ll probably be willing give the 250km/h top speed a good nudge, too.

The 3 MPS comes standard with a fair bit of kit, including a six speed manual transmission, Dynamic Stability Control, Traction Control System, Anti-lock Braking System, Electronic Brake-force Distribution and Emergency Brake Assist, six airbags and active front head restraints. There’s also an in built sat-nav system, featuring a 4.1″ screen with maps stored away on SD cards. The unit also ties in with the car’s on board computer and Bluetooth phone prep. Dual-zone climate control and a 3-position memory electric front seat complete the major list of goodies on the inside.

Mazda reckon they’ll sell a bit over 800 MPS models a year, with around 60% of those being the Luxury spec. For their extra cash Mazda obliges Luxury owners with bi-xenon headlights (including Adaptive Front-lighting system), auto dimming rear view mirrors, auto wipers and a 10 speaker Bose stereo. Although, strangley, Luxury owners do lose 32 litres of rear boot space, while gaining an extra 14kg in weight. Presumably this is due to the subwoofer that comes with the Bose stereo.

Like the first generation Mazda3 the new model has been selling extraordinarily well. So, despite the latest Mazda3 MPS lacking some interior refinement next to its German rivals, one can assume Mazda will have no trouble shifting it’s newest and hottest 3 out the door either.

There are plenty of new pics after the jump and if you want to pore over all the marketing guff you can download Mazda’s press doc here.

[Source: AUSmotive.com]

Last edited by armthehomeless; 22-07-2009 at 06:17 AM.
    2014 Mk7 Golf R | DSG | Reflex Silver | Leather | Drive Assist | Bi-Xenon Headlights
    1981 Lincoln Town Car | Auto | 80s Cream | 90s brown interior | 5.0L V8 | Currently no working headlights

Awesome, loving the pics armthehomeless

Some great pics here, the silver reminds me of the silver used on aeroplanes!

Good article too!

Love the silver - definitely the colour I'm going to get

I was going to say the opposite....
    Im not that sure on silver, I think the Blue, Red or Black would be my choice....

Edit:
    I just finished viewing the pics, then I looked at a members Silver car (from the UK), and I just realised how much better the new MPS looks now.....
    Last edited by MPS3; 22-07-2009 at 01:25 PM.

I generally hate silver cars with a passion, dont know why, just do......but I dont mind this silver, it looks more like a real silver paint than a poxy metallic fleck.

Its not silver...its aluminium metallic

Happy Motoring
    duglet

Meh, I'll be keeping my awesome '08 MPS thank you very much Mazda... (maybe for a bit longer anyway, having way to much fun...)

A.

Boot button...= FAIL

Mazda3 MPS: hot-hatch goes passive-aggressive

Japanese brand takes on Golf GTI and WRX with tougher but more refined second-generation Mazda3 MPS.

2009 Mazda3 MPS

Mazda’s second-generation MPS hot-hatch has adopted a passive-aggressive approach to take on the likes of Volkswagen’s Golf GTI and Subaru’s Impreza WRX.

The new Mazda3 MPS launched in Australia this week aiming to appeal to a broader audience by mixing refined driving manners with tougher styling.
    A WRX-style bonnet scoop, larger rear roof spoiler and flared wheel-arches all contribute to an appropriately muscular look for a car that is the fastest in the Mazda range.

Mazda admits it gave the new MPS more of a “boy racer” design in response to criticisms that its predecessor looked too similar to regular Mazda3s and too conservative compared to other hot-hatch rivals.
    Australia’s favourite importer brand says, however, it has set out to make the MPS driving experience less raw.

Mazda claims the new MPS is up to 11 percent quieter at 60km/h and its suspension is better damped, while the company’s engineers have also tried to tame the torque steer that blighted the original.

There’s no change to the 190kW and 380Nm of torque being sent to the front wheels via a (revised) six-speed manual, with Mazda retaining the 2.3-litre direct-injection turbocharged four-cylinder.

Improved aerodynamics improve fuel efficiency and carbon dioxide emissions slightly – from 10.0L/100km to 9.9 and from 238g/km to 235 respectively.

The 0-100km/h sprint time remains at 6.1 seconds despite the new MPS weighing 50kg more than its predecessor, owing mostly to its bigger size (75mm longer; 5mm lower and wider) and extra body strengthening.
    That’s sufficient to keep the 3 MPS ahead of the company’s RX-8 sports car as Mazda’s quickest model.

The new MPS is priced from $39,960 – $30 less than the previous version – while the range-topping Luxury costs $43,290 – $400 less.

Mazda says the Luxury model will account for 60 per cent of the 70 MPS sales it hopes to achieve each month. The company has sold more than 1500 3 MPS models since the car launched in mid 2006.

The MPS also gains extra equipment over its predecessor, including a multi-function display, Bluetooth, power driver’s seat, half-leather sports bucket seats, sunglasses holder, and keyless entry and engine start.

Other standard items for both models include satellite navigation, climate controlled air-conditioning, in-dash six-CD player with MP3 compatibility and auxiliary jack, cruise control, leather-wrapped steering wheel, power windows and mirrors, 18-inch alloy wheels (borrowed from the RX-8), LED tail-lights, and a sports body kit.

The Luxury model’s features list is made superior by the addition of an auto dimming rear mirror, automatic bi-xenon headlights with adaptive light system, premium Bose stereo and rain-sensing wipers.

Inside, the cabin features a driver-oriented, wraparound cockpit while the gearshift lever is now closer to the driver.

Black is the main colour throughout the interior, while the seats and trim fabric have a red graphic design. There is red stitching on the steering wheel, seats, door trim, gear lever surround and centre armrest.

Safety includes stability control, six airbags and active front head restraints to help reduce whiplash injuries.
    Jaedene Hudson
    July 22, 2009

Source: drive.com.au

12. Default

I must be the only one who thinks all the new-gen Mazdas look ridiculous. I might have bought one were it not for the stupid smiley face on the front.

*ducks for cover*

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Armthehomeless View Post
    I must be the only one who thinks all the new-gen Mazdas look ridiculous. I might have bought one were it not for the stupid smiley face on the front.

*ducks for cover*
    You not the only one

Im waiting to see the new MPS in the flesh, hoping it will save Mazda some face.
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

14. Default

It just looks so cartoonish to me. Like it belongs in a Disney Pixar animation.

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Armthehomeless View Post
    It just looks so cartoonish to me. Like it belongs in a Disney Pixar animation.
    You're definately not the only one... I've already made reference to a Japanese manga Cat Bus.... in another thread, and I was forced to purchase a Subaru Impreza STi Spec R as a result....
    Last edited by Wardski; 22-07-2009 at 07:06 PM.

Looking more like waiting for the R20 VW.

Just too happy looking for my likeing and whats going on with the red wood grain trim and the hole in the boot and tailight?

17. Default

Quote Originally Posted by zippymps3 View Post
    Looking more like waiting for the R20 VW.

Just too happy looking for my likeing and whats going on with the red wood grain trim and the hole in the boot and tailight?
    The 2010 VW Sirocco R may be a winner for me in 3 years (next upgrade time), especially when it looks this good! Should be a good buy, right about when I'm having my mid life crisis

Last edited by Wardski; 22-07-2009 at 07:58 PM.

I think the '08 and previous MPS was much, much better! I think I've been known to call it 'awesome' even once or twice. Mazda has always needed to fight against the 'hairdressers' style of motor vehicle; work out exactly where they wanted to fit into the Australian Car Industry. I think they may have been a bit confused, possibly misguided throughout 1998 until the new (now previous model) was produced and sold, and sold bloody, bloody well!

Mazda achieved this, they produced the Mazda3, backed it up with the Mazda6 then went well beyond the sterotype with the SP23 and then arguably the greatest Mazda of all time, the MPS.

I honestly think they have taken a massive step backward with the ‘New Generation’. As some of you know, I only purchased my MPS some 1-2months ago. I actually went shopping, to the dealership, with the intent of buying the new SP25 (upgrading from my much loved SP23). After no more than two days of deliberation I purchased a ’08 MPS.

I don’t like the new body shape, I don’t like the new interior, I don’t like the new seriously bunched up switches on the new steering wheel – and that’s not just the SP25. Yes I’ve now seen the MPS in person and I don’t like it.

This wasn’t meant to be a ’09 MPS bashing; luckily in Australia we have the luxury of free speech.

Keep it real.

A.

prefer the mk1 mps!! ta very much!!

You all know where my thoughts are.

...It'll be more evident in 25 more sleeps (ok, maybe 30...) when a new Black MPS Luxury is Zooming the streets of Brisy.

Jealousy is a b*tch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast