User Tag List

Thread: 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata is finally here

Default 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata is finally here

Filed under: Convertible, Performance, Mazda

Ladies and gentlemen, meet the 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata. The highly anticipated fourth-generation (ND) model made its official debut in Monterey, CA this evening, and while details are slim as of this writing, there's one big thing to talk about: less weight.

Yes, Mazda has confirmed that the new Miata sheds some 220 pounds over the model it replaces, and is "the most compact of any generation MX-5 so far." For those keeping track, that means the new MX-5 should weigh somewhere around 2,200 pounds.

Mazda's Kodo design language is obvious here, with a seriously wide and low demeanor, and a mix of flowing lines and sharp angles. We don't have any powertrain details to report as of this writing, but Mazda says the full suite of Skyactiv technologies are onboard, and the motto in creating this car was "Innovate in order to preserve."

Click the image above to see the new MX-5 Miata in high resolution, click below for the press release, and stay tuned to this space for more details as they break.Continue reading 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata is finally here
    2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata is finally here originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 03 Sep 2014 21:15:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
    Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

That looks kinda cool....but i'm not a hairdresser so i won't need one

No turbo from the looks of things...
    Wish there was more info on the engine

Yeah a little more spec on the engine would be nice. Having taken an 86 out for a spin last week, the idea of a light weight rear appealed to me... I like the 86 but want something a little bit less toyota-ish and more Mazda-ish in terms of build quality

People keep saying it looks like a S2000... Have a few drinks and stare at it long enough and it will look like anything...

6. Default

It looks like a scaled down Ferrari California. I like it a lot and at least 2 of us here will be picking them up.

Quote Originally Posted by brandonjATCorkSport View Post
    It looks like a scaled down Ferrari California. I like it a lot and at least 2 of us here will be picking them up.
    I get a lot of California too, esp in the back end. Depending on price I'm actually quite keen too! (if it comes in at 50 grand again they can get buggered)

I really don't like the rear end. It's very, very wrong. Front is ok, but I wish the front grille was taller.
    Still, waiting for a new mps 6

Watch the launch video, it looks a lot better in the context of people walking around it.

10. Default

Thats like 45k USD. I dont think ours cost more than 35K fully loaded. Are all y'all's imports that high?

The gen 2 was what, $40k?

Thats like 45k USD. I dont think ours cost more than 35K fully loaded. Are all y'all's imports that high?
    For context, base wrx is 38,990
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    The gen 2 was what, $40k?
    Think so...
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

13. Default

Wow, I have even more respect for y'all's dedication!

Wow, I have even more respect for y'all's dedication!
    It's called the Australia Tax. We get ripped for most imports and especially cars. On the plus side our minimum wage and working conditions are better than the US. We are also known as the land of the long weekend (not to confused with out neighbours in NZ from the land of the long white cloud).
    CX7 - The younger, taller and sexier replacement for the MPS6 and the first car designed around the MZR DISI
    2007 CX7 2.3 DISI AWD Ice Blue | HID's | ETS TMIC | Cobb XLE BOV | CX9 20" wheels | 245/50/20 Scorpion STR's | CS HPFP | CX9 Brakes | Pedders Sports Ryders -40mm | CS Turbo | JBR 3.5" WPI | Cooling Mist WMI |Versatune

Yeep, our government taxes us so much its not funny (but hey its a debt CRISIS won't someone think of the children!)

Also for context my 6 MPS was close to $50K.

A typical Porsche in Australia is almost double the price... Even when the dollar was equal to USD. Things like DVDs are twice to 3 times the cost. Its £#&@ing BS.

16. Default

Quote Originally Posted by spooon View Post
    Yeep, our government taxes us so much its not funny (but hey its a debt CRISIS won't someone think of the children!)

Also for context my 6 MPS was close to $50K.

A typical Porsche in Australia is almost double the price... Even when the dollar was equal to USD. Things like DVDs are twice to 3 times the cost. Its £#&@ing BS.
    ^^^ How is that tax related? I didn't think the luxary car tax is 100%.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

17. Default

Quote Originally Posted by o0 Matt 0o View Post
    ^^^ How is that tax related? I didn't think the luxary car tax is 100%.

Might have more to do with supply and damand. We are willing to pay, retailers can charge more.

LCT plus import duties plus small market and prices for exclusivity all contribute.

A year or so ago Wheels pointed out how much more expensive German hi-po V8's were compared to US owned made in Oz products. There is discriminatory taxation that effectively subsidies the US owned car companies in Australia. The US doesn't do this which is why all their performance cars are much less expensive than ours.

Quote Originally Posted by spooon View Post
    Things like DVDs are twice to 3 times the cost. Its £#&@ing BS.
    This is actually slowly getting better. I just found JB Hifi online to be the same price as Zaavi UK for preordering BIg Bang Theory season 7 on DVD or Bluray.
    CX7 - The younger, taller and sexier replacement for the MPS6 and the first car designed around the MZR DISI
    2007 CX7 2.3 DISI AWD Ice Blue | HID's | ETS TMIC | Cobb XLE BOV | CX9 20" wheels | 245/50/20 Scorpion STR's | CS HPFP | CX9 Brakes | Pedders Sports Ryders -40mm | CS Turbo | JBR 3.5" WPI | Cooling Mist WMI |Versatune

Quote Originally Posted by o0 Matt 0o View Post
    Might have more to do with supply and damand. We are willing to pay, retailers can charge more.

Quote Originally Posted by ozynigma View Post
    LCT plus import duties plus small market and prices for exclusivity all contribute.

A year or so ago Wheels pointed out how much more expensive German hi-po V8's were compared to US owned made in Oz products. There is discriminatory taxation that effectively subsidies the US owned car companies in Australia. The US doesn't do this which is why all their performance cars are much less expensive than ours.
    Also, given the exchange rate, it was still cheaper to buy Australian cars in the US than locally...

The new commodore for example...
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings