User Tag List

Thread: Gen 1 or Gen 2 MPS 3. Will also consider MPS6

Blog Entries

Default Gen 1 or Gen 2 MPS 3. Will also consider MPS6

Hi Just thought I'd throw it out there, but if anyone has a Gen 1 or Gen2 that they are considering parting with, I might be interested.
    For a Gen 1 I would be looking for < 100,000K
    For a Gen 2 I would be looking for <50,000K

As I have a Gen1 with 250,000K on it it seems there would be maintenance advantages to having two. I've honestly been struggling finding another make/model that engages me as much. Spent today test Driving cars and came away with a new appreciation of my MPS. I'm considering a second in leiu of a new to newish low-K vehicle. Drive one while the other is being reconditioned.

Mine still gets up and boogies but Turbo is leaking so it's chewing oil. Need to give it a rest.

I also have this crazy hankering to AWD covert a Gen 1 and take it around the Targa Tas.
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

2. Default

I just bought a Mzda 3 mps (gen 2 i think it is) 2010 luxuary for 20k 63,000ks on the clock. I was looking for so long. There are a fair few MPS's for sale on carsale, gumtree which meet your criteria, but you will be paying around 25k for a gen 2 under 50,000ks. Depends on your budget i guess.

Just thought id share, but guessing you would have checked those sites already hey ? If you can spend 25k, you can definitely pick up a nice one that meets your needs. Good luck anyway

Blog Entries

Yeah I have to broaden my search a bit I think. I had been hoping a dealer in south east queensland would turn one up I'd be happy with. There's one at Norris in Kedron BNE, but I'm suss on it. On the test drive I went on it didn't seem to have anything at the bottom end, the turbo seemed to have way too much lag. I know the 1-2 gear ratios are higher, and uncertain if I was dreaming it or not, but there seemed to be something not right. If someone else who has a good one would like to visit 'em give it a drive and tell me what you think, I'd appreciate it.

As it turns out it's currently in the last month of it's factory warranty, the car has 55,000K on it but logbooks are lost and Mazda can only verify 30,000K service. When we lifted the hood, The top drivers side engine mount didn't look right to me (I'm not a mechanic, and didn't confirm by comparing with mine, but looked sunken.) and what also stood out to me is that the top of the engine (valve cover) had a corroded surface. Mine's pristine in comparison. I do wonder if the Gen2 having a bonnet scoop contributes to that, or maybe something else has gone on; what occurs to me would be a popped an engine tuning it and fitted a replacement engine, maybe even a Gen1 engine. So in hindsight I'd want to check the engine details against original.

Yeah there's a few around - still hunting.
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

4. Default

I ended up flying down to Newcastle to get mine and driving back, was so much fun and great way to get used to it. I wish i could help you out more, but i dont know much about these cars as i have never owned a mazda but the boost in mine works really well , but there does seem to be some turbo lag, maybe 2 secs sometimes . But most of the time its fine.

How much are you looking to spend if you dont mind me asking as i did see a fair few nice ones for 25k. There was a nice blue one for 25k at 8 mile plains, which is near Mt Gravatt if you know where that is. Also saw a silver one on gumtree 2009 with 71,000ks for 20k but said she would take 19k. I was nearly going to buy that one but i wanted the luxuary model. And another one on carsales a silver one for 25k but its up near Cairns, it had 44,000ks on the clock.

Blog Entries

Default Bought - One MY13 MPS 3

Ended up purchasing from BNE dealer after getting it checked out. Missing subwooder, amp and tools. Had to reconstruct service logs which came up OK. I'm chasing down replacements for the missing bits, excepting the sub. Maybe later but I don't really care about that hugely. Call it weight reduction

Thought about doing a long trip, but convenience and availability won out.

6. Default

So what did you end up getting . What year, how many ks and how much did it cost you ?

Blog Entries

MY 2013
    50,000Km on the clock
    $24,000

Fairly late build, I think. It's still got some factory warranty left. I don't think they made an MY14 MPS (?)

8. Default

Nice one man, hope you enjoy it

Blog Entries

I am and I'm sure I will. I get to choose which MPS I'll drive today every morning. It's great.

My BK - a 260,000K veteran - got it's first run in almost a week yesterday. It's fairly cold up here in Toowoomba and with the oil having settled in the gearbox and presumably then turned to treacle in the cold, OMG was the (short) shifter stiff at first.

I can't help but make some comparisons. Overall the BL is totally more civilised all around, however, in stock trim it seems a bit soft to me. Not the suspension, which oddly enough doesn't feel much different to the coilovers in my BK; a big improvement over the stock BK-MPS suspension which lifted a bit on recovery after heavy compressions (like a long period bounce bounce). Stock BL suspension seems better than stock BK. Where I'd call it soft is the torque delivery and throttle response, but this is where I'm not sure I can make a stock-for-stock comparison because the BK has been modded so long. Suffice to say that my BK in customised trim with a clapped out oil drinking turbo is still the performance winner by a significant margin.

Steering: electric power steering is shit. That's not to say the BL steering is shit. It isn't - it's very good. But it's definitely not quite as sharp and communicative as the BL's hydraulics IMO. I don't fully understand what they've done for the power steering in the BL yet - computer controlled electric something apparently - they did something with the computer (reset center position ?) yesterday when I took it for service to solve an intermittent and momentary loss of power steering assist in low speed manoeuvring.

And I have plans on them both. Not much room under the rear guards for wider fitments and overtracking I see. Looks like there's as much as 10mm less (vertical plumbline from inside guard to sidewall) clearance than the BK. Pretty much any overtrack or wider tyre fitment looks set to need the guards rolled, and that looks less than straightforward since there's a weld seam along the lip....But people have reported being able to roll the guards, so...I guess I'll find out. I might do a test fitment of 235/40 at +48 offset using my BK's wheels to check the clearances.

BL will get a few goodies, longer term the BK might become an engineering project - AWD and moah powah
    Last edited by Nexus; 18-06-2016 at 01:38 AM.

10. Default

I found a cool little trick for the BL if your interested. If you take it to mazda they can make the car auto lock so as soon as the key is out of the car and out of range from the doors and boot it will lock automatically.

So if you walk away and forget to lock it, it will lock automatically

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMPS View Post
    I found a cool little trick for the BL if your interested. If you take it to mazda they can make the car auto lock so as soon as the key is out of the car and out of range from the doors and boot it will lock automatically.

Thanks for the tip, I just had mine serviced at Mazda a week ago so wish I'd read that sooner, might try and remember for the next service as that could be handy. I always walk away forgetting if I've pushed the button then have to pull the key out and hit lock only to confirm that it was locked all along.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMPS View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Crustyman View Post
    Thanks for the tip, I just had mine serviced at Mazda a week ago so wish I'd read that sooner, might try and remember for the next service as that could be handy. I always walk away forgetting if I've pushed the button then have to pull the key out and hit lock only to confirm that it was locked all along.
    I am definitely going to do this. I've found it too easy to walk away and not be sure it's locked. I presume it beeps and wails and carries on a bit if you leave and it can't lock - because door open of whatever?