User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Series 1 MPS3 Down Pipe and Mid Pipe Recommendation

Default Series 1 MPS3 Down Pipe and Mid Pipe Recommendation

Well I have recently removed the Baffled muffler from my MPS3 and had it replaced with a straight pipe, the different note from the exhaust is a real nice feature from doing this mod but also the slightly quicker turbo spool is bloody awesome and unexpected!

This had me pondering if my next modification (power wise) should be a new DP and perhaps replace the mid pipe???

I'd like to get an idea as to what others are running on their cars, mine is thus far "stock" for the exception of a modified air box and the muffler delete.

I should also mention that I have a DP and Mid pipe combination in mind, but not sure if this will throw a CEL.

The Dp is UltimateRacing Catted (Metal core) with o2 sensor bungs.
    Ultimate-Racing.com

And UltimateRacing Catless Test Pipe
    Ultimate-Racing.com

i have read on many US forums that the Gen 2 guys love their products and swear by the craftsmanship and quality of the Down Pipes. Has anyone had any experience with Ultimate Racing or purchased their products????

Any information on the above will be greatly appreciated

Alex
    Do Not Fear Torque Steer...

ZOOM F*cking ZOOM Biatch!!

Hey Alex, i think you probably know but i got 2XS race pipe, and no cell since the 2nd cat isn't monitored i'm thinking doing the straight through pipe your talking about too .

Gotta be careful thou cause the Top half of dump is 3" and so its the race pipe but you'll have to get an adapter to make it fit onto the 2.5" system.

But im thinking along the same lines as you for a new top half of dump, but ill probably be in contact with 2XS for that i think he told me approximately same price as ultimate racing... dont forget you have to add installation onto the cost :S.
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

Installation is no problem for me, I'm more than able to carry out most installs my self so yeh

Yes I think I read somewhere that the second Catalyst does not throw a CEL but the location of the #2 o2 sensor might.

The only other option would be a COBB DP since that replaces both catalysts and its one single pipe from turbo to the factory CBE flange.

Though the UR pricing makes their DP really appealing.

Dont bother with the race pipe. If dump is withing budget go that for sure.
    Either go with the 2XS item or Best Mufflers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Dont bother with the race pipe. If dump is withing budget go that for sure.
    Either go with the 2XS item or Best Mufflers.
    No race pipe you think???

I was thinking on getting it because that would mean one less catalyst and just run the one on the DP, less restriction is what I was thinking by doing this.

Might have to PM Troy with regards to pricing so I can compare with other options.

with regards to UR I would have to either get the DP shipped from the US or go through their Aus dealer in WA.

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

Some more info I found on the UR stuff
    Review of the UR catted Downpipe and Resonated Testpipe on my 2008 MS3 - Mazdaspeed Forums

Ultimate racing test pipe and down pipe install w pics - Mazdaspeed Forums

Gen 2 setup.
    Ultimate Racing Exhaust
    Last edited by Malicioso; 21-02-2011 at 12:52 PM.

Most full DP's only come with 1 cat at the bottom of it anyway and being a Full DP it replaces from Turbo to where the race pipe would finish. If your thinking of doing them and the same time i would recommend Troy's DP but if you like me and only had the options of doing 1/2 now and possibly 1/2 later the Race pipe is a good choice, the only disadvantage in this is that im not sure if 2XS top half of the DP is 3" and obviously the race pipe is 2.5", comparing to a full 3" DP would flow better.

How do you find the engine mount alex?
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

Bakis: Yes I see what you mean, though what I like about the UR setup is that the mid pipe can be replaced at any time to make any sort of combination since the DP and Mid Pipe are separate, would come in real handy if running a cat less mid pipe and require to change it to a catted one or a resonated one.

Also the pipes look close to factory since the configuration is the same, and yes doing the DP first then the Mid if needed afterwards is yet another advantage from a cost point of view.

The mount is bloody great! I'm yet to give it some to see if it has gotten rid of the wheel hop, but the car feels very much more tied together and the vibes are fairly bearable, I've owned cars in the part that vibrated much more than this!

All the restriction is in the first cat. Further back the better, Alex
    Lose the first, keep the second cat

or you could go catless :P

or you could check the FS section and pick up a CP-E Down pipe which does both down and mid pipe (also part is in Melbourne) just for another option

3" MAZDA 3 MPS TURBO BOLT-ON PERFORMANCE EXHAUST SYSTEMS FULL SYSTEM

Im running one of these systems, or you can also opt for just the DP:

3" MAZDA 3 MPS TURBO TWIN DUMP PIPES
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

Gen 1 can run catless (with an O2 sensor trick)

Gen 2 can't. To get a Gen 2 to run a DP, I've noticed you require atleast a 200 cell cat. The 2nd O2 sensor must be behind atleast one of the cats.

Bellmouth Vs Twin DP

Bellmouth is a single opening.
    Twin DP - is what it suggests, a twin outlet.

Advantages (what I've noticed from my own DP fabrication experience)

Bellmouth - Cheaper and easier to make
    Twin DP - Brings boost on quicker (than bellmouth), holds boost longer.

Disadvantages

Bellmouth - Doesn't create boost as soon, usually still makes the same PEAK power.
    Twin DP - If made incorrectly, can cause boost issues (due to wastegate pipes being too small etc)

A twin DP acts like an external wastegate setup. It splits the exhuast gas, turbo outlet and wastegate outlet to reduce turbulence immediately after the turbo (It does make a difference)

You can make anything you want to work. I can make a twin DP to suit the std catted section (2nd cat) or I can make a full replacement DP which replaces both cats.

REMEMBER
    Keep everything flowing smoothly.
    Increasing sizes as soon as possible, doesn't always make power.
    Bigger isn't always better.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Quote Originally Posted by Grajy View Post
    All the restriction is in the first cat. Further back the better, Alex
    Lose the first, keep the second cat
    Still tho doesn't the ECU meter the first cat and not the second one??? Wouldn't the ECU go a bit out of wack???

I guess I could always go for the catless DP and get the catted mid pipe, and anyways the catless DP is cheaper that's the awesome thing about their products, you can make any combination you want.

Krnage: atm that is a bit out of my budget and ordering just the UR DP (if I go catless) would hopefully turn out to be cheaper, I could always order the DP and run it with the catted OEM pipe and replace it later or even leave it as it is.

Bakis: Nah bro that's just plain silly

Btw thanks for the help, you guys are kick ass!

---------- Post added at 08:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    Gen 1 can run catless (with an O2 sensor trick)

Gen 2 can't. To get a Gen 2 to run a DP, I've noticed you require atleast a 200 cell cat. The 2nd O2 sensor must be behind atleast one of the cats.

Bellmouth Vs Twin DP

Bellmouth is a single opening.
    Twin DP - is what it suggests, a twin outlet.

Advantages (what I've noticed from my own DP fabrication experience)

Bellmouth - Cheaper and easier to make
    Twin DP - Brings boost on quicker (than bellmouth), holds boost longer.

Disadvantages

Bellmouth - Doesn't create boost as soon, usually still makes the same PEAK power.
    Twin DP - If made incorrectly, can cause boost issues (due to wastegate pipes being too small etc)

A twin DP acts like an external wastegate setup. It splits the exhuast gas, turbo outlet and wastegate outlet to reduce turbulence immediately after the turbo (It does make a difference)

You can make anything you want to work. I can make a twin DP to suit the std catted section (2nd cat) or I can make a full replacement DP which replaces both cats.

REMEMBER
    Keep everything flowing smoothly.
    Increasing sizes as soon as possible, doesn't always make power.
    Bigger isn't always better.
    Thanks for the info Troy, I swear you're like the Gen 1 Guru on here.

So seems like I can run a catless dp and retain the bottom one...

Now that I have a better idea of what I need, I guess it now comes down to cost and what gains I'm truly after, since I'm still saving up for a tune and some other go fast bits.

Sent an email through to UR with regards to shipping cost and also recommendations, outlining the fact that Aus law states that I need to run a catalyst, meaning I wish to at least run one cat either on the DP or Mid Pipe.

I also read somewhere else that it would be a good idea to do the cam driven fuel pump modification when adding flow mods i.e. intake, dp, exhaust, fmic... anyone know if it's really necessary???

I do plan on adding a TIP, SRI and FMIC by the end of the yr and have HPF tune it all.

Any info would be totally great!

Fuel pump is good for 300Kw @ wheels (100% duty cycle) You won't need it.

I never did.

Cheers!

As far as the law goes you need to keep the exhaust with the same amount of cats/mufflers as it came with from factory... This makes DP illegal since there only 1 cat and not 2, this doesn't seem to phase anyone anyway but i went to a place locally and asked on thoughts of a exhaust and they we wont touch it if your thinking of removing cats or deleting mufflers...

Which is why I use Troy's products & HP-F lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    As far as the law goes you need to keep the exhaust with the same amount of cats/mufflers as it came with from factory... This makes DP illegal since there only 1 cat and not 2, this doesn't seem to phase anyone anyway but i went to a place locally and asked on thoughts of a exhaust and they we wont touch it if your thinking of removing cats or deleting mufflers...

Which is why I use Troy's products & HP-F lol.
    So did you get the muffler taken out???

Malicioso: im just running a CS downpipe and OEM mid pipe and all is ok.
    at some stage ill get mid pipe changed but its doing fine for now

is the CS DP catless???

I just spoke to UR and they recommended going with a catted DP and eliminate the second one, they say the first one is the more important one and is measured by the ECU, going for a metal core catalyst will flow just as good as a catless dp.

Pricing for shipping also sounded real good and they have them on the shelf...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast