User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boost and ECU update

Default Boost and ECU update - need dashhawk

hey guys

last service i got done they said they done a ECU update (2008 mps3 gen 1)

It seems i have lost a bit of boost and its agressivemenss

I know 1st n 2nd are limited, but it seems in third i can only pull about 11psi then 4th it winds out to 14.5 ish

sometimes in 4th it wont go over 11 - 12 either depending on rpm and load

is this normal?
    Last edited by buzurk; 16-02-2011 at 11:04 AM.

There is a suspicion that the Mazda update is more of a detune. Not sure on the reasons behind this or if it is even true but other folks have experienced this too so you're not alone. It could be stress on the stock rear engine mount? Instead of a re-call or simply replacing the mount they might reduce the amount of torque and stress on the mount?

Your solution is probably one of these...HYPERTECH | Max Energy Sport Tune - Get rid of the boost restriction

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

When was the ECU last updated prior to this problem? There was talk a while ago about an update reducing peoples boost.

Sucks how they can just turn down your boost / power. Not sure how its legal.

yeah there is definetly a loss in the GO feeling, im gonna call mazda today and see if they can wind it back

Quote Originally Posted by buzurk View Post
    yeah there is definetly a loss in the GO feeling, im gonna call mazda today and see if they can wind it back
    That wont happen. Its been tried before.
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Yeah mate that's exactly what they've done. Welcome to the club of very very pissed off people

If you want it "fixed" call Jim at Tunehouse and and tell him you want some ecutek goodness Will only set you back a coulpe of grand....

So there is nothing that can be done about this ???

Im seriously pissed off hey i lashed out and bought the car purely because of how it went, now i hate it

Hypertech is probably the cheapest fix option. You should tell them "I bought an 3MPS and you've made in into a SP23"
    The Hypertech would make a big difference even if you still had the old Mazda flash cause the 3 is limited in the lower gears 'as standard'
    Last edited by rogwick; 15-02-2011 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    Hypertech is probably the cheapest fix option. You should tell them "I bought an 3MPS and you've made in into a SP23"
    The Hypertech would make a big difference even if you still had the old Mazda flash cause the 3 is limited in the lower gears 'as standard'
    pretty much right Rog. But the limiting isnt the problem, it came with that from factory and as far as I can tell that hasnt much changed. Its pulling 4 pound (or in some cases (mine) more like 5 or 6!) of boost from 3rd gear thats a real pain, even 4th still has less than 3rd used to!

The only other work around I've heard of is a guy who tried to buy a new computer without going through a mazda dealer... I dont remember if that worked out or not.

Pulling 5-6 pound from 3rd gear...huh?

SO ANGRY - Mazda wont do shit about it, car will be going up for sale i think this is a joke

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    Pulling 5-6 pound from 3rd gear...huh?
    PSI... Boost whatever you want to call it.

Blog Entries

SO ANGRY - Mazda wont do shit about it, car will be going up for sale i think this is a joke
    dude, even with the OEM tune you should be seeing peaks of 12 in 3rd, 14-15 in 4/5/6
    if 5 is the best it produces, there's an issue to check out that isn't the tune at all.
    Yes, there's been tunes that buyers haven't been happy with, that's a long time ago now, I've seen and had re-flashes that increased responsiveness, I'd be surprised if 5-6 psi is a new standard for 3rd gear...

A good service agent then a hypertech to get more than you had before, and you're sorted. You might have a boost leak, I don't know but the number you've quoted is abnormal with known OEM tunes...
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

I see the following

1st = 10psi
    2nd = 10psi
    3rd = 10 - 12psi
    4th = 12 - 13 psi Sometimes a tad more dependant on load
    5th = 16 psi
    6th 16 psi

You should be getting minimum 10-12psi in any gear because even if the boost control solenoid is fully closed the waste gate needs at least 10psi to open up. unless its shutting the throttle body.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaredycrow View Post
    PSI... Boost whatever you want to call it.
    I see much higher than 5-6psi in 3rd gear. I'm something around 14psi in third

M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Just just to confirm, IF i buy a hypertech sport, it will not only give me back what i had, but then some aswell??

In other words, i want what i had atleast and then some more, not buy a tune that will just get me to where i was before the stupid update

This might help you understand the workings of the unit

Just to ask (I'm sure you mentioned it) what mods if any do you have? The hypertech should make a big difference provided you don't have a fault (boost leak, turbo problem) or any other typical problems. Also check out the thread Hypertech and see what other folks have thought. Perhaps fire a few questions in there or perhaps you can find some answers

M P S

I have a CP-e CAI (The one that feeds into the front bar) and a Turbosmart dual port bov at 50/50

I have a CP-e CAI (The one that feeds into the front bar) and a Turbosmart dual port bov at 50/50
    Similar to me, minus the exhaust and tip. Hey Toddy, need to see if we can upload some DH data before and after tune? What you reckon?

M P S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast