User Tag List

Thread: So i broke the O-Ring

Default So i broke the O-Ring

hey guys, on my way home i got a CEL today

So i popped bonnet to take battery off and though id check out my isntall of the 2XS SRI, and i had a new POD to fit too!

I took the AFM out to clean the SRI etc and fit the pod, upon refitting i put vaso on the o-ring, eased it in and still managed to snap it

Does anyone know the diameter and size of it? can one just be had from repco or something, or mazda spare parts possibly??

Probably just get it from Mazda mate.

At least that way you are sure its the right fit.

I think Rogwick snapped his and just wrapped some thread tape around it to make a good seal and stuck it back in. seemed to work fine. however i'd imagine you could just get one from your local auto shop, they probably come in a pack with many different sizes.

Mazda sell them, cost about $14. My local dealer initially thought they werent available seperately, and that the whole MAF housing had to be purchased. I remembered seeing mention on the forum by one of the West Aussie mob (sorry, name escapes me now) that the individual part WAS available.

As a stopgap I bought a pack of 4 o-rings from Bunnings for $2.60. The pack had 2 rings that were too small, and 2 rings that were ALMOST the correct size; oversize by about half a mm in diameter. I wasnt convinced they would seal properly so also bought the Mazda OE part. Just amazing tho that Mazda charges $14 for ONE.... Bunnings charge $2.60 for FOUR. C'est la vie.

Leon
    Started out with nothing Still got most of it left

You can get a glue for rubber for less than $14. I glued mine back together and never had another issue with it.

The o-rings are not easy to find if you want a replacement. I bought one through Mazda and had to wait for it to come from Japan. Cost $15. A whole lot of effort for such a small part.

Every time the engine gets warm and cools down again, the rubber cures a little bit and becomes harder and more brittle. This is why they don't last for ever and why you need to treat them gently.

Here's a tip: If you take it out to clean the MAF sensor etc, lube the rubber o-ring with a bit of spit and gently rotate back and forth to ease it back in. The spit will dry out and leave no chemical reside that might play havoc with the sensor.

Gone to Volvo

Mate, Macgyver it, as Toddy mentioned I haven't had a problem since...thread tape or plumbers tape works a treat.

Reference: modifying-your-cold-air-intake-servicing-filter-maf-sensor

Im here all week thankyou...
    Last edited by rogwick; 19-11-2010 at 10:39 PM.

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Pmsl!!!