User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DP installation time cost

Default DP installation time cost

Ok I have, gotten what I thought a good company to install my new DP, and just recieved a call saying that they have now worked on it for 5 hours, and they have also just stripped an O2 sensor. With more work to go the cost of this sounds like its going to run into $1200's +.

I am aware that allot of the MPs guys are saying 02 sensors being stripped is a problem. so probably cant blame these guys.

However 5 hours?? and the DP isnt even on the car?? is that reasonable??

Thats a bit lengthy if you say they are a good company, so technically should know what they are doing. However 5 hours for mine in total. They damage the O2 sensor thats their fault and should replace it, not yours.
    Last edited by KFuNk; 23-08-2010 at 05:09 PM.

i thought that best mufflers (in syd) would do a DP install on a gen 2 for ~$1500 inc parts and labour...
    dont quote me on that tho i remember cton saying something along those lines... but my memory is crap at best of times!

Can't say how long mine took as my mechanic ran into other problems (welding machine blew up!) But got quoted $350 for the install of the DP and with around 25,000kms on it my mechanic mentioned my bolts and everything came out with ease. Not hassles, issues or stripping. I know the DP is not easy to install but my car ended up being there just short of a week. Then again I did have a Full exhaust designed and fabricated and also had to wait for the mufflers to arrive (came late) as well as the welding machine blowing up. So I was unlucky in that respect.

Should they not replace the O2 sensor unless it was stated before that you would have to replace in such an event that it breaks? Do they have instructions to follow? I read somewhere ages ago, might have been Doug that posted that the O2 sensor comes out with time and care, using a lubricant and easy pressure it should get out in one piece ok (in theory) I would imaging it would be easy to strip though, how many kms have you done?

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Thanks guys will try to argue time costs.. as well as O2 sensor cost and who is to pay....
    I have done 90,000km so.... will see what happens... Grrr these guys charge at a steep rate >.<

Hi, i done mine myself not 1 stripped nut etc. 5 hrs hmm.. mine took me about 12-13hr but i changed turbo, intake pipe and cai install. i got a tip to spray all nuts bolts with wd40 and it worked nothing stripped!!

Quote Originally Posted by luke 3mps View Post
    I got a tip to spray all nuts bolts with wd40 and it worked nothing stripped!!
    You would think this is one of the first things these guys would have done! 90,000kms the bolts may have seized due to the heat on the exhaust, thus making them difficult to undo. Still, it wasn't broken when you took your car in...They should have given a quote with a * saying the O2 sensor subject to charge upon breakage or something like that

M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Its a prick of job to get the stock one off. I think 5 hrs is probably pretty fair from what ive been told if they havent done one before.
    And yeah, gotta go real easy on the sensors. slowly working them in and out.

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    You would think this is one of the first things these guys would have done! 90,000kms the bolts may have seized due to the heat on the exhaust, thus making them difficult to undo. Still, it wasn't broken when you took your car in...They should have given a quote with a * saying the O2 sensor subject to charge upon breakage or something like that
    My car was 90,000km to, just FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by KFuNk View Post
    My car was 90,000km to, just FYI.
    Fair enough! My mate took his car in to the the DP installed. He's about 20-30,000kms more than mine and the mechanic said he had a hard time compared to mine. Generally the more kms the harder the bolts to come out due to the heat and wear and tear, especially concerning the exhaust. Not always the case though. It does depend on driving conditions and also everyday conditions that would contribute to a seized bolt in two vehicles with the same kms.

M P S

Well I wont name company names... But at this point rather disapointed... obviously the time frame they have had the car... its is now staying over night, and I am going to have to rent a car. At that it has been me chasing them and requesting if the car is ready or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Cton View Post
    Its a prick of job to get the stock one off. I think 5 hrs is probably pretty fair from what ive been told if they havent done one before.
    And yeah, gotta go real easy on the sensors. slowly working them in and out.

Agreed. i spray wd40 and slowly worked it back and forwards till i got it out. cuz as i was undoing the sensor it didnt feel good the whole way could tell it would break easy
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Furion, Chris from Best Mufflers installed a DP on my 6MPS. He originally quoted me $1150 for the DP plus $600 to remove old and instal the new. He eventually charged me $1800 all up. (There was an additional amount for some other work he did for me so I didnt argue about the extra $50 cos I knew he was gunna get me coming or going as I didnt have a FIRM price for the other work.)

Chris DID say that if my O2 sensor didnt come out easily and had to be replaced then I would be up for an additional $600. He told me this was a REAL possibility. I was lucky, Chris managed to save and reuse my original O2 sensor. Maybe the shop doing yours hasnt sufficient experience to know that the O2 sensor can be fritzed upon removal. If so, I am sure they will advise in future that the customer is up for the cost if it doesnt survive being removed. Chris did also say that the 6MPS DP is a MUCH more labour intensive and time consuming job than when the same thing is done to a 3MPS. My car had about 75K on it when the job was done.

I am extremely happy with the additional performance that the Best Mufflers DP gives now that the car can breathe more freely. Impressed with Chris too... such a nice man, he even let me do some of the work.... (didnt you Chris? ... if you are reading this ... ).

Regards,

Leon
    Last edited by Velocity Red; 23-08-2010 at 07:21 PM.
    Started out with nothing Still got most of it left

ahhh... does Furion have a 6MPS?
    Yeah Chris said they are a real pain in the ass!

When I got mine done I had two fused bolts and it still only took 3 1/2 hours, only charged a nice even $300.

Good luck, not sounding promising !

The first one I did was on mine. It had 25,000kms and took me 8hrs total to remove and refit. I can usually do it in around 2-3hrs now. The heatsheilds are a pain in the ar..

The o2 sensors sometimes have issues. I've only ever had 1 seize and strip threads, sorry Penguin.

It took me a day, plus prep beforehand. I wrote plenty on it before so won't repeat here. Search my threads. But I figure 5 hrs for a shop would be reasonable if they ran into problems. It's be easy to stuff up a cat thread, strip a stud or just not be able to figure out how to tweeze the cat heat shields from around the cat itself. Some mechanics aren't too bright. I soaked my cat sensors and turbo flange studs for a day beforehand. Putting the car into a shop will mean they won't have the patience for that. Getting the stock one out is a bitch. I've talked to plenty of exhaust shops in Perth who've grizzled about losing money on the job after quoting too low. DIY is best if you have the time and tools. I wouldn't pay ~$2000 for someone to do it, on top of the kit price. I also took out all the cat leads which takes an hour to get at and rehang after the job is done.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Thanks for the input guys, just trying to gauge what is or isnt realistic, before I go and have an arguement..... This particular work shop is suposed to be quite good, and there hourly rate is not cheap $120 an hour.... so at this point worse case they may charge 8 hours plus 02 Sensor. The majority of there cars are all Japanese, and I expected that they would have vast experience with turbo cars from japan. guess I figured wrong.. at this time I just want my car back with DP installed.... sick of driving the Getz hire car....

For the record I do have a 3 mps, and it is a Best mufflers DP. Chris there has been great and spent time explaining things to me. he did mention that his first time on the 3 mps was 5 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Furion View Post
    For the record I do have a 3 mps, and it is a Best mufflers DP. Chris there has been great and spent time explaining things to me. he did mention that his first time on the 3 mps was 5 hours.
    Thats not what he told me, he told me it was way more than that......just kidding, I believe he had a few issues with a few seized bolts on mine as well (or as Chris put it !@#$#@ rattle gun !@$% bolts @#$%^#$% ceased), seems the Mazda guys neglected to use the stick of anti seize I supplied them when they replaced the turbo a few months prior, they even pushed the end of the stick onto a thread to make it look like it had been used , although the o2 sensor came out without issue.
    I would argue with the workshop in question that the job should take between 4-6 hours and that's all your willing to pay for, I would also argue the o2 sensor issue, to my knowledge neither Best Mufflers, or CES have stripped a sensor thread yet.
    It is worth noting that you are perfectly within your rights to question an invoice and you have the option as a consumer to seek independent mediation over the amount if they refuse to negotiate with you, it is also very illegal for them to threaten to withhold your car pending payment, not saying this will happen, though it isn't an uncommon occurrence.

Hope it all works out for the best.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

I worked for CES when I stripped Penguins O2 sensor thread. It was just one of them things, or, I pesonally thought it had been out once before because I found some loose hose clamps too.

Where I work now, we have a rule: (generally for wheelnuts etc)

If it strips/breaks coming out, the owner pays,
    If it strips/breaks going back in, we pay.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast