User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: noob exhaust upgrade question...

Default noob exhaust upgrade question...

so im planning on upgrading stock MPS6. im happy with the performance of the car (for now) but im not happy with the exhaust sound and the faux oval rings with the pea shooters.

so i want to upgrade the exhaust...either all in one go or bit at a time.

just looking at mpsgarage...am i correct to assume that in order to do a full/complete exhaust upgrade with aftermarket replacement parts...i will need to budget for all this crap

So from engine this manifold replacement

http://www.mpsgarage.com.au/shop/product/919/mazda-6-mps-exhaust--dnp-stainless-steel-mps-turbo-manifold.html

connected to replacement downpipe

http://www.mpsgarage.com.au/shop/product/363/mazda-6-mps-exhaust--corksport-mps-6--power-series-downpipe.html

connected to replacement cat convertor

http://www.mpsgarage.com.au/shop/product/1248/mazda-6-mps-exhaust--mazda-6-mps-hi-flow-catalytic-converter.html

connected to replacement cat back exhaust

http://www.mpsgarage.com.au/shop/product/362/mazda-6-mps-exhaust--corksport-mps-6-power-series-80mm-cat-back-exhaust-system.html

have i got that right or severely failed?

any help/tips or experience/explanations with any of the parts would be muchly appreciated.

---------- Post added at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

and also...jesus! the $$$ adds up quick doesnt it.

Pretty much - these are all the parts you need, but whilst you've got everything out, you may as well upgrade the turbo as well (BNR stage 1 unit).

I'm not to ofay with the manifold replacements, however dump pipe back seem to get the best results for these cars.

There are alternatives to the parts you have listed:

Downpipe/Dump pipe - there are CP-E units are well which are supposidely better than the corksport one. There is also a Australian business making dump pipes - check out the thread "Best Mufflers".
    Cat back exhaust - these can be split into two sections - the pipe and the mufflers. Some people have gone a custom 3" Cat back pipe with tee peice to the stock mufflers. Others have bought what you have linked to. I have a CP-e unit on order (Cat Back with muffler replacements. There is also Magnaflow and Remus (which do Cat backs).

what about just replacing the mufflers?
    with the aim of just improving hte sound and cosmetic looks?

any brands/manufactures/websites for just replacement mufflers?

magnaflow make a sweet sounding setup for the MPS 6..

a Downpipe will make it sound nice and deep too

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

dont worry about the exhaust manifold..

Johnny, were about's are you? I forget now? Not in W.A? I've got a decent zorst on my 6 mate.

I think what you're looking at can be fairly expensive. But ultimately the choice and option is up to you. Let me voice my opinion, always good to have some various feedback.

The way I see it, not much point upgrading the manifold if you don't intend upgrading the turbo, and then you're going to want to upgrade the IC, and then you're going to want a tune...see where I'm going...? You can always come back to the manifold if you wish to pursue it at some stage, and also for that price, if I were you, I would wait and see how the exhaust turns out. You may be happy with just the exhaust itself and leaving the manifold stock.

Yes, I would definately look into a DP of sorts. Personally, I'm not familiar with the Cork, rather I have the CP-E, which btw has a cat in it already. Naturally I would advise you to do the same as it seemed to work out nice for me. The cork is cheaper but then you need to worry about a cat and getting two things fitted, rather than just the single catted CP-E unit.

I guess the price on the catback is not too bad, I didn't see the need to get a stainless exhaust that would outlast the car, but I must admit it does look better. Instead on mine I have; flanged to the DP, a 3" mandrel bend, coated mild steel exhaust. I have two resonators on mine so almost no drone at all (except for cold start, its a beast) Awesome sound and holding the same note into high RPM. Towards the rear, the pipework splits into a high-flowing "y" piece and into two stainless steel super-cat mufflers. The end result is pretty good, quiet, yet loud at the same time if you know what I mean. No where near skyrine cannon loud but, loud enough to hear it. With a pod-like intake and silicone TIP it works really well.

The exhaust was a custom job. At least I know it was designed, fabricated and fitted to "my" car and also I discussed hitting objects and how much I wanted the pipe to stick out the rear MPS silver tips. I've got loads of clearance, great finish, great note, good price.

Basically a revised quote from my comments above puts you at
    1 x CP-E catted DP -$999
    1 x Installation of the DP ~$350
    1 x Custom Cat back -$1000-1250 (supply and install, not stainless)

Call it $2,500.00 total, ball park figure

By my estimates, you would be looking at easy $3,500.00 or more, once installed, by your list

How does that sound financially? Obviously, you can get better finish with different materials, you can get the manifold etc etc, but as far as value goes, I would recommend the above

Anyway mate, that's my input hope it helps in anyway

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Hey Rodwick. Even I found it helpful and I drive a GENII.

Any photos of the exhaust outlets on your rear bumper?

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    Hey Rodwick. Even I found it helpful and I drive a GENII.

Any photos of the exhaust outlets on your rear bumper?
    Haha, good to hear, pretty much an opinionated response, but as I said some varied opinion makes for better research, so thought I'd drop my 2c worth, glad you found the info useful. Do not have any pictures of the rear tips as yet, but I can certainly get some if you like. If you're prepared to wait for the weekend I can have a clean car and hopefully figure out my new camera, if not just a quick snap with the old sony mobile

M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

It's good you take the time for us new members. As for the photo, I'll wait for your new camera. I like detail.

With the amount of money you're looking to spend I'd go local and get a custom setup rather than a bunch of off the shelf stuff from the states. Where are you located?

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    It's good you take the time for us new members. As for the photo, I'll wait for your new camera. I like detail.
    That would imply I'm experienced!? lol Nah no troubles at all, just have to remember to do it now! I've, been there, done that, with certain mods, only fair to share. Check out the "RR" link on my signature if there's any more info that I've mentioned in there that might help you with mods or customising a few things.

I still have to figure out how to use the DSLR camera so I'll try and get some nice detail and load it on the PC. If not my mobile does take pretty decent images, either way I'll get back to ya. I need to get more images of the exhaust run too, showing the two resonators and maybe the mufflers too

M P S

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    That would imply I'm experienced!? lol Nah no troubles at all, just have to remember to do it now! I've, been there, done that, with certain mods, only fair to share. Check out the "RR" link on my signature if there's any more info that I've mentioned in there that might help you with mods or customising a few things.

I still have to figure out how to use the DSLR camera so I'll try and get some nice detail and load it on the PC. If not my mobile does take pretty decent images, either way I'll get back to ya. I need to get more images of the exhaust run too, showing the two resonators and maybe the mufflers too
    Sweet, sounds good.

...and JohnyC, good luck on the mods. And remember to take some pics.
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

JOHNNYC, Hi. Have a look at my setup. Don't worry about replacing the manifold. Big headache. Run a CP_e down-pipe which includes the cat and plug-in ports for the O2 sensors (see MPS garage site for price and ROGWICK above for photo) good and purposeful but not intrusive or droning. The DP alone gives a significant power & efficiency boost.

Then in your own time you can change the rest of the pipe if you wish, &/or improve the Y junction and change the mufflers and tips when you're ready. I tried (and then removed) the CP_e SS Mufflers and 3" tips and they fit fine inside the oval trims with the possibility of a little sheet metal work with a pair of pliers inside the housings to stop them from hitting if you don't get the muffler mounts exactly right, but IMHO a good custom shop can do that here with SS mufflers that will be efficient but quieter than the CP_e ones.

I haven't bothered with the latter yet as it all sounds good now and works just fine, and I don't want any more noise, and if and when they wear out I'll get a custom shop to make up new SS mufflers with larger tips, say 2.75" dia. for better metal clearance, and a smoother Y all at the same time. The main cat back pipe is a fairly decent diameter anyway (I forget the dia. exactly) and hardly needs to be bigger, but you can go to 3" if you wish. It can drone a bit, however, if you don't get the resonator right.
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 29-06-2010 at 08:34 PM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

13. Default

From what you said...

You are happy with performance but not the noise.

Take it to any good exhaust place and get them to change out the mufflers for you. Cheaper than buying a system and will get the result you want. Just be sure to tell them exactly what you want and write it down too. I doubt you want a POS Sylvia sounding note, so make sure they give you the right muffler for your application and needs.

Get a straight through magnaflow muffler fitted instead of the baffled center.. you will smile.. and its not much louder.. just sounds much better

thanks for all the replies. and yup im located in Perth WA.

Rodwick, thansk for you input...i would love to be have a setup like yours, but im not into spending big $$$ (at this stage...have other priorities in life)on modifying the mps6 as its just a car to me that will deppreciate in value.

that said, i still want to enjoy the car and this minor detail (sound and look) is slightly bothering me.

ill have to do some more research on just replacing the mufflers and/or dump pipes/cat backs.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
    thanks for all the replies. and yup im located in Perth WA.

Rodwick, thansk for you input...i would love to be have a setup like yours, but im not into spending big $$$ (at this stage...have other priorities in life)on modifying the mps6 as its just a car to me that will deppreciate in value.

that said, i still want to enjoy the car and this minor detail (sound and look) is slightly bothering me.

ill have to do some more research on just replacing the mufflers and/or dump pipes/cat backs.
    Yeah, understandable, like Crusher_13 mentioned it may be an option to just get new mufflers, I guess the best bet would be to make your mind up of what you want, be that mufflers alone or full system and get it installed at the same time to save money on installation. The CP-E DP is on sale at the moment so I would advise making a decision on that before the "special" is over if you are keen on it. The only real reason to get the catback is to increase pipe size and modify that T piece.

If you're in Perth where about's? PM if you wish and maybe we can catch-up and you can have a look and hear in person. I can also suggest a place for installation if you wish (see my sig) Fire them an email and maybe a few suggestions may present itself to you?

M P S

Ditto for me too if you want a look and listen. Chs

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    Ditto for me too if you want a look and listen. Chs
    Haha I just emailed Toddy and he's keen too if he's free, so there you go Johnny, take your pic from the selection, could meet together on a weekend if that suits or individually, whatever really.
    Just let me and/or Doug know if you're keen and I'll try drag out Toddy in his 6 too. I reckon Toddy would wanna have a chat with you Doug anyway about the standback...

M P S

19. Default

Im in Perth too and have Dougs CP-e catback system now fitted on my wifes 6, its very well made, easy to fit and with only a minor fitment issue which was outlined above.
    It's to loud for me but my wife loves it.

Maybe we need a Perth cruise so we can all check out all the different options available

Nice to see all the 6's come out to play!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast