User Tag List

Thread: Stock airbox restrictions - where are they, how to overcome them. Great Article!

Default Stock airbox restrictions - where are they, how to overcome them. Great Article!

I thought i would post up a great article i read some time ago but have since re read it and got more from it.

Its talking about using the stock airbox and either adding a bigger bore inlet pipe or dual pipes to reduce the restriction.

Another worthy note within the article is its factual measurements when it comes to comparing the stock and modded airbox for actual restriction and where that restriction is!

Part 1- Pre install results and setup
    Browser Warning

Part 2- Install and Results
    Browser Warning

Happy Reading

---------- Post added at 12:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 PM ----------

EDIT: I just seen it says 'BROWSER WARNING' for the links, be advised.. The articles are from the reputable Browser Warning website

Current: 2002 Nissan S15 200SX SPEC R
    Previously: 2006 Mazda 6 MPS ,MY00 WRX CLUB SPEC EVO IV Hatch ,97' Nissan S14A 200sx, Nissan R34 GT-T, Nissan S12 Silvia

Blog Entries

Good articles, I have seen this done on Commodores and they seem to work very well, would be a good mod for someone who doesnt want to change the stock setup.

Just got 20kwatw from putting a hole on the side of the std box and re position the tube on the side of the box to the front rather than face the motor. No parts just labour and dyno'd before and after.... True figures....
    Last edited by 240MPS; 25-02-2010 at 12:55 PM.

Just got me thinking about the Std MPS6 airbox which has a second intake under the bonnet. Possibility of adding a tube to pick up cold air into that intake - thanks for the post

The airbox IS the restriction! Get rid of it, and the resonator, and put on an SRI at least. You'll see a bit more under the bonnet then too, instead of half a cubic foot of plastic box.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    The airbox IS the restriction! Get rid of it, and the resonator, and put on an SRI at least. You'll see a bit more under the bonnet then too, instead of half a cubic foot of plastic box.
    Why would you go to that expense... I got 20kwatw with the std box modified, same power Postmandan got with the ces set up.....
    Like sand in the hour glass are the days of my life.

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same.
    You will be in our prays
    Leelu.

Quote Originally Posted by 240MPS View Post
    Why would you go to that expense... I got 20kwatw with the std box modified, same power Postmandan got with the ces set up.....

More info on this modification???

I do agree. But this is just another option...

And to be honest there are alot of cars, like WRX's that benefit more from a mod like this one rather than a cheap $50 pod filter and adapter.

This kind of modded stock airbox work REALLY well on my old MY00 WRX...
    Whereas I had a HKS Pod filter on my S14. Apexi pod on my R34... all worked ok but obviously cost a hell of a lot more than modding the stock airbox.

Current: 2002 Nissan S15 200SX SPEC R
    Previously: 2006 Mazda 6 MPS ,MY00 WRX CLUB SPEC EVO IV Hatch ,97' Nissan S14A 200sx, Nissan R34 GT-T, Nissan S12 Silvia

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    More info on this modification???
    Only took this photo the other day for LittleRedMps, you will see the hole on the side and to the left of the photo there is a tube that comes out which faces towards the motor, for reason I don't know why where all the heat is coming from,so we spun the tube to face towards the front of the car to collect the air coming through..... We dyno'd the car before the mod and Dyno'd after the mod and the SURPRISE on the face of the boys with the remark of wish we could do this to the Grand Prix race car..... Give it a shot it doesn't cost you anything and I can't here it been any noiser......... That simple....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1110364.jpg 
Views:	446 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	2397  
    Last edited by 240MPS; 26-02-2010 at 09:05 AM. Reason: changed good do this with could do this :)
    Like sand in the hour glass are the days of my life.

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same.
    You will be in our prays
    Leelu.

If you can get 20Kwatw with modifying a stock air-box, AND while maintaining filtration quality, then I'd hazard that someone at Mazda has taken their eye off the ball. I doubt that very much.

Further I don't consider $200, or often less, a great expense for the option I proposed, noting that I stay well clear of CAI's as I consider they offer a few disdvantages with very few advantages over a good SRI, and either will outdo any air-box mod anytime - yet will still never, ever get you 20Kwatw.

You may indeed be right, but I remain to be convinced.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

It is hard to believe I agree, but his car was dyno'ed before and after this modification..., maybe his tuned haltech interceptor has also something to do with it.

I can't see a 20kw gain, don't care what the dyno says, especially from such a simple change.
    Dispite that, I'm curious.

I've had a look at mine, and the picture. Firstly, do I HAVE to cut the hole in the side?
    Not a fun of cutting things up

secondly, what pipe?
    Only one I see goes straight up, not towards the motor as described

Further I don't consider $200, or often less, a great expense for the option I proposed, noting that I stay well clear of CAI's as I consider they offer a few disdvantages with very few advantages over a good SRI, and either will outdo any air-box mod anytime - yet will still never, ever get you 20Kwatw.

You may indeed be right, but I remain to be convinced.
    I've put the SRI on mine, as I can revert back to the stock airbox if I sell the vehicle.

Food for thought tho: Dyno results on standard vehicle / with CES SRI
    2015 Audi S3 | MTX | Sedan | Sepang Blue | Sunroof | SPP1 | Assistance Package | BW - Week 17 | Delivery June/July '15... Hopefully...

Help support OzMPSClub - Become a VIP Member today! - Click here for more details...