User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corksport Intake

Default Corksport Intake

Has anyone tried out the corksport intake? I've been looking at intakes recently and CAI look a bit fiddly and have problems with water for not a huge gain and cost more so I figured I would look at SRI.

The COBB one looked interested and Ive been reading a bit about it but then I noticed the corksport intake which incorporates both the intake and the turbo inlet into one unit. Anyone here actually had a go with one or heard anything about them?

In hindsight this probably should have gone in the intake section of the forum.... I blame the fact I made this at like 2am in the morning.
    Last edited by Nepharius; 28-10-2009 at 11:37 AM.

Moved to correct section, hopefully get some answers now

I was looking at the corksport too because I like the idea of the cold air box you can get for it. I've seen maybe people say its a great deal but couldn't find anybody running it

4. Default

I have the corksport kit and it works well. I didn't use the AEM dry filter but put on a HKS driflow pod instead.

How do you find the noise?

I've also heard the HKS filters dont filter all that well?

6. Default

The noise is loud. Sucking noises at low rpm to higher pitch turbo scream in upper rev range. On partial throttle lift off, there are slight flutters but not as loud as in a skyline. Otherwise a short sharp whoosh on lift off.

That seems to be the verdict with HKS. But they flow quite well and I just replace it for 25 bucks if it gets dirty. I used a 3A racing pod before and they are supposed to be quite good too. I found with 3A and HKS that the car ran more solid boost. With the AEM or Apexi, the car seemed to run lower boost.
    06 6MPS Radiant Ebony Luxury
    Car sold and dearly missed

how many here have actually changed their turbo inlet pipe?? is it really worth getting it just leave it as stock?

I have changed the inlet pipe.

When you pull the stock inlet pipe off and see how restrictive it is, compared with the silicon tube that is perfectly tapered, you probably will to. I dont have a picture of the stock one handy, but if you find a pic of one, compare it to this;

This and the CP-E CAI threw 15fwkw's on my car. If there was a machine that replicated the forced action that is applied to the CAI whilst travelling with velocity, I am confident that the results would be even better. I guess its whatever floats your boat at the end of the day.

I'm not going to get into a SRI vs CAI discussion, but I would personally choose the CAI every time.

Mark

Kebabylon sp the cobb inlet will mate up stright to the cpe cai????

10. Default

I've got the corksport intake (AEM air filter and SS turbo inlet pipe) on my 3 and i havent had any problems with it (had it on for 3 months) and i love it. the stock turbo inlet pipe is very narrow and its replaced by a monster stainless steel one. power gains are very noticable. its pretty loud under hard acceleration and you can hear the stock BOV better too! Install was fairly straight forward but make sure you have a long extension for ur ratchet as some of the hose clamps can be a bitch to get to otherwise. it took me and my mate 1hr 45min from start to finish. i have a corksport airbox on the way too to enclose the pod filter but at the mo i dont suffer any performance loses from it being exposed in the engine bay but i dont do any prolonged stop start driving so maybe i'd suffer if i did??? i'd recommened it.

11. Default

I have the corksport tip too. Works very well. And yes the stock jobbie is very restrictive.

Quote Originally Posted by STEALTH_MPS View Post
    Kebabylon sp the cobb inlet will mate up stright to the cpe cai????
    Yes, my brother. Bolts directly to it.

---------- Post added at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mpsmike View Post
    I've got the corksport intake (AEM air filter and SS turbo inlet pipe) on my 3 and i havent had any problems with it (had it on for 3 months) and i love it. the stock turbo inlet pipe is very narrow and its replaced by a monster stainless steel one. power gains are very noticable. its pretty loud under hard acceleration and you can hear the stock BOV better too! Install was fairly straight forward but make sure you have a long extension for ur ratchet as some of the hose clamps can be a bitch to get to otherwise. it took me and my mate 1hr 45min from start to finish. i have a corksport airbox on the way too to enclose the pod filter but at the mo i dont suffer any performance loses from it being exposed in the engine bay but i dont do any prolonged stop start driving so maybe i'd suffer if i did??? i'd recommened it.

My own personal opinion of the Corksport airbox, as it will support (or will very shortly) the COBB SRI - is a bit neutral. Now please don't get offended when I say this, as I will re-iterate that this is purely my opinion; unless I was fearing getting a defect notice from Mr Plod, I wouldn't really bother with the covering of the SRI.

Getting noticed perspective
    Lets be realistic, our cars are not really targets for the filth. Unless you are of Middle Eastern appearance (as much as I try not to stereotype and generalise - its out there for criticism) driving noisy rat skyline with a fcking milo tin exhaust, I think you'll be fine. If you don't take care of your car as far as road-worthiness is concerned, or show utter contempt for the road rules - or for others around you, you probably wont be fine.

Heatsoak perspective
    There is a limit to the amount of heatsoak that this can realistically reduce, and after driving an MPS with the SRI vs driving mine with the CP-E CAI, I know what I would choose. Its not that much of a difference in price, but I believe there is on performance. As I said, the ram effect cannot really be reproduced on the dyno.

However, at the end of the day it is your purchase with your hard earned money, and I believe that you will be happy with either item. In saying this; solidly consider spending the money on an intake pipe, irrespective of whether you choose the SRI or CAI.

I have been asked by a couple of members to provide a clip of the look and sound of the intake - whilst stationary and whilst driving and I will try to get some time to put up a decent, hi-def-with-external-mic clip of the intake sound this weekend for all you mod junkies.

Food for thought.

Mark

hmm so many options atm with what i want to do to the car..exhaust,sways,inlet but i think im gonna finish off the intake first and buy the cobb inlet pipe (in blue of course keeping with the engine bay theme lol). Well im off to order the inlet pipe =D

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Kebabylon View Post
    Yes, my brother. Bolts directly to it.

---------- Post added at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 PM ----------

My own personal opinion of the Corksport airbox, as it will support (or will very shortly) the COBB SRI - is a bit neutral. Now please don't get offended when I say this, as I will re-iterate that this is purely my opinion; unless I was fearing getting a defect notice from Mr Plod, I wouldn't really bother with the covering of the SRI.

Getting noticed perspective
    Lets be realistic, our cars are not really targets for the filth. Unless you are of Middle Eastern appearance (as much as I try not to stereotype and generalise - its out there for criticism) driving noisy rat skyline with a fcking milo tin exhaust, I think you'll be fine. If you don't take care of your car as far as road-worthiness is concerned, or show utter contempt for the road rules - or for others around you, you probably wont be fine.

Heatsoak perspective
    There is a limit to the amount of heatsoak that this can realistically reduce, and after driving an MPS with the SRI vs driving mine with the CP-E CAI, I know what I would choose. Its not that much of a difference in price, but I believe there is on performance. As I said, the ram effect cannot really be reproduced on the dyno.

However, at the end of the day it is your purchase with your hard earned money, and I believe that you will be happy with either item. In saying this; solidly consider spending the money on an intake pipe, irrespective of whether you choose the SRI or CAI.

I have been asked by a couple of members to provide a clip of the look and sound of the intake - whilst stationary and whilst driving and I will try to get some time to put up a decent, hi-def-with-external-mic clip of the intake sound this weekend for all you mod junkies.

Food for thought.

Mark

good stuff Mark, you make a fair point about getting noticed/ driving like an idiot and our cars going incognito... will still cover the intake for 'just in case' purposes and also to make the engine back look a little more finished

15. Default

I don't have a cover over my SRI and have never been pulled over. This is with twin cannon mufflers, coilover low and 19 inch rims. Its all about being sensible.

Can someone post up a pic of the Corksport kit so I know which one it exactly is??

17. Default

I have the corksport one on mine. Much less restrictive than the standard one. You can tell by looking at the OEM one - what were mazda thinking?

Lovin' driving on the F3 every day!!!! NOT
    Blog Entries

Default Corksport SRI installed

Hey there, I just fitted yesterday the Corksport SRI, TIP and Airbox to my MPS3. Looks OK, pretty damn easy to install. Have to find some black plastic paint or something like that to paint the "lairy boy racer" silicon hoses.

No air leaks as yet it seems. Only driven down the shops and back, a little bit "toey'er" (not good England I know but I think you'll know what I mean) it seems. Definitely can hear the stock BOV now. Just have to save for the down pipe now...........

Damo
    2006 True Red Gen 1 3 MPS Sports.

ZOOM ZOOM ZZOOMZ

Corksport Stuff, Special Mazda 6 Horn

Nice feedback

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast