User Tag List

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh No! Smokey Turbo Bro!

Default Oh No! Smokey Turbo Bro!

I was at the track yesterday and the car felt very down on power compared to what I am used to, there was a sense of hesitation in the throttle and my top speed on the straights was miles below what I normally get to.

At first I thought I just needed a re tune, my car has been blowing a lot more smoke than normal lately so I put it down to that.

Then it started doing this:

There were times when it was blowing considerably more smoke but I didn't catch that on camera. I've done nearly 60000km's and dozens of track days so it's not really all that surprising but I would have thought I would get more out of the original turbo.

Now this leaves me with a dilemma, provided I can have the smokey turbo diagnosis confirmed, I will then need to look at options to repair/refurbish/replace it.

I don't want a big turbo. I want something that is as responsive as the KO4 if not more, if that means getting another KO4 then so be it.

While i'm at it I might start looking at prices for HPFP and a new TMIC because if I get a turbo that flows any better than the KO4 then those things will start becoming serious limitations.

If I get another KO4 then I might as well look into the smokey turbo fix that has been applied to some warranty jobs as well where the rocker cover and PCV re route are done in the hope that the replacement will last a little longer than the original!

So, who can tell me what turbos are direct bolt ons, what refurbishment options are there for a smoking turbo? I want something that bolts straight up to the stock manifold and DP. From the looks of it BNR stage 1 is probably the best bet, but if there's something else out there that is basically a ball bearing KO4 for a reasonable price then I damn well want to hear about it!

A qyucj search on ebay finds this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-POWER...p2054897.l4275

Will @LittleredMPS and @MPS2NV be interested in a weekend turbo swap? Especially once your dream shed is fully fitted out Mitch? I will start talking to Tunehouse about repair options but I've got a feeling they will price themselves out of contention for parts + labour.
    Last edited by Reedy; 26-04-2014 at 06:04 PM.

Of course my good friend! The turbo we can look into a little more to limit the supporting mods to make what you want fitt your racing mps3!

The gtx2867 is likely your best "bolt on ball bearing" bet...

Bnr s1 is best "bolt on" bet...

If you're willing to go a bit further afield...
    A 6258 or 6758 EFR would offer you what you're after with a higher top end...

Edit: if I had time again, it's what I'd go for...
    Last edited by SarcasticOne; 26-04-2014 at 08:33 PM.

same EFR will see you miles ahead of the comp! they are great... but need to look at exhaust mani and DP and intake to match.... BNR s1 is bolt in!!!!! update tune with TH and go again with more mid punch.. BNRs2/3 will see you higher in rev range

For what your after BNR1 is the go.Pretty sure it can hold peak boost at redline too.
    no more 5000rpm drop offs and straight bolt on

With a BNR S1 then I will also want to get a HPFP and TMIC to take advantage. That's where costs start to blow out a little. Definitely an attractive option tho.

Anyone got a dyno graph of a BNRS1 install? I want to see what kind of torque curve we're dealing with over a K04

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    With a BNR S1 then I will also want to get a HPFP and TMIC to take advantage. That's where costs start to blow out a little. Definitely an attractive option tho.

Anyone got a dyno graph of a BNRS1 install? I want to see what kind of torque curve we're dealing with over a K04
    There is one of mine in TH dyno day about 4 yrs ago
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Quote Originally Posted by RedDjinn View Post
    There is one of mine in TH dyno day about 4 yrs ago
    Link to this please, Did a search and couldn't find it

Who sells the BNR turbos anyway? Can you only buy them direct?

Quote Originally Posted by 1CMS1 View Post
    Link to this please, Did a search and couldn't find it

Who sells the BNR turbos anyway? Can you only buy them direct?
    MPSG ROFL... Just buy direct email Bryan bnrsupercars@yahoo.com

Gcg do a hybrid turbo but mrt sell it, think it maybe a 2860 chra, I pulled one out of a members car a few months ago and it was a nice little unit, not sure of the price tag attached to it but could only expect it to be inflated.

The BNR S1 drop off seems to happen at around the same time as the K04 from what I can see comparing to my own graph...

Although, I'm guessing that tuning has progressed a bit since Luke had a S1 on his car, so hopefully the BNR has more in it up top.

Quote Originally Posted by RedDjinn View Post

Is that seriously the Stage 1? It's not hitting peak torque until 3500RPM! That's a junk torque curve, would rather a K04.

Is that seriously the Stage 1? It's not hitting peak torque until 3500RPM! That's a junk torque curve, would rather a K04.
    Diirps tune tho...

Thats untuned no ex mani

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Diirps tune tho...
    No tune sam! just limiters removed (hence why i was ZZB)
    Last edited by RedDjinn; 28-04-2014 at 06:49 PM.

18. Default

Also a thing to consider is switching to AP tune as you can get the tuner to taper boost/timing and where you want the power to come in with timing.

Any reason why Ecutek can't do that as well?

Quote Originally Posted by shaneski View Post
    Also a thing to consider is switching to AP tune as you can get the tuner to taper boost/timing and where you want the power to come in with timing.
    why? it does what he needs to do how the car responds is all down to the tuner, not the software...
    IMO the only reasons he has to move over to an AP would either be for flat foot shifting or to run an e85 map, and he doesn't want either of those...
    I can't really see anyone else who has better experience tuning an engine to be flogged on a track than Jim...
    the guys at stratified would probably be a close second...
    Any reason why Ecutek can't do that as well?
    Jim knows what you want, and knows how cars react on a race track, I see no need for you to switch
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast