User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deceleration exhaust burble

ok i'm fkn obsessed with this burble sound. it sounds so damn tough lol

on a mini cooper s with the works package

I reckon if i took one of my resonators off it would do it loud all the time. I have 2 resonators in my cat back and it makes it very bassy/boomy so it hides alot of the subtle noises that arent on WOT

@dazza dooooo eeettttt

the mini JCW edition seem to have it going for them in the sound department. its like clearing your throat with chunks of phlegm shooting out of your mouth . in another words, sounds dirty dirty

Last edited by lup15; 09-08-2013 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    Mine does it on downshift, not loud and usually everytime if i release the clutch slowly on downshift
    I've noticed this as well. It seems when you ride the clutch a bit it encourages it. I wouldn't be richening your tune on decel though, that's pretty stupid unless you have an actual benefit from it.

My exhaust setup burbles heaps and it's mainly the fact that the exhaust is very high flow.
    Last edited by ttshark; 09-08-2013 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ttshark View Post
    I've noticed this as well. It seems when you ride the clutch a bit it encourages it. I wouldn't be richening your tune on decel though, that's pretty stupid unless you have an actual benefit from it.

My exhaust setup burbles heaps and it's mainly the fact that my exhaust is very high flow.
    details of your car and exhaust?

Quote Originally Posted by lup15 View Post
    details of your car and exhaust?
    CPE DP, Corksport 3" Dual tip, CPE 3" TIP, CPE 3" CAI, Fidanza lightweight fly, SPEC Stage 2+ clutch, old HPF ecutek tune, other little things = burbles like a mufuka

With cobb OTS tune it still does it, just not as noticable. Ecutek tune was heaps rich.

7. Default

perhaps look into a cheap and easy mod like a resonator delete.

Best trailing throttle burble is the C63 AMG.

My MPS6 sounds nice but pops occasionally, though it sounds like it is meant to and not a stuffed exhaust and it sounds brutal on acceleration but doesn't intrude into the cabin. However, as I'm the only one driving the car, I've never heard what others hear outside, so it's hard to tell. The Dump Pipe gave me my sound.

I think a trailing cackle and mild pops with orange flames is nice, but you need the kind of car that looks the part too. Having a pissy little mockered-up sedan do it just looks stupid.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

This thread needs more Mazdaspeed/MPS videos showing the burble! Who's going to be first to record their attempt? :P

Love a challenge... Tomorrow morning when my boy gets up, we'll go for coffee and strap on the handy cam.

Sent from Samsung Note 2 LTE

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    Love a challenge... Tomorrow morning when my boy gets up, we'll go for coffee and strap on the handy cam.

Sent from Samsung Note 2 LTE
    yes do it!

Ok, it seems that the burble is mainly due to rich mixture on over run (deceleration). Fuel is burning outside the engine cylinders causing the burble.

Upon researching, there was mention that this can help keep the cylinders and valves cool, can prematurely destroy the cat and could be used for turbo anti-lag. The anti-lag was mentioned in the Cobb AP manual under injector over-run. Obviously this also means that fuel economy is not at its' best.

@rayd, seeming you're into tuning, do you have any input about turning in the burble?

edit: just a bit more info about tuning in a burble which I cant understand
    http://www.miataturbo.net/ecus-tunin...-timing-74296/
    Last edited by lup15; 11-08-2013 at 09:05 AM.

Seems to me that the way they are suggesting to tune it in is to retard timing aswell as lean the mixture even more that it already is on deceleration.
    also keep in mind that resonators/ mufflers will decrease the overrun sound , so things that enhance the sound are High flow/ cattless exhausts, resonator delete, less baffled mufflers.
    seems like there also could be a seperate "overrun" table which might not be exposed in ATR yet.

i might try on my car to see if i can introduce some low RPM burble.

Quote Originally Posted by rayd View Post
    Seems to me that the way they are suggesting to tune it in is to retard timing aswell as lean the mixture even more that it already is on deceleration.
    also keep in mind that resonators/ mufflers will decrease the overrun sound , so things that enhance the sound are High flow/ cattless exhausts, resonator delete, less baffled mufflers.
    seems like there also could be a seperate "overrun" table which might not be exposed in ATR yet.

Use smaller exhausts less mufflers. Instead of 3' pipe with mufflers to quiet them, use a 2.5' pipe and use less res/muffler. All the cars I have heard do this used no cat, carbie, one muffler and smaller pipes. (The smaller pipes will be quieter than 3' so you need less res/muffler for same DB)
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

what I don't understand is why they say to run the mixture lean? Am I right in saying that you run the mixture lean, but tinker with the timing so that you make the combustion outside of the cylinders? But because the mixture is lean, the resulting combustion isn't a dramatic explosion that will ruin the cat and blow holes in the exhaust piping?

also leaner mixer = easier to combust? so that the heating in the exhaust system can light up the mixture?
    Last edited by lup15; 11-08-2013 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lup15 View Post
    what I don't understand is why they say to run the mixture lean? Am I right in saying that you run the mixture lean, but tinker with the timing so that you make the combustion outside of the cylinders? But because the mixture is lean, the resulting combustion isn't a dramatic explosion that will ruin the cat and blow holes in the exhaust piping?

also leaner mixer = easier to combust? so that the heating in the exhaust system can light up the mixture?
    That's my understanding of it also, just regarded timing in low rpm regions and it seemed to add a tiny bit of extra burble, will retard abit more and see the effects

That's my understanding of it also, just regarded timing in low rpm regions and it seemed to add a tiny bit of extra burble, will retard abit more and see the effects
    oh success! your car is very deserving of a bit of burble. sound clip please when you get it nice !

alright, this will become a repository of burbling exhaust videos lol
    @rayd any further developments to your tweaking? I'm almost certain now that the burbling is mainly due to the tuning, although the exhaust system will influence the end sound.

I am curious as to what the effects of different methods in tuning will have on the burble and will keep researching. However, these seem to be the main tuning variables:
    a) retard timing only
    b) make over run AFR very lean
    c) combination of A and B
    d) enable over run fueling (apparently injectors are shut off on over run)
    e) combination of A-D

I've also searched youtube for an MPS with this but couldn't find any, which further points to that it is in the tuning.

Ok im taking a vid tomorrow of my burbling and i want opinions

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4

Bimmer sounds OK. I really hate unloaded revving of engines though, esp above ~3000rpm.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast