User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel Cut due to TBE

1. Default Fuel Cut due to TBE

I had a TBE fitted today and I am fairly sure I am getting fuel cut now in 3rd gear at around 5,000rpm but not second and I am not going to get 4th to that rpm. (What i think fuel cut is feels like i'm putting in the clutch or quickly jumping off the power but i'm not)

What can I do about this? Will this damage anything?

I read that the best option is to tune the car as this will sort out the values. Is this correct? Will resetting the ecu help? Will anything be damaged if I don't fix it? Should I just take it easy for a while until I can afford the tune?

Lots of questions I know.
    Last edited by Crusher_13; 07-05-2009 at 08:51 PM.

Blog Entries

Do not think you would be getting feul cut with your mods...anyone?

You could get the Big Boy Flash from CP-e?

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Nuliaj View Post
    You could get the Big Boy Flash from CP-e?
    Excuse me?

The BBF is a flash CP-e developed which stops you from getting fuel cut...ever.

Did you just get the TBE? Do you have a pod/MAF adaptor aswell? What sort of TBE did you get?

I got a TBE and it was fine, but, the MAF housing was 3" instead of 2 3/4" and I had all sorts of problems. Feels like the power is cut breifly then comes back in so aggresive that the wheels would chirp. Does it give a small sort of backfire? Watch my "Youtube" Willowbank run, see if its the same sort of thing. Keep us informed on whats happening.

I don't think you've got fuel cut 2XS. FC is quite violent and scary the first time you get it.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Nuliaj View Post
    I don't think you've got fuel cut 2XS. FC is quite violent and scary the first time you get it.
    Does my description sound like it is fuel cut?

2XS. I took your advice. Have the CES Racing TBE.

And I cant find that flash on the CPE site.

Sounds like boost cut to me mate..
    Quite possible its spiking in 3rd (limited 1st and 2nd)

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Sounds like boost cut to me mate..
    Quite possible its spiking in 3rd (limited 1st and 2nd)
    Can you offer a fix? and possibly a description of boost cut so I can compare it to what I am feeling?

Anyone please correct me if I am wrong.
    Boost cut is more like hesitation, fuel cut is like slamming on the brakes.

Short of a tune not too sure, possibly a more restrictive intake?

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Anyone please correct me if I am wrong.
    Boost cut is more like hesitation, fuel cut is like slamming on the brakes.

Short of a tune not too sure, possibly a more restrictive intake?
    I'd say fuel cut from your description. Its not a hesitation is a stop. Like really quickly jumping of the gas.

I thought about changing the intake too. Or just a more restrictive filter.

It is a 2006 car so it will have some of the older problems with fuel cut.

Will something like xcede? or Cobb AP solve fuel cut?

Personally have not had fuel cut so cannot really comment further, however here is another thread you may find interesting/of help.

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...boost-cut.html

Im sure you will have some more answers tomorrow.

Another thing, do you have a dash hawk and is the problem easy to replicate? (Ie does can you make it happen?)

If so you could do some logging and determine if its boost or fuel..

15. Default

Is the CPE flash now an option in AUS? I wouldn't expect so. Did you reset the ecu after the install? How long have you been now driving the car since the install? Give it a couple of days and see if it goes away as the ECU might just need time to adjust. Additionally, those running Xede tunes have not to my knowledge experienced any fuel or boost cut.

16. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic3MPS View Post
    Did you reset the ecu after the install? How long have you been now driving the car since the install? Give it a couple of days and see if it goes away as the ECU might just need time to adjust. Additionally, those running Xede tunes have not to my knowledge experienced any fuel or boost cut.
    I have only driven 40km (at the most) with it.

My next step was to reset the ECU but I was hoping someone would mention something more specific. Again I was also hoping the ECU would do what it did with the intake and eventually learn it and change the settings.

Thanks for all the replies so far. I'll give it some time and not sink the boot in, and reset the ECU tonight.

Does it matter which terminal I take off the battery? positive or negative? I recall the Cobb install instructions for the intake mention one and not the other.

The problem is that people don't know every (assuming there is more than one) cause of fuelcut for our engine. CP-e's flash is a band aid fix which while addresses the symptoms, does not address the causes. If we could find out what causes the cut, then we would be able to tune to minimise or remove it.

When disconnecting the battery I believe its the negative you want to remove. This is more a safety issue when you're playing around in the engine bay. If you're just disconnecting it and letting it sit there, then either will do. Some people say you want to leave it for an hour as the car has a backup battery for the electronics. I'm hoping this will fix the issue for you, but I don't believe it will.
    Nuliaj: Hatches are only really half a car anyway.
    shinslinger66: And you forgot to add that they are also a girls car!

Ive had issues like this when adding parts etc.

Before you look to far you should reset your ecu. Remove Negative and pump brakes ( they will firm up after several ). Reconnect and your ready to go. Remember it takes several key cycles and around 100km before fuel trims etc settle down.

If you still have probs I would look at your Cdfp. I had the same issue in 3rd at the same revs when I had the Piasini v3 update. It eventually settled down alot but I upgraded my pump and all was fixed.

Cheers Aaron
    08 VW GTI PIRELLI DSG - 1 OF 400
    S3 HEART WITH 229 kw OF APR GOODNESS

SOLD - 06 MPS3 / CPE CAI / CPE HKS BOV / CPE HV2 BELLMOUTH DUMP & METALLIC CAT / CPE MOUNT / COBB SUSPENSION / DBA SLOTTED ROTORS C/W HAWKS PADS

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher_13 View Post
    I have only driven 40km (at the most) with it.
    ALWAYS, ALWAYS drive your car gently for about a hundred k's after adding mods and resetting the ecu (yes, you should do it everytime you change something) as your car is relearning all its LTFT (long term fuel trim) data, while it is an unlikely scenario you can pop an engine if you go too hard on new mods, the likely hood of this happening is exponential to how heavily modded your car is.

Give it a chance to settle in and try again in a few days, I know its always tempting to see how the new mod goes.

As far as removing the battery terminal, remove the negative, either one will achieve the desired effect, but seeing as the car body is grounded, if you are unbolting the positive and your spanner touches the bodywork its will not only scare the crap out of you but you can fry your ecu.

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPS3 View Post
    ALWAYS, ALWAYS drive your car gently for about a hundred k's after adding mods and resetting the ecu (yes, you should do it everytime you change something) as your car is relearning all its LTFT (long term fuel trim) data, while it is an unlikely scenario you can pop an engine if you go too hard on new mods, the likely hood of this happening is
    My understanding was that LTFTs are made by the ECU if it consistently sees the same STFTs at a certain point. After installing a new mod (and not resetting the battery) while the car will still run with LTFTs, it is always adjusting fueling based on STFTs?
    Nuliaj: Hatches are only really half a car anyway.
    shinslinger66: And you forgot to add that they are also a girls car!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast