User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has my turbo Crapped its self ?

Default Has my turbo Crapped its self ?

Hey all I've recently noticed as whine coming whine boost cones on it hasnt gotten progressively worse ( that ive noticed) at first I thought it might have been air squealing from a loose intake clamp as I had it off last week while fixing a busted coolant hose , but I took it all off and checked for leaks and tightened everything back up and its still there like a supercharger kind of whine, car still boosts to normal levels but the intake noise doesn't seem to be as loud , I'm not sure if its just me trying to hear more problems or not ??
    I have noticed though that boost is about 1psi lower in the neg at idle ie: normal is -10.80 and now 9:3-9:7

And help/ advice greatly appreciated as I'm looking into a new turbo setup from the states for if I need it , however id really like to have to not spend the coin if its something cheaper

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    "la fortuna favorisce il coraggioso"
    CP-E TMIC, K&N typhoon SRI , COBB 2way adjustable shifter, TWM bushings, Sure AGS 212g knob, JBR 70a trilogy mounts, JBR boost tubes, Medieval 2.5" TIP, 2XS racepipe, 2XS interior light upgrade, Hypertech , RDA slotted front rotors, DGR coilovers, hotchkis RSB, Ultragauge EM, Work CE28N'S in blaze blue, D1 blue lugs

could be many things. and no way to know for sure unless you open it up. journal could be worn. journal might not be getting enough oil flow. a rat is stuck in there. etc.

Default Re: Has my turbo Crapped its self ?

Nnnaaawww ! Not another rat .....

take the intake off and spin the wheel to hear if anything is scraping the housing. bout the cheapest thing you can do without taking things apart

I got a whine too started noticing it when there was apparent first signs of smoke...

Still not sure if it's turbo or boost leak related all companies i've been to, to inspect for boost leaks have said that im fine. This weekend i'll put top mount back on and see what happens about the whine if it's still there turbo MAY be the cause of it.

Would a slightly bent turbo fin cause this noise? I noticed that 1 of my fin's was a little bent near the outside edge :S, but i didn't have any shaft play that i could notice.
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

yes. and you dont need shaft play to get a bent fin. but and bent fin over time could wear the journal quicker and create shaft play.

considering these things spin up to 3 time faster than what the engine does. it doesn't take much for something small to slip in there. kinda why air fliters are so important. but it is only speculation without a proper inspection.

mmmmmm i had the same whine in 2nd gear, but has now disappeared :S had me worried everytime i heard it!!

i'll make a recording of the noise one day... Also @raffa how do your Fuel trims look?

Quote Originally Posted by projectrracing View Post
    yes. and you dont need shaft play to get a bent fin. but and bent fin over time could wear the journal quicker and create shaft play.

considering these things spin up to 3 time faster than what the engine does. it doesn't take much for something small to slip in there. kinda why air fliters are so important. but it is only speculation without a proper inspection.
    Sorry to burst your bubble mate, unless it was a typo, they spin at around 120 000rpm on the boost that we run!!! Here you go...right at the bottom http://opelastra.top-forum.net/t7-ko...-label-diagram even faster than what I mentioned.

Any who.....did you check all your belts? Noise only there when driving or can it be heard when you are stationary and revving it?
    Last edited by Grumpy; 06-11-2012 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Link added
    Cheers

Grumpy

Tuned with
    By Alex...........

Nah only when on boost

hey guys i pulled my turbo apart just to have a look see and i recommend that you all might want to do the same as i discovered i need to do a rebuild on it worn journal bearing (for those not wanting to spend the coin this would be the cheapest alternative to going out and buying a new turbo)

yeah $50 for a rebuild kit of ebay ain't bad. comes with new journals to press in.

This is my noise ...

Sounds supercharged!!

Well I have a good news/ bad news situation for you @Bakis ...

The bad is for me ;
    I took my filter off today and found 100,000,0 pieces of what WAS a coolant hose clamp firmly lodged in the inside grooves of my filter, so its fairly safe to say at the very least I've bent a fin ...GREAT!

The good is for you ;
    Its not the same noise I have, all be it a little similar

So T4 here I come ..
    Stay tuned

"la fortuna favorisce il coraggioso"
    CP-E TMIC, K&N typhoon SRI , COBB 2way adjustable shifter, TWM bushings, Sure AGS 212g knob, JBR 70a trilogy mounts, JBR boost tubes, Medieval 2.5" TIP, 2XS racepipe, 2XS interior light upgrade, Hypertech , RDA slotted front rotors, DGR coilovers, hotchkis RSB, Ultragauge EM, Work CE28N'S in blaze blue, D1 blue lugs

Quote Originally Posted by raffa View Post
    Well I have a good news/ bad news situation for you @Bakis ...

The bad is for me ;
    I took my filter off today and found 100,000,0 pieces of what WAS a coolant hose clamp firmly lodged in the inside grooves of my filter, so its fairly safe to say at the very least I've bent a fin ...GREAT!

The good is for you ;
    Its not the same noise I have, all be it a little similar

So T4 here I come ..
    Stay tuned

O man that sucks , well after reading up on the net, i've looked into fixes to try and cure the turbo whine (after a symptom of a bent fin), and well all people say dont bend it back and repair it...

I've seen my bend though it's right on the endof the blade and its about 3-4mm long and bent and a straight 45 degree angle might have a crack and it and see what happens. I know that it will be weaker along the put of where the metal bent but will see worst comes to worst i'll get a BNR.
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

Quote Originally Posted by raffa View Post
    The bad is for me ;
    Damn, I really though it was gonna be a rat in there.

I this Bakis issue it the same, his just isn't as multiple bent fins.

I think I have the same issue can hear the the noise in 1st and 2nd at low rpm but once the revs get higher cant hear it because of the intake and exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by projectrracing View Post
    Damn, I really though it was gonna be a rat in there.
    Haha I'd almost rather a rat ..

Would this be giving me weird Fuel Trims or not? Cause i've either got 1 problem or 2 lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast