User Tag List

Thread: Wanting to increase turbo spool noise, while still retaining factory airbox!

Default Wanting to increase turbo spool noise, while still retaining factory airbox!

Hey guys, is this possible without modifyimg the airbox in anyway and just installing a tip and aftermarket piping to the airbox? Or is it mainly the pod filter on the end of the sri's that gives them the noise?
    Do any companies make an,induction tube from the turbo to factory airbox? That would make sufficient spool noise!

Cheers mitch

$15 mod..... I know u didnt want to mod the box but this is how to get sounds...

- - - Updated - - -

Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Default Wanting to increase turbo spool noise, while still retaining factory airbox!

I found that the stock filter was thick and didn't flow very well. Achieved spool noise increase by k&n filter replacement. If I would have had the patients I would have attempted something like redjinn's as it looks unbelievably professional. Looks great!
    Last edited by Carbyfed; 20-09-2012 at 08:41 AM.

A K&N panel filter will allow a bit more spooling noise, also alloy TIPs (not silicone) are said to increase induction / spooling sounds as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPS3 View Post
    A K&N panel filter will allow a bit more spooling noise, also alloy TIPs (not silicone) are said to increase induction / spooling sounds as well.
    this ^
    found metal inlet pipe made much more noise than silicone
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

I don't think you can replicate the sound of a CAI or SRI set-up. My set-up is quite loud at the moment with CAI. As suggested above I would recommend a aluminium TIP, perhaps upgrade the silicon hose that connects directly to the air box too. Compliment the above with a K&N panel filter and perhaps modify the airbox (as above, or similar) to be able to accept a larger quantity of air with less resistance.

Have you heard a CAI or SRI on a MPS?

Another thing which wasn't mentioned above...exhaust!! I can hear a nice sppoled-growl through my exit pipes similar to this

Lol...or just do this (I've changed permissions for this video so you should be able to see it)

Facebook/Rogwick
    Last edited by rogwick; 20-09-2012 at 12:44 PM.

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

No I havent heard a modified mps in person before the closest thing ive heard is a stock gen1,that I test drove and the intake noise was awsome, the gen 2 is just way too quiet, I hate loud exhausts but induction I love. I like the stock airbox becasue it keeps out heat and looks stock.

8. Default

just wandering how you went with this. I also wanted to achieve the same thing on my recent mps6 while retaining the stock air box. Removed the restrictor plate in the air box and replaced stock filter with a K&N. Can definitely hear it spool now! I want to go further removing the intake resonator in the inner guard as well as replace the TIP and inlet/accordian hose to the the air box. I found two pipes that will achieve this. First is the ATP pipe, aluminium and the second is the sure big mouth, an all silicon piece.

has anyone had any experience with either of these. Both are pretty pricey, $285 odd for the sure and about $360 for the alloy ATP pipe. As I said, both these connect to the turbo inlet and stock air box at the maf inlet.

9. Default

My recommendation get corksport stg 2 and be done.

Pretty sure CPE sell just a TIP also

Just put in a GTX3567 , should change the sound abit