User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: COBB Tuning SF Short Ram Intake System - my first mod ever!

Default COBB Tuning SF Short Ram Intake System - my first mod ever!

Hi guys just got a cobb sri installed the other day along with a cpe turbo inlet pipe and so far loving it. ive read somewhere that the brackets on the intake may snap without an engine mount? does any body have the cobb intake? what are your thought on this. thanks

i would replace the stock engine mount, it will improve gar shifting too.

Default Re: COBB Tuning SF Short Ram Intake System - my first mod ever!

I snapped my brackets even with a very hard rmm so you would easily do it without one

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Its more the rubber grommets snap/shear than the bracket itself.

Quote Originally Posted by hanzyo View Post
    Hi guys just got a cobb sri installed the other day along with a cpe turbo inlet pipe and so far loving it. ive read somewhere that the brackets on the intake may snap without an engine mount? does any body have the cobb intake? what are your thought on this. thanks

that sounds like a load of bollocks to me... why would you break a bracket on an intake cause you dont have en engine mount?
    unless your engine mount is THAT broken that it's rubbing up against something... but that's a whole new issue...
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

thanks guys, what can i do to prevent this?

i came across the thread on mazdaspeedforums.

Id try doing the bracket up lose where the rubber bits are to give it a bit of play. But I just removed my bracket and it hasn't moved.

what are the signs that this may be happening? sorry, dont know much about all this. just starting to get into it. also, I dont understand how this could possibly happen? i dont see anything that may be in direct contact with the bracket that could cause it to snap?

i didn't have any signs i was just checking it one day and saw that I could freely move the SRI. So I undid the bracket and have left it off ever since.
    The MPS engine does move quite a bit, give it a try when its wet by giving it a squirt when stationary and you may hear a thud against the firewall - bit of movement going on.

I had a rear mount but perhaps I need side mounts and that may have saved it but i dont think the bracket is necessary as all other SRI's dont come with one. I'll see if i still have my bracket and will take a picture
    Former 06 Black MPS3

EXE-Crew

The bracket is there because in the eww ess ayyy they are required to have the intake 'secured'.
    In Australia (depending on your state or territory) this is not a direct requirement however, it is meant to be 'enclosed' in a box.
    Most intakes are not supplied with a bracket, so its not a biggie.

awesome, thanks heaps for the advice guys!

I threw a couple of rubber washers underneath the area where the bracket bolts onto the tray (under the battery box), so far so good.

This is the order of the assembled parts

- nut
    - SF bracket
    - rubber grommet
    - battery tray

so after a few months with this mod something does not feel right. actually noticed this a couple of weeks after. when i first got this I could feel the gains, was actually getting a bit of wheel spin in 3rd when i gave it a bit, but now nothing. thought maybe it was just me getting used to it or my worn tyres but it definitely does not feel as responsive as it did when it was first installed. any ideas? ive taken a look at it sri + tip but have no bloody clue what i should be looking out for. ill be taking it back to the place i had it done as ill be getting the engine mount for christmas but that wont be for another 2 weeks.

how does your maf look? was it dirty?

so after a few months with this mod something does not feel right. actually noticed this a couple of weeks after. when i first got this I could feel the gains, was actually getting a bit of wheel spin in 3rd when i gave it a bit, but now nothing. thought maybe it was just me getting used to it or my worn tyres but it definitely does not feel as responsive as it did when it was first installed. any ideas? ive taken a look at it sri + tip but have no bloody clue what i should be looking out for. ill be taking it back to the place i had it done as ill be getting the engine mount for christmas but that wont be for another 2 weeks.
    Where did you get it installed?

it looks ok to me, maybe it is worth a clean?

I got them installed at mps garage.

it looks ok to me, maybe it is worth a clean?

I got them installed at mps garage.
    I had my SRI & TIP installed there. I've had about three separate issues following their work and install (including them re-using a broken bolt and the TIP not being secured and bolted in properly). If you suspect an issue with it, I'd say go somewhere more reputable and get them to have a look at it for you.

Your call, but I personally just don't trust MPS Garage's workmanship.

hmmm not good at all. know of any other places around there?

if it is the case of the parts not being secured properly, what potential problems may this have caused??

I go to Tunehouse for everything with my car now. Not sure if that's local or accessible for you?

My knowledge isn't all that great, but if your intake is loose, that could cause a drop off in power in some way. Alternatively, it may not be the intake at all, which Tunehouse would be able to diagnose for you as well.

has the air filter been changed since it was first installed? If it has I'd check all the clamps and see if you can tighten any

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast