User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Modifying Stock Exhaust

cat back generally doesnt do much performance wise due to the stock cats which are still there. the stock cats are generally very restrictive, you could always replace them with high flow cats.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    yea i am going to remove second cat with straight pipe... would love a full replacement piece so i could swap back if need be... but shipping is crazy right now and TXS doesn't seem to make them anymore ??

our cat back i think is pretty good apart from diameter... there are minimal bends only major one as it goes over the rear axle.. thus why a full cat back system doesn't yield that much more power...

Of course if money is no issue then a full after market system is the go .. but with given times and economy not everyone can afford full systems to be shipped e.t.c. or even just from local.... thus why i started this thread...

haha i bight my tongue !! MPS Garage FTW !! Cork Sport Race Pipe ?? not for road use ? why is that ? What does it actually replace ?

http://www.mpsgarage.com.au/shop/pro...race-pipe.html

---------- Post added at 08:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 AM ----------

looks like issues with it anyway as MPSG site says.. looking on US forums now and people leaking all over the place haha... be better off either making your own or cutting out existing !
    Any exhaust shop should be able to make up a straight piece to swap over i would think? All they would need to do is weld a flange on each end yeah? Would still be heaps cheaper than getting a race pipe from the US. You could even make one up yourself. The pipe and flanges are fairly cheap. Just got to measure it up right and find someone to weld it together.

yea slight extra cost though getting shop to make it up... i reckon 150 to 200

got car back this arvo and very happy with the result. they put in the piece to replace centre muffler. flanged it to ( ) and put flanges on section they cut out so ican bolt muffler back in if needed.

Do the above posts also apply to the 6MPS as well as the 3MPS?

I was planing on a CPE dump pipe with high flow cat convereter. (the bugger has gone up in price just recently too)

Cheers,
    Scienceman

Quote Originally Posted by Scienceman View Post
    I was planing on a CPE dump pipe with high flow cat convereter. (the bugger has gone up in price just recently too)
    Where were you planning on buying it from? Prices have been pretty set for awhile now.
    Nuliaj: Hatches are only really half a car anyway.
    shinslinger66: And you forgot to add that they are also a girls car!

Quote Originally Posted by remotegt View Post
    got car back this arvo and very happy with the result. they put in the piece to replace centre muffler. flanged it to ( ) and put flanges on section they cut out so ican bolt muffler back in if needed.
    nice !! hows it sound ?? any chance of a video or sound clip ?

BLACK 06 MPS3 - HKS SRi/K&N - SU REM - TWM STS & Bushings - Custom MP

yeah ill put one up tomorrow night

Got the car back today ... center mufflers repaced with straight throughs @ fyshwick exhaust....loving the sound ..... people might actually fear me now .....

Anyone thinking about this should deffrinatley do it

coops Guest

Black FTW,

MPS a just bought has full straight through turbo back 3inch stainless system on it, not sure what they did with cats and stuff. Have a receipt for work, nearly $2500(better him than me!) makes it sound a heap better(without being dronney on highway) and got close to another 15kw's on same dyno after being done! Never drove it with standard system so don't know how much difference it has made. Got a similar system on my rex a couple of years ago tho and it made a big diff to that.

Coops.

Quote Originally Posted by LYNCHY View Post
    Got the car back today ... center mufflers repaced with straight throughs @ fyshwick exhaust....loving the sound ..... people might actually fear me now .....

which ones there are about 3 you could take out ..... after the cat it goes... baffle/resonator......then big muffler thing..... then another straight through muffler at rear...

BLACK 06 MPS3 - HKS SRi/K&N - SU REM - TWM STS & Bushings - Custom MP

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    which ones there are about 3 you could take out ..... after the cat it goes... baffle/resonator......then big muffler thing..... then another straight through muffler at rear...
    ummm?????

Big muffler thing i think ...just asked them to copy Remotget's one
    マツダスピード

take out the central bigger offset muffler. leave the rear one in there and the resonator.

eventually ill go 3 inch full system with high flow cats and new dump pipe.

Take out resinator, remove rear muffler, change large muffler to a smaller single straight through type. Job done for $120.

Cheap as chips!

my catback cost $1500!!!!!!

Any of you guys actually dynoed to see if any real gains are made?
    Last edited by MaN|aC; 21-05-2009 at 03:03 PM.

i might chuck on dyno on friday, some friends have one. $1500 i assume stainless and paid full rrp for it?

AD07 thats pretty good for what you done. mine was a bit more coz ofthe flanges i got hem to weld in and put n section they took out.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by LYNCHY View Post

Sounds sweet man. Any performance increase at all??

i have nt noticed any. if there is its not much. as the front cats and dump would be the most restrictive

Quote Originally Posted by MaN|aC View Post
    Cheap as chips!

No dyno Maniac....everyone thinks a cat back does SFA. It might not do much, but i reckon a few less restrictions cant hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by MaN|aC View Post
    Cheap as chips!

ripped

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast