User Tag List

Thread: Downpipe, Cat-Back Exhausts, Catalytic Converters

Default Downpipe, Cat-Back Exhausts, Catalytic Converters

Does the CP-E Downpipe shown on MPSG have a Catalytic Converter with it when purchased? Or does it bolt onto the OEM Catalytic Converter?

Also if I bought the CorkSport or CP-E Cat-Back Exhaust, does it bolt straight onto the OEM Catalytic Converter?

And lastly, if all the answer to those questions are yes, does the Hi-Flow Catalytic Converters shown on MPSG directly replace the OEM without having to do any welds etc.

So mixing and matching is possible? The system doesn't require of ONE specific brand to be fitted for the whole Turbo back?

For the Mazda6 MPS btw
    Last edited by High on PSI; 24-07-2011 at 10:42 PM.

Firstly what car do you have?

Mazda6 MPS

oops, edited my first post!

The MPS has two catalytic converters from factory, and as far as I know the CP-e unit (along with most other aftermarket catted units) incorporates only 1 cat. And I believe MPS Garage only sell the catted DP.

The high flow catalytic converter on their website replaces the second cat and according to the description is compatible with standard and aftermarket cat-back systems.

Also, the cat back exhausts should bolt straight up to your original cat.

So there's ONE Catalytic Converter on the CP-E Downpipe... is it legal to run just ONE? I don't see of any Catalytic Converter in the picture, any idea where it starts from?
    Or will the CP-E Downpipe bolt onto the second Catalytic Converter, therefore making it run TWO?
    I'm guessing the second Catalytic Converter is between the Downpipe and the T/Y/Midpipe piece?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to get this done right before I spend the big bucks!

Stock has 2 cats. Most down pipes replace both cats with one high flow cat. all cat back exhausts bolt to the back of the second cat. If you have a CPE down pipe installed which replaces both cats your cat back exhaust will bolt directly to the down pipe.. hope that mase sense

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy22587 View Post
    Stock has 2 cats. Most down pipes replace both cats with one high flow cat. all cat back exhausts bolt to the back of the second cat. If you have a CPE down pipe installed which replaces both cats your cat back exhaust will bolt directly to the down pipe.. hope that mase sense
    Makes sense! Thank you
    Does the CP-E Downpipe already have the Hi-flow Cat?
    And most importantly, is it legal to just run only ONE since stock has TWO?

You can get the CP-E with or withou tthe cat but i think mpsgarage only sell the one with cat.

Not sure if its legal or not. never heard of anyone getting into trouble over it

Not legal, you have to keep the same amount of cats as it was released from factory with, and you have to have one equal distance (minimum) from the turbo.

Very hard to spot on an MPS though and since won't be all that loud and cant see exhaust by looking under the car.

In Victoria
    Last edited by Bakis; 25-07-2011 at 07:46 PM.

Sorry I was going to reply last night but my phone battery died. I am in NSW and I think its illegal to change the number of cats but its not really a noticeable mod, and you'd still probably pass emissions with one cat (someone correct if wrong)

And I think that MPS Garage only sell the catted version

meow! :P

Not noticeable? When I look under my car I can see the HUGE Catalytic Converter. If the CP-E downpipe replaces the OEM Catalytic Converters it wouldn't be there anymore?
    UGHHH can someone with this modification take a picture for me

Well it would be noticeable but only to people who knew the underside of an MPS, otherwise someone would have to have the vehicle specification to know.

I believe the CP-e cat is close to the turbo and has plain pipe where the second factory catalytic converter is. Use the search function there are pictures on here