User Tag List

Thread: How-To: MPS6 Install Stainless Steel Brake Lines

Default How-To: MPS6 Install Stainless Steel Brake Lines

How-To: MPS6 Install Stainless Steel Brake Lines

To begin, I decided to completely upgrade my brake system, considering that my car will do some track time this summer. If you are planning on doing all that I did, make sure that you have plenty of time, brake jobs can be very time consuming. If this is your first brake job, all I have to say is good luck and I hope that you find this how-to helpful. I’m ASE certified in brakes, and I’ve done a lot of brake jobs on many types of cars. If you are having any troubles or have some questions, shoot me a pm, I’d be glad to help.

Difficulty for installing stainless steel brake lines = 4
    Cost with fluids = around $100USD

New parts!

Difficulty for installing stainless steel brake lines = 4
    Tools needed for installing stainless steel brake lines + why?:
    Jack + jack stands – lift car

21mm socket wrench/or impact gun – remove wheels

12mm socket wrench – remove bolts for the brake line brackets, remove the
    bolt on the F+R calipers that the line attaches to

Needle nose pliers – remove brake line bracket retaining clips

10mm brake wrench – remove rubber line from hard line

17mm open end wrench – tighten the ss line onto the hard line

14mm socket wrench – tighten new bolts to attach the calipers to ss lines
    Stainless Steel Brake Line Install:
    1. Jack up the car, find a good spot for the jack stands(I used the inner car frame, I'd recommend the factory jack points since this beast is heavy), remove the wheels. Note: If you do not know how to support a car safely in the air, stop now and go to a mechanic.

2. Remove the front hard line from the factory rubber brake line, and remove the bracket bolt.

3. Remove the bolt for the bracket that holds the line on.

4. Remove the factory line, bolt, and washers from the front caliper, keeping note of the way/path the line travels.

5. Install the ss line with the provided bolt and washers onto the caliper in the same path as the factory line.

6. Route the ss line to the hard line, in a similar way as the factory rubber line.
    7. Bolt up the ss line to the hard line.
    8. Bolt the brackets on.

9. For the rears, remove the hard line from the factory rubber brake line. Then remove the metal clip.

10. Remove the factory line, bolt, and washers from the rear caliper, keeping note of the way/path the line travels.

11. Install the ss line with the provided bolt and washers onto the caliper in the same path as the factory line.
    12. With the ss line in, insert it into the bracket and insert the clip. The bracket has a built-in bolt configuration, so make sure that the new line matches up with that. Bolt up the ss line to the hard line.

13. Bleed the brakes, and make sure everything is on right and tight. We don’t want leaks.
    14. Celebrate, you are done!
    Note: I installed the ss lines with the calipers removed. You should be able to do this with the calipers on. I also used the rubber caps on the bleeder screws to cap off the hard lines, once the factory rubber lines were removed.

What's left now is to go for a drive. Have fun!

This was done on a USA spec MAZDASPEED6, there might be slight differences with the MPS6 models. Oh, and we use lots of stupid salt on our roads during winter, that explains the damn rust, even though most of what looks like rust is mud. lol

If you guys have any questions, suggestions, or want advice, send me a PM.

Another good "How To" with detailed instructions

I'm not a brake expert but what benefits are gained with the new SS lines?
    Thanks Matt.

Nice job!....Matt D

...you have already contributed more than most of the people in the list of top posters of all time

@ posters of all time