The EGR valve is now stuck closed and won't open

Picture of connector
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1341689963942.jpeg 
Views:	1610 
Size:	204.9 KB 
ID:	11717

Turning off CEL codes in ATR:
    Just go to "edit" then "advanced parameters" then "toggles (base)" and UN-check P0401 (insufficient EGR flow code) and p0403 (EGR valvue circuit fault code).
    Enjoy!
    Last edited by Rayd; 24-07-2012 at 11:59 AM.

Hah, I saw this on MSF yesterday too, got to love a mod that costs nothing more than a little time, did you end up doing the mod? If so what CEL code did you end up getting?Cheers.

Yep did it about an hour ago, did a quick run to maccas, and no CEL yet, I'm assuming one will pop up though.
    Also, BATs were 1-2 degrees cooler

what's an EGR and what does blocking it off do? benefits?

EGR-exhaust gas recirculation
    In our motors, the value is open at all times except WOT and idle. It allows the poorly combusted exhaust gasses to run back into the inlet manifold and though the head before returning back out through the exhaust. Good for emissions but causes carbon and soot to build up in the head and manifold and worst of all, causes increased BATs!

By disconnecting the ECU plug to it, it permanently holds the value shut, and hence forces exhaust gasses to flow right out the exhaust no matter what, keeping the head clean and lowering BATs

So pretty much no need for that EGR block off plate i've seen from james barone racing then??. I had heard about it but wouldn't have a clue what it did/does or where it is on the car.

What about those of us not blessed with ATR?

i know i can clear the CEL with the dash hawk, but won't it just come back?

Cheers,

Can you please insert a picture with the connector to remove. i wanna try this at work :P

I used a blockoff plate on mine and got rid of the pipe, havent seen a CEL since.

Can the cel just be cleared with the accessport or has to be ATR?

Awesome find by the way!

It can be cleared with the AP, I think to permanently remove you have to remove the code in ATR and reflash.

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    It can be cleared with the AP, I think to permanently remove you have to remove the code in ATR and reflash.
    So, without an AP (or VersaTune?) your best bet is probably a blockoff plate, as the ECU still thinks all is working OK?

Cheers,

Chris.
    '05 MPS 6, Liquid Silver Metallic, Leather, Sunroof.

DashHawk, TurboSmart Dualport, COBB SF SRI and TIP, CPe REM, 2XS Titanium SSP, Coolant bypass,
    Exedy OEM spec clutch, Corksport SS Braided Clutch Line, ROH Mantis 18*7.5+45.

Growing old is compulsory... Growing up is optional...

Probably why people use the block off plate. Might look into this mod

Quote Originally Posted by Victa View Post
    So, without an AP (or VersaTune?) your best bet is probably a blockoff plate, as the ECU still thinks all is working OK?

Cheers,

Chris.

Nope, the block off plate will still throw a CEL, you have to use ATR to get rid of it aswell
    Both methods result in the same thing, the unplug method is just ridiculously convenient... and saves you $20 + shipping from states for the plate.

and 100% reversible which i love.

Have you got instructions on clearing the codes with ATR? or a link to the MSF thread?

I have downloaded ATR but i'm only running a stage 1 OTS map so no need to use it.

lol so can someone please help me locate this connector cable? I really really want to try this and its lunch time right now and i want to go for a drive
    Last edited by MPSDAN; 24-07-2012 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY View Post
    and 100% reversible which i love.

Have you got instructions on clearing the codes with ATR? or a link to the MSF thread?

I have downloaded ATR but i'm only running a stage 1 OTS map so no need to use it.
    Thread updated with how to on ATR and picture.

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MPSDAN View Post
    lol so can someone please help me locate this connector cable? I really really want to try this and its lunch time right now and i want to go for a drive
    done

Thanks!

Just did it little tricky with a fractured hand but hey its done now and will see if the Dashhawk temp sensors pick anything up but the main gain is no more EGs are getting into intake!

Thanks for the find

haha thanks for this simple mod, infact it took me longer than 15s, took me more like 30secs trying to pull that connector hahaha!
    went for a drive around and no CEL yet. So glad we can do this, as I been thinkin to myself why are my BATs so hot, especially when my Intake temps are ambient when moving. :S did notice temps are slightly cooler, that may just be cause the cars still a little cold hjahaha!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast