User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hankook tyres for MPS6

Default Hankook tyres for MPS6

Today I found out that I need new tyres on my MPS6 - the front shoulders have gone bald and you know with AWD, you have to replace 4 tyres at the same time.

I am currently running Kumho KU31's and they have been fine however I would like to try something different, especially since they have gone up $40 each since I last purchased them (late last year or early this year).

I came across the Hankook K107 Ventus S1 Evo (as well as Ventus V12 Evo however these won't be in stock until next year and the bloke at Hankook reckons the S1's are better). They look good, similar to Continentals in design and get a good write-up wherever I can find one. And the price is about right!

At the end of the day I would like to hear from anyone who has had any experience with these on a similar car.

I had the KU31's and they lasted for about 33,000k's until the inside wear became so bad that the wire was hanging out. replaced them with Hankook K107 S1 Evo's about a month ago because they were the only tyres i could get in a hurry and they seem ok. ride comfort seems slightly better and not as loud. They got a real workout on the last WA cruise and had plenty of traction even in wet conditions.
    Last edited by Toddy22587; 13-12-2010 at 08:29 PM.

Sort of unrelated but I have Kumho KU21's which are pretty good, think they were close to $1000 fitted. Try catch up with Toddy22587 as he just recently put Hankook's on his MPS6, should be able to give you a price and perhaps some feedback.

Edit...never mind he commented above!! lol

ive got the Hankook K107 Ventus S1 Evo on my car. Ive had them a couple of years now and would get them again. They are awesome, great traction for corners and wet and very little road noise.
    Best price i found in WA was west state tyres.

littleredmps has the S12 evo, and they're fantastically quiet...
    he can give a full review

---------- Post added at 06:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 AM ----------

Hankook Ventus V12 Evo - Comparison Tests - Car and Driver
    feel free to take it with a grain of salt, but i find these sorts of tests interesting
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Thanks for the responses and the link to review. I was really impressed when I bought the Kumhos and I hope to be impressed by Hankook. I just can't justify spending $300+ on a tyre - the car had half worn Pirelli P-Zero Rosso's on it and they were alright but I didn't miss anything going to the KU31's. And apparently Potenza RE050A are pretty ordinary?

I got a price I am happy with today, 215/45 R18 Hankook S1 Evo's for $236ea. That's not a bad price, however a bloke I was talking to at a leading Sydney tyre retailer reckons the KU31's are better and longer lasting, and cost approx $60 less per tyre, and that's alot of money.

What to do?!

Quite a few members have the KU31's and are happy, I think if they're also cheaper is a no brainer to me, go with the KU31's. I originally planned to get the KU31's at my local place but they didn't have any in stock and recommended the KU21's which was actually even cheaper at the time. Can't complain, they seem to be a great tyre also. If you can get KU31's for a good price (better than Hankook's) go with them I reckon.

Some info to consider with the Kumho's to compare with the Hankook's. At the end of the day's they're both pretty good but for $60 less a tyre I know what I would choose

http://www.kumho.com.au/passenger

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

If you can get the Hankook V12 Evo's, or wait for them, do so.

I almost went with the K107 S1 Evo, but after scouting around a bit more found the V12 was both quieter, and performed better.

The K107 had some noise and wear issues in some cases which concerned me, the Kuhmo KU31 was also pipped because it falls down a bit in the wet and is noisey at highway speeds.

The outright grip offered by the V12 Evo in the wet or dry is nothing short of startling, but that is topped by how amazingly quiet these tyres are.

The cherry on top is how well they soak up rough road surfaces. Out where I live the roads are pretty crap but these tyres just roll over rough stuff soaking up all the impact shock.

They tend to feel a bit soft and almost vague when you first start turning into corners, but if you push past that, they will just hold and hold past where sanity would let you find out where they stop holding on lol.

I put in a lot of time researching different reviews on forums and professional reviews before picking the V12 and in the end find them to be one of the best tyres I have ever had.

They even have a 280 wear rating.

Simply put, buy the V12 Evo, you wont regret it.
    Last edited by RadiantKnackers; 14-12-2010 at 05:23 PM.
    MPS is gone. Ghey Trail enabled....Not Happy. MPS 6 to come

KU31's are good in the dry... but dont push em in the wet... even less so when you are getting low on tread (had a few scary moments on them...)
    i got mine for $150 each fitted, but after being in littleredmps's car, i think i'll be going the V12's for my next set
    they're quieter, and seemed to grip far more effectively... wear rating is similar as well

I've done some sums, if I buy the Kumho I will have to drive to Sydney (which is OK, because the saving still outweighs it), so there is approximately $50 in fuel. Then if I want to have them rotated and balanced locally, that's about $30 each time, and let's assume I will do that 5 times. So already up to $200 in additional expenses, where if I buy the Hankooks locally, I get a tyre plan with free rotations.

I am closer to a decision, but not much Might go for a road trip up north as I did last year and wear the rest of the tyres down...

Don't forget that one of our WA group is State Manager for Tyrecorp at Jandakot, handling Sumitomo's. I didn't buy my HTRZIII's from him as I met him after I had already fitted them, but I'd see him if I needed a replacement. I paid $265 each for mine from Diffens in Myaree, fitted and balanced.

See: Tire rack tests on http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=yes&tab=Tests

and fulll list of tyres and tests in 225/45/18 on http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...r=18&x=63&y=11 with ability to compare any tyres listed.

Tyrecorp
    Steven Devenny
    3/6 CHULLORA BEND
    JANDAKOT WA 6164
    PH 1300 855 519
    PH 08 9414 - 1788
    FAX 08 9414 - 1799
    MOB 0439 561 356
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 15-12-2010 at 03:54 PM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

I'd be interested in Sumitomos however there aren't many dealers local to me unfortunately.

I have decided to go with the Hankook Ventus S1 Evo as they were the right price through a dealer I trust, and to be honest I wanted to get tyres before Christmas as I am going to my home town, and I don't want to get done over the long weekend (the tyres are smooth on the outers). Will post my opinion when I road them

First impressions, not good. I drove about half an hour when the car started taking bumps hard and then started to handle like a face washer, so I pulled over and one tyre was flat. Changed to spare, drove back to tyre service and found out I had picked up a screw and also had lost it, so I didn't see the puncture when I took the tyre off.

Turns out I had been driving too long (pulled over as soon as I realised something wrong) and had destroyed the inner sidewall of the tyre and therefore have to purchase another tyre. Although it will take a week! Amongst other happenings, it was a very unlucky day.

Quote Originally Posted by andy b View Post
    First impressions, not good. I drove about half an hour when the car started taking bumps hard and then started to handle like a face washer, so I pulled over and one tyre was flat. Changed to spare, drove back to tyre service and found out I had picked up a screw and also had lost it, so I didn't see the puncture when I took the tyre off.

Turns out I had been driving too long (pulled over as soon as I realised something wrong) and had destroyed the inner sidewall of the tyre and therefore have to purchase another tyre. Although it will take a week! Amongst other happenings, it was a very unlucky day.
    sorry to hear, that is some bad luck alright!
    Mods: Cobb AP Stage 2, Mazdaspeed CAI, HKS SSQ BOV, ETS TMIC Anodised Black, CPE turbo back with highflo cat, Autotech Hi-Volume Fuel Pump Upgrade, Cobb Turbo Inlet Hose, cobb stage 2 suspension,CPE engine mount,Denso ITV22 Plugs, Dashhawk,TWM Shifter base bushings, JBR shift plate, MT90 transmission fluid, blacked out badges, carbon fibre mirror covers, led rear turn signals, JL sub in custom eclosure,JL amp, Eclipse AVN763Ea, 6000K HID.

Quote Originally Posted by jenx View Post
    sorry to hear, that is some bad luck alright!
    Wow that is unlucky......

I'll say! At least you can get a new tyre now rather than having 3 worn tyres and one new. All will be fairly new once they get the Hankook in. Definitely bad luck!

Yeah that's right, especially when my service department is always warning me about unevenly worn tyres! Still 4 days to go without a car to drive...

18. Default

Quote Originally Posted by andy b View Post

I would not be paying for a new tyre if I was you and would be asking the tyre shop about the free road hazard warranty tha Hankook offer for there UHP tyres
    Hankook Tyre Australia

Quote Originally Posted by TBDM View Post
    I would not be paying for a new tyre if I was you and would be asking the tyre shop about the free road hazard warranty tha Hankook offer for there UHP tyres
    Hankook Tyre Australia
    Exactly mate.
    MPS is gone. Ghey Trail enabled....Not Happy. MPS 6 to come

Heh unlucky.

I rotated my tyres yesterday and pulled a 10mm screw out of my rear right tyre. I marked up on the sidewall where it was but the pressure seems fine so I think I was lucky and it didn't puncture it all the way through. Will keep a close eye on tyre pressure for the next couple of weeks just to be sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast