User Tag List

Thread: Wheels/Tyres for the track

Default Wheels/Tyres for the track

Hola!

Anyone know of a good place to pick up a decent set of alloys + semi slicks for track day shenanigans without tearing holes in my road tyres?

What does Mazda charge per rim for Gen II wheels? I might just get 2 wheels + tyres for the front end. That's the only end that needs more grip.

I wouldn't suggest buying OEM rims from Mazda, unless you've recently won the lottery. It all depends on what sort of track work you're doing and how serious you are.

Lots Of Coin:
    -Oz Racing (I would get these)
    -Buddy Club (Or I would get these)
    -BBS
    -Rays
    -Enkei
    -Koya
    -Bridgestone RE55S
    -Dunlop DZ03G
    -Dunlop D01J

Tight Budget:
    -Check which size tyres you're going to run and then head to your local Wheel & Tyres place to pick out some cheap, nasty rims to throw them on.
    -Falken Azenis RT-615
    -Federal 595RS-R
    -Federal FZ-201
    -Toyo Proxes R888

There are obviously many more tyre and wheel combinations, but these are the ones easier to get in Aus. If you don't mind importing tyres, Nitto make some fantastic competition tyres like the NT01, NT05 and my personal favourite the NT05R. Just keep in mind that most slicks and semi-slicks come in very different sizes and profiles to road tyres and the majority of them will not fit or scrub.
    Last edited by Jeev; 08-12-2010 at 02:18 PM.

Would hope for a 1:1 changeover, My tyres are 225/40 R18 so a set of 18 inch Rims + identical tyres (Only semi slicks) is what I want for compatibility purposes.

How about wheel centre/rim offsets and the like? Would an 18" 5 nut wheel universally fit on my car or are there other bits of geometric voodoo that I need to be aware of?

Ozracing wheels look sweet, one set is a bit of a 458 Italia ripoff..... Tempted to make my MPS look like the car I wish it was.......
    Last edited by Reedy; 08-12-2010 at 03:28 PM.

What's your budget? I can make a suggestion based on that.

Since you're headed to the track, there's no problem with changing wheel/tyre sizes out of spec as there are no po-pos to fine you for it. I would probably go down to a 17" semi-slick anyway. Just make sure you have the correct PCD and Offset, so you can throw on anything you want.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeev View Post
    What's your budget? I can make a suggestion based on that.

Since you're headed to the track, there's no problem with changing wheel/tyre sizes out of spec as there are no po-pos to fine you for it. I would probably go down to a 17" semi-slick anyway. Just make sure you have the correct PCD and Offset, so you can throw on anything you want.
    Centre bore must be same or larger. If larger, centring ring required. Is smaller, up **** creek without a paddle?
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

Budget can be fairly flexible because I have a bad habit of buying slightly more expensive stuff than is strictly necessary if there are proper gains to be had.

Let's say $250 per corner to start with, but if I only got 2 wheels for the front end only then I might be willing to stretch a fair bit more than that.

$250 a corner might get you some tyres

Go with Proxes R888's.

You could look at eBaying a complete set of wheels and tyres for that sort of money.

Get on Kuhmo KU36's !! I got em for $245 each

Quote Originally Posted by kookie View Post
    Get on Kuhmo KU36's !! I got em for $245 each
    That's what I use on the road. They make a fantastic all-round tyre, but are not exactly track orientated. Ideally you want to step up to some R Spec semi-slicks for the track, or they're no different to road tyres.

If I just got a pair of wheels/tyres for the front end then I could go quite a bit more expensive. I would want something thats the same circumference as the rears tho or else it would freak the shit out of the DSC, so 17's might not be an option if that were the case. Also why I would like a set of Gen II rims so the car doesnt look like a patchwork POS at the track with non matching wheels.

I ended up changing to toyo r1r's bit more $330 a corner