User Tag List

Thread: 235 /40/18x8 - and lowered anyone rubbing?

Default 235 /40/18x8 - and lowered anyone rubbing?

Am thinking of a new direction for the mps6 - lowering, exhaust and rims

I already have my mind set on what I want with lowering packages, exhaust, but am undecided about the rims.

Currently been offered B.boss package (Maddison) fitted/balanced, etc for $1835 (inc tyres), but they are proposing 235/40's on the rims (Kumhos).

So i am wondering whether anyone is running 235/40's, has there vehicle lowered, without rolling the guards or will I need to do this in due course?

Cheers

Blog Entries

235/40 is a close fit expected to rub at the rear with weight in the boot, full load etc. If you're wheels are bboss then they're probably a +45 offset, which is OK with 235, BUT pushing clearances close. I'd suggest you'll need to have the rear guards rolled for clearance but would otherwiseby OK.

+48 or +50 are better offsets for 235 fitments, but are uncommon except foir RX-8 rims, and you'll notice heavier steering etc. With what you're proposing, slightly lighter steering and a touch more torque steer could be expected.

Quote Originally Posted by mazda6mps View Post
    Am thinking of a new direction for the mps6 - lowering, exhaust and rims

I already have my mind set on what I want with lowering packages, exhaust, but am undecided about the rims.

Currently been offered B.boss package (Maddison) fitted/balanced, etc for $1835 (inc tyres), but they are proposing 235/40's on the rims (Kumhos).

So i am wondering whether anyone is running 235/40's, has there vehicle lowered, without rolling the guards or will I need to do this in due course?

Cheers
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

torque steer on a 6...?

4. Default

they like to think we have that feature as well

i have 235/40/18 +45 and not lowered and i was getting rubbing by about 2 - 3mm on the very edge of the tyre on the rears going over sharp bumps. So you will most definately need the guards rolled with that set up.

Have other friends on here with RX8 rims (+48 offset) running 235/40/18 tyres and they didnt have rubbing until they got it lowered.

Not sure where you are located but in Sydney there is a fantastic guy Nelson (Sydney Guard Rolling) that has a done a whole heap of cars from the forum and not one sign of paint cracking.

Getting them rolled is not a big deal or expensive and depends on whos doing it shouldnt really change the shape of the guard from the outside.
    Last edited by blackbetty; 01-04-2010 at 08:55 PM.
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

Blog Entries

torque steer on a 6...?
    Good point, leave the torque steer out of the equation for the AWD demigods...
    the rest applies.

Actually : scratch "torque steer", insert "negative steering feedback"

Then it's the same for 3 and 6 MPS both!
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

Thanks gents, I do appreciate the responses.

Think i might stick with the 225/40's on stocks atm, and lower her with the coilovers.

Blog Entries

Thanks gents, I do appreciate the responses.

Think i might stick with the 225/40's on stocks atm, and lower her with the coilovers.
    I'm going to put my tyre nazi cap on now, and tell you that there are very few tyres out there for which that is a legal fitment. The vast majority of 225/40R18 require a 7.5" wide rim; specified by the tyre manufacturer.

In short : 215/45R18 and 225/45R18 are good fitments for the stock rims with the vast majority of tyres.

225/40R18 very few tyres are a legal fitment due to rim width spec, and if you want to fit them you should either ignore this advice (lots of people do) or very carefully choose your tyre picking one that is OK'd by the manufacturer for fitment on 18x7 rim.

Does anyone know where I can get guards rolled for a reasonable price in Melbourne?

Just after the two rear arches to be done all the way around.

9. Default

The tyre factory in south morang said to allow around $50 a wheel. They roll them in house.

I have 18x8 +35 with a 235/40/18 tyre with coilovers on my MPS3. My car is pretty low. My partner happens to be a professional guard roller so he was able to make them fit and stop any scrubbing. The wheels look and fit perfect. Fitment might be totally different on a 6, but that's just my two cents

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by whiteminx View Post
    I have 18x8 +35 with a 235/40/18 tyre with coilovers on my MPS3. My car is pretty low. My partner happens to be a professional guard roller so he was able to make them fit and stop any scrubbing. The wheels look and fit perfect. Fitment might be totally different on a 6, but that's just my two cents
    Unfortunately a +35 offset is a also a 35mm increase in track (52.5mm stock offset - 35mm new offset = 17.5mm difference on either side = 35mm track increase)
    Which makes your +35 offset wheels an open invitation to be defected on either a 3 or a 6.

There is no way in a screaming fit you can call +35 a "perfect fit"; it is in violation of QLD transport modificaton guidelines, and should the other states also adhere to the 25mm maximum track increase, it's an illegal fitment anywhere in Australia.

I'm sorry, whiteminx, but the owners here aren't ****ing idiots. If 235/40R18 on +45 needs gaurds rolled not to scrub then you need to move your gaurds an extra 10mm with a +35 offset to avoid rubbing. There simply sin't enough gaurd lip to fold that much away. So in that case you might have flared your guards slightly as well in order to accommodate your illegal tyre fitment.

Unfortunately, having measured the space up and done a lot of research on what will fit and what is legal before I fit after-market myself, in circumstances where you claim you fitment is "perfect", I feel compelled to contradict you.

At the very least, your +35 fitment should quickly earn you a defect in QLD. The sooner you get defected the better, IMO.
    People who take this kind of approach to mods just end up making it harder for everyone who wants to do it properly.

Please don't bother trying to argue, there's nothing to argue about.

12. Default

Off the following website: Fitting bigger wheels and tyres - www.drive.com.au

In Victoria the maximum width of any replacement rim can’t be more than 25mm, or one inch greater than the widest wheel specified by the manufacturer for that vehicle or model.

The overall diameter of the rim can’t be more than 15mm more than manufacturer specifications, while the rim and tyre are also not allowed to foul the bodywork or suspension.

So really, I can only go up to 19x8 rim, and tyres up to 240 width (35 height) according to my maths.

Lol.

I don't really give two ****s, to be honest. Unlike 97% of this forum, I don't take any advice from people on forums.

Like I said in my FS thread...

I can't really imagine any given situation where a policeman pulls you over for a random
    breath test, license check or even if you were speeding etc, pulling out his department of transport book of regulations, the Mazda 3 MPS owners manual/specifications and a tape measure and measuring the wheel track of your vehicle, discovering that the track of your vehicle is out by 13mm (or whatever it is out by), writing you a defect notice and a fine in the spot.

But anyway, I don't care. You can have your homo fitment and your tight ass, goody two-shoes point of view....

Quote Originally Posted by whiteminx View Post
    I can't really imagine any given situation where a policeman pulls you over for a random
    breath test, license check or even if you were speeding etc, pulling out his department of transport book of regulations, the Mazda 3 MPS owners manual/specifications and a tape measure and measuring the wheel track of your vehicle, discovering that the track of your vehicle is out by 13mm (or whatever it is out by), writing you a defect notice and a fine in the spot.
    They prob won't do that, but if you're being an idiot with the policeman and have other questionable mods then they may choose to defect you, The incorrect tyres can be a PIA when you have to take it over the pits! (unless you still got your stockies!) Not sure what insurance companies do in a claim situation if they deem the cause of the crash to be tyre/suspension related?

Best advice don't be an idiot around police and disclose any mods to your insurance company! And do mods that you're comfortable with
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

I got caught in a defect station on a cruise and the cop went over my car. Didn't give two shits about my wheels, but did defect me for my BOV lol. A friend of mine also got caught in the same defect station and got done for her SRI not being secure, once again didn't give two shits about her wheels and she is running 20's on her mps3.

Anyway, I find it very unlikely that I will be defected for track increase. If you think i'm insane with my current fitment, then best you stay away from my "members ride" in the next coming weeks once my new wheels are on. Don't want to give any of you tight arses a heart attack hahaha.
    Last edited by whiteminx; 06-04-2010 at 11:45 PM.
    12.9@108mph with stock turbo & street tyres bitches :P

I LOVE HATERS - They Keep Me Motivated

Its not so much a worry for a pull over and check defect.. is more when you have an accident and your insurance company doesn't want to pay out.. Illegal fitment = no payout.
    Me thinks better to be safe than sorry.

There is a difference to what FITS and what is LEGAL, I think in this instance both need to be known, At the end of the day people need to know the facts and make up their own mind.

You dont meet the rules then be prepared to pay the price...

*edit*
    Just want to add, there are no issues in sharing what works and what doesn't. Its great to know and thank you for your input. I just think that if you are sharing that information you should let members know that it is potentially illegal without engineering - Rather than them taking it as gospel.
    Last edited by Jmac; 07-04-2010 at 12:30 AM.
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-