User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WIIIDE wheels

1. Default WIIIDE wheels

Hi,

I was originally looking at getting some RX8 18x8 wheels for my Mazda3 but I'm like to know if a set of 18x8.5 wheels with a +50 offset would fit, i.e. would they sit inside the guards, and would there be any fouling on suspension components. The wheels don't have tyres so I can't check if the tyres would scrub.

Has anyone fit anything wider than 8"?

btw, I plan on using 235/40/18 tyres and my car is NOT lowered.

Cheers,
    Rick.
    Last edited by Mazda3; 08-01-2010 at 09:54 PM. Reason: added car type

Is it Gen 1 or 2?

Gen 1 I would doubt you could get 8.5" in...Gen 2 maybe.

You could fit 8.5" definately, with +45 offset, probably not with +50 without scrubbing on the inside. If you really wanted the wheels, on the front, you could fit a 3 to 5mm spacer, on the back, I'm 99% sure they would go straight on.

Go 18 x 9 DO IT!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    You could fit 8.5" definately, with +45 offset, probably not with +50 without scrubbing on the inside. If you really wanted the wheels, on the front, you could fit a 3 to 5mm spacer, on the back, I'm 99% sure they would go straight on.
    That's not legal though? Spacers outlawed on registered vehicles last I checked...

Quote Originally Posted by Mazda3 View Post
    Hi,

I was originally looking at getting some RX8 18x8 wheels for my Mazda3 but I'm like to know if a set of 18x8.5 wheels with a +50 offset would fit, i.e. would they sit inside the guards, and would there be any fouling on suspension components. The wheels don't have tyres so I can't check if the tyres would scrub.

Has anyone fit anything wider than 8"?

btw, I plan on using 235/40/18 tyres and my car is NOT lowered.

Cheers,
    Rick.
    You should be fine m8 PM "You Lose" im sure he is running 235/245 on his mazda 3 mps 2008 and its dumped on its ass
    "THE PATH OF THE GTI-R IS BESET WITH PERIL BY THE INJUSTICES OF THE SPEED CAMERA AND THE TYRANNY OF OTHER DRIVERS. BLESSED IS HE WHO OVERTAKES THE EVO & STI THROUGH THE VALLEY OF HAIRPIN TURNS, FOR HE IS TRULY HIS CAR'S TUNER AND THE FINDER OF LOST HORSEPOWER. . . AND WE SHALT STRIKE DOWN WITH GREAT BOOST AND FURIOUS ACCELERATION ON WHOEVER DOTH ATTEMPT TO OBSTRUCT OR DELAY OUR OVERTAKING. . .
    BMW M3 Evo Coming to the R stable soon. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
    That's not legal though? Spacers outlawed on registered vehicles last I checked...
    I was only saying if he really wanted the wheels, he could run spacers, although yes, they are illegal.

But who's car is modified and 100% legal?

BOVs vented to atmo, aftermarket systems with only 1 cat, SRI fitted, etc. Hell, even fitting an aftermarket boost controller is illegal.

As soon as you modify your car from std, it can be regarded as illegal because it doesn't meet the ADR that it was designed to meet.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

8. Default

Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback so far. Just a few replies to the above posts:
    - It's a gen1.
    - I'd rather not use spacers.
    - I've PM'd You Lose - he has 245/35/18 on 18x8 wheels. Offset???
    - I've also PM'd teedee - running 19x8.5!!! Just need to find out offset and tyre size.

For those who have RX8 18x8 wheels with 225/235 tyres, how much clearance do you have on the inside/suspension and outside/guard? (This will give me an idea since RX8 wheels are the same offset as what I'm looking at)
    Or anyone else that has 245s, how much clearance do you have?

Cheers,
    Rick.

Well PM him back (YOU LOSE) Col should know what offset he is running. . .

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by LILZLR View Post
    Well PM him back (YOU LOSE) Col should know what offset he is running. . .
    I saw Col's MPS in Member's Rides and saw that he had 18x8 with 245s, so I PM'd him to ask about his offset and clearances. Hope to get a reply soon - although you were pretty fast on the reply

lol you wont me to just give the man a quick call and ask him ? ? ?

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by LILZLR View Post
    lol you wont me to just give the man a quick call and ask him ? ? ?
    That would be handy! And much appreciated! Hope the answer is all good!!!

Since I was going to fit 235/40/18s to 18x8.5 +50 wheels, I'm trying to figure out if there will be enough clearance on the inside/suspension and outside/guard. Col's 245's are 10mm wider than my 235s, but the 8.5" wide wheels are 12.7mm wider than his 8" wide wheels. On each side of the centre line, it's only half of these measurements, i.e. 5mm vs 6.4mm (so less than 1.5mm extra). So I wonder if these would cancel each other out or not, meaning since his fit then so would my combination --- but all dependent on his offset and clearances!

Cheers,
    Rick.

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    I was only saying if he really wanted the wheels, he could run spacers, although yes, they are illegal.

But who's car is modified and 100% legal?

BOVs vented to atmo, aftermarket systems with only 1 cat, SRI fitted, etc. Hell, even fitting an aftermarket boost controller is illegal.

As soon as you modify your car from std, it can be regarded as illegal because it doesn't meet the ADR that it was designed to meet.
    Exactly. You could do 1 mod and be unlucky enough to get done. Or you could do 20 mods and never get done. It's part luck and the rest is trying not to draw attention to yourself....love the twin exhaust BTW
    Turbosmart SU BPV // MZR Performance Intake // Medieval Inlet pipe // Medieval rear engine mount // RKM shifter Bushings // SLS Racepipe // Eyelids

Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback so far. Just a few replies to the above posts:
    - It's a gen1.
    - I'd rather not use spacers.
    - I've PM'd You Lose - he has 245/35/18 on 18x8 wheels. Offset???
    - I've also PM'd teedee - running 19x8.5!!! Just need to find out offset and tyre size.

For those who have RX8 18x8 wheels with 225/235 tyres, how much clearance do you have on the inside/suspension and outside/guard? (This will give me an idea since RX8 wheels are the same offset as what I'm looking at)
    Or anyone else that has 245s, how much clearance do you have?

Cheers,
    Rick.
    Most likely offset will be around +45 to +48 .

I think whiteminx is running 18x8 +35

If all else fails, get onto google and search for an offset calculator, that will give you a rough idea on clearance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Road Laino View Post
    I'm never drinking again

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 2000MNLESS View Post
    Most likely offset will be around +45 to +48 .

I think whiteminx is running 18x8 +35

If all else fails, get onto google and search for an offset calculator, that will give you a rough idea on clearance.
    Yep, it's 18x8 +35 with 235/40s --- rubs with a person in the back or going over a massive bump but mostly fine. Strange, I thought any 8"+ wheel and less than +45 would scrub badly.

I'm looking at 8.5" wide and was hoping to find someone with a similar setup, although RX8 wheels would be a good comparison. The offset calculators are good in theory, but I was hoping to get some real-world cases to help me decide.

Just waiting to hear back from teedee and Col (I think Michael was going to phone him). Hopefully by this afternoon - if that's not asking too much I should get back to work

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DISIMS3 View Post
    Exactly. You could do 1 mod and be unlucky enough to get done. Or you could do 20 mods and never get done. It's part luck and the rest is trying not to draw attention to yourself....
    This is categorically untrue. This is specifically why the scope and limitations on how one may modify your vehicle are laid out by your states transport authority.

I intend to and am following the QLD code to the letter as I apply mods to my vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
    This is categorically untrue. This is specifically why the scope and limitations on how one may modify your vehicle are laid out by your states transport authority.

I intend to and am following the QLD code to the letter as I apply mods to my vehicle.

Thats a good idea when living where you do....as the cops love us car fanatics up there

18. Default

Hi Mate,

Give me a call when you know what offset you want , we re keen to try more styles / fitments on an MPS

19. Default

maybe they will let you go around there and try different combos

20. Default

Yep, it's 18x8 +35 with 235/40s --- rubs with a person in the back or going over a massive bump but mostly fine. Strange, I thought any 8"+ wheel and less than +45 would scrub badly.

I'm looking at 8.5" wide and was hoping to find someone with a similar setup, although RX8 wheels would be a good comparison. The offset calculators are good in theory, but I was hoping to get some real-world cases to help me decide.

Just waiting to hear back from teedee and Col (I think Michael was going to phone him). Hopefully by this afternoon - if that's not asking too much I should get back to work

So do we have a consensus on whether 18x8.5" +50 with 235/40s will fit? Haven't received any PMs re:above. Nor any more input on RX8-wheel owners __fingers crossed__

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast