User Tag List

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Best tyres for 3MPS's

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mps jim View Post
    Hi guys.
    I went to my local Bridgestone dealer for a quote on the Adrenalins and he refused to fit them as they don't come in 215/45/18, he said you car is not road worthy so if you have a accident the insureance company may not pay up.
    Some of the southern states are starting to enforce new mod laws????
    I think you may be supposed to get a mod plate engineering certification for any alternative tyre fitment.

QLD might be going the same direction.
    Haven't seen any confirmation of that yet.

We can thank all the people who fit tyres without proper regard for the guidelines for that. Unfortunately, there's quite a lot.
    Last edited by Nexus; 24-12-2008 at 08:39 AM.

2. Default

Hi guys.
    I went to my local Bridgestone dealer for a quote on the Adrenalins and he refused to fit them as they don't come in 215/45/18, he said you car is not road worthy so if you have a accident the insureance company may not pay up.

Do u mean the tyre shop would not let you put 225/40 (45?) on your standard MPS rims. Is that beause they are 7" wide or because the car comes standard with 215/45's ??

3. Default

Thats right, theres no 215, which is why my Bridgestone service centre said go the 225/40's. The Wynnum Bridgestone said nothing about insurance, and he also said he'd done quite a few Maz 3 MPS's with these.

I doubt your insurance co will be looking at tire size. They are more than likely just to check the load / speed rating of the tires only. The physical size surely wouldnt matter unless its outside of the wheel arches and/or clashing with the body work, or has no tread..

Also, i've never heard of an insurance co not paying up over tire size...
    Last edited by Wardski; 24-12-2008 at 08:57 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    Do u mean the tyre shop would not let you put 225/40 (45?) on your standard MPS rims. Is that beause they are 7" wide or because the car comes standard with 215/45's ??
    If they aren't putting the kibosh on alternative fitments (need a mod plate), then it would likely be because of the 225/40 on 7" issue.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
    If they aren't putting the kibosh on alternative fitments (need a mod plate), then it would likely be because of the 225/40 on 7" issue.
    If this is the case, then I reckon around 75% of the population are in trouble. Most people opt for a wider tire on the 1st change. I know I did, and the Bridgestone Service centre I went to had no issues with it (infact they recommended the 225/40 on the 7" standard MPS rim)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wardski View Post
    If this is the case, then I reckon around 75% of the population are in trouble. Most people opt for a wider tire on the 1st change. I know I did, and the Bridgestone Service centre I went to had no issues with it (infact they recommended the 225/40 on the 7" standard MPS rim)
    There's nothing to say they're doing this in QLD yet, but I have had one service agent suggest it's coming, and another say they've been expecting it.

That was my comment too. Anyone with an aftermarket wheel would immediately be unroadworthy under the supposed new rules until they get an engineering check done and a mod plate fitted (probably specifying tyre size also)

I have my doubts it will happen in the short term, as so many owners would be outside the rules with fitments that didn't have a problem under the previous rules.

I've heard the legislation is there down south, but I've also heard that it isn't being enforced. If it happenns it will probably be part of the national road rules push.

I support the idea, although it will be a pain in the bum if it affects me as I'll have new rims fitted in two to three weeks (they landed this morning - yay). Thing is there's a lot of people who've fitted rims and/or tyres that are really marginal and although it's nitpicking, probably shouldn't have them fitted. To top it off, a lot of service agents don't do every single check, and rely on a generic table of fitments that seems to be misleading for the 225/40R18 size.

By putting an engineering requirement in, that responsibility is passed to the engineering inspector and not the owners (or lazy service agents) who can be expected to stretch the rules when it suits them.
    Last edited by Nexus; 24-12-2008 at 01:30 PM.

Bridgestone says a 225 is legal and roadworthy on a 7" rim in Queensland, so Bridgstone dealers shouldn't refuse to fit them, if not sure they should check with the tyre manufacturer and of course state laws.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zippymps3 View Post
    Bridgestone says a 225 is legal and roadworthy on a 7" rim in Queensland, so Bridgstone dealers shouldn't refuse to fit them, if not sure they should check with the tyre manufacturer and of course state laws.
    The issue is 40 vs 45 profile, not the 225 width. 45 profile OK, 40 not (For most manufacturers) needs to be checked on an individual basis. If 225/40R18 on 18x7 is OK'd by the manufacturer...no worries, but not many are. I've seen three. Federal SS595, a BF Goodrich, and one other that I can't recall.

The federals are a good example - of the published specs for three different types of SS595 - standard, EVO, and RS, only the standard SS595 is OK'd for 225/40R18 on 18x7

Hi.
    The local bridgestone Dealer I went to, got his bible out , and that's when he said he would not fit 225/40/18 and his words were the car would not be roadworthy.
    I am not saying he right or wrong just quoting what he said, on the other hand it could have been he wanted me to buy the 050a 215/45/18 @ $430 each.

Blog Entries

Hi.
    The local bridgestone Dealer I went to, got his bible out , and that's when he said he would not fit 225/40/18 and his words were the car would not be roadworthy.
    Three cheers for service agents who do their job properly.

can sum1 here giv me an idea of the best bang 4 buck tyre? sorry for being lazy loll

Quote Originally Posted by em-pe-es View Post
    can sum1 here giv me an idea of the best bang 4 buck tyre? sorry for being lazy loll
    Toyo Proxes4 or Falken ZE-912.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by em-pe-es View Post
    I'm really happy with Sumitomo HTRZ-III in 225/45R18, but haven't done any close comparison - comparable to the OEM bridgestones IMO. I've nothing bad to say about them and the price is excellent - you may be able to pick up under $250 ea.

There is a lower cost HTRZ-II as well, they're directional not asymettric, probably would notice some handling differences with them. Bang for buck might not be as good as the III.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardski View Post
    Well, after dabbling a bit in a whole range of tyres (from 20's to 18's) I cant say enough about my new set of Bridgestone Adrenalins. I went with the 225/40/18's and they are unbelivably noise free and grippy!
    how many k's you get out of them

I've recently put Kumho KU-36s on, and they are awesome tyres...

It's a relatively cheap road-worthy race tyre...grippy as...might not last too long, but they are great in wet and dry...

i use rt 615's in my xr5

great dry grip but they can overheat quickly.

ive compared these on the same day to the adrenalins and they shame them

Quote Originally Posted by noetzy View Post
    I've recently put Kumho KU-36s on, and they are awesome tyres...

It's a relatively cheap road-worthy race tyre...grippy as...might not last too long, but they are great in wet and dry...
    I second that. The semi-slicks 235/40/18 rock..... feel very similar to the conti's, but without the $500+ price sticker.....

ACT guys, Bob Jane Belco, Eddie is the man.... KU36 Semi Slick 235/40/18 $290

I have never heard of this stuff before. I told my insurance about my tyres and was told they must be legal (size and load) so I checked vicroads.

I have 245 30 zr20

Am going to put 225 35 20 when i can find one load rated to suit.

The XR5 forums have a few guys that put 20" wheels on only to find that they had put tyres on that are not load rated sufficiently for the car...... Most had to ditch the wheels or drive around in an insurance void time bomb....

Don't just take the word of the wheels & tyre place, cause others experiences show that many of them simply don't care....

As a general rule... 25mm wider and 25mm larger diameter..... however, remember that 2" is actually 26mm and therefore unroadworthy

I was quite paticular about load rating because our other car had wheels and tyres from the twits at ttf and they didn't check or care when i complained.

I only went there because it was cheap- would advise others to only go there for price match purposes.

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast