User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Coilover options ?

Quote Originally Posted by mpsgarage View Post
    The BC's spring rates would be with whom you brought them from.
    The kits we sell have been set up for Australia & has it has taken some time in the set up, we wouldn't give this away on the net.
    As for the BC's you can buy on Ebay from NZ & other OS locations they are the Taiwan set up with the old springs & valving. There for the price will always look better then ours.
    Knowing the spring rates is a fundamental requirement for someone trying to make an informed purchase decision. Are you able to divulge this information privately?

Gone to Volvo

Another question is , how hard is it to adjust the rear shocks ? When i was at Pedders yesterday they recommended an extension to make rear adjustment easier ($30 extra),
    does anyone else offer this option ?
    Todd

There is discussion of the BC extenders on a US forum. They concluded that they wouldn't work but if you have small enough hands you could reach the adjusting knob in situ.

4. Default

You can reach it fairly easy, if you know where it is,
    You might what to look at the racing forums about the pedders, before you pick a product.

I have Cusco Comp S's and their awesomeeeeeee!

Quote Originally Posted by whiteminx View Post
    I have Cusco Comp S's and their awesomeeeeeee!
    Tell us more, where did you get them, how much, did you install them yourself?

Gone to Volvo

Yep i've pretty much ruled out Pedders, although convenient for me i still haven't heard anything positive about them.
    Also Tein are unfortunantly out cause the budget prob wont stretch that far.
    So at the moment it's out of K-sport and B.C , also i still need to find a good suspension shop to fit them

Not trying to undermine Troy's advice, but I did some reading on the K-sports and every forum I went to had bad things to say about them. A few guys reported failures within 3 months of fitting and the manufacturers support was not good. Better check it out before deciding.

Quote Originally Posted by 12Lead View Post
    Yep i've pretty much ruled out Pedders, although convenient for me i still haven't heard anything positive about them.
    Also Tein are unfortunantly out cause the budget prob wont stretch that far.
    So at the moment it's out of K-sport and B.C , also i still need to find a good suspension shop to fit them
    If I was you I would wait save up some more and go for the Teins
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    Not trying to undermine Troy's advice, but I did some reading on the K-sports and every forum I went to had bad things to say about them. A few guys reported failures within 3 months of fitting and the manufacturers support was not good. Better check it out before deciding.

Interesting to hear that. Thanks. All the bad info I could find was for the chinese stuff and Pedders.

I know the company where I purchased them from and they offer great before and after sales service. I will keep this in mind and report back if anything goes wrong. *fingers crossed*
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Here's hoping they revised the design and/or their QC to improve reliability.

I have the Tein SS on my MPS6 and they have been great. In fact, mine was Fulcrum's test car for the MPS6. In terms of adjustment, its not something I change at all. Certainly not ride height, but it did give me the ability to pick my ride height (though I am at the borderline of needing a helper/tender spring I think). I wanted lots of travel (incl droop) and they were able to get that into the setup. With the rear motion ratio of about 2:1, the rear springs are actually 12kg, but give you an effective 6kg so bear that in mind when comparing. Damper adjustment (only single adjuster) is not too bad but you do need to jack up the rear do get at it. I've also re-set the rake of the car at standstill, and it seems to work quite well. For a twin-tube, it works reasonably well and handles heat better than say a Koni yellow, but that is probably due to a bigger bore.

All in all, a very comfortable ride even though the car is much more stiffly sprung. More comfortable in ride compared to stock, handles much better than stock too.

13. Default

Whats wrong with pedders?
    I'm currently on some Pedders Springs and i've got Koni FSD's ready to go into the car and mate with the red pedders springs

Any opinions about whether i should go through with this.. or should i get new springs?

You're probably safe with those springs if they are in the car and the height is correct etc.

Anything more complicated than springs might be a problem though. I once trialled a rose-jointed adjustable sway bar they had make. I rang their development person in Melbourne from the pits at Eastern creek and told him it didn't work. I was saddened to find that I had to give him the formula for calculating sway bar stiffness because he didn't know it. No wonder it didn't work.

Pedders tend to make parts that fit, not parts that are engineered to perform.

I've got more stories like that, including one where we were nearly killed when their handiwork fell apart and another where I had the threaten to call the police to get my car back after they refused to let me have it because the steering rack was unsafe and needed to be replaced. Little did they know the steering rack was only one day old I was too well informed to fall for their scam.

Gone to Volvo

Dark Authority - just check what the range of operation the Koni FSD is for. The bits you need to match are the valving of the shock/damper (bump/rebound - fast and slow) to the spring. They will normally valve them in a way that gives you a bit of range in terms of what spring you can use, and they have some idea of the std spring and aftermarket springs. Another thing to watch is stroke or length. If you have a shock that is designed for std height springs, then chuck in 30mm lowered springs, you are effectively using a different and only a small part of the stroke of the shock.

I have Bilstein shocks on an MX5, and teamed with Eibach springs I ended up revalving with a lot more fast rebound and a bit more bump, but also had to shorten the shock bodies to cope better with the lowered spring.

Mind you, drive on anything for 50Kkms and stick anything new in will result in it feeling better.

I have heard somewhere that some of the top end Peddars gear is made by DMS. But I have also seen rebadged Monroes at the lower end.

Quote Originally Posted by ted View Post
    I have the Tein SS on my MPS6 and they have been great. In fact, mine was Fulcrum's test car for the MPS6. In terms of adjustment, its not something I change at all. Certainly not ride height, but it did give me the ability to pick my ride height (though I am at the borderline of needing a helper/tender spring I think). I wanted lots of travel (incl droop) and they were able to get that into the setup. With the rear motion ratio of about 2:1, the rear springs are actually 12kg, but give you an effective 6kg so bear that in mind when comparing. Damper adjustment (only single adjuster) is not too bad but you do need to jack up the rear do get at it. I've also re-set the rake of the car at standstill, and it seems to work quite well. For a twin-tube, it works reasonably well and handles heat better than say a Koni yellow, but that is probably due to a bigger bore.

All in all, a very comfortable ride even though the car is much more stiffly sprung. More comfortable in ride compared to stock, handles much better than stock too.
    Thanks for the info Ted, the main reason i'm curious about ease of adjustment is i plan on doing some track days and like the idea of running them on a softer setting most of the time then bumping it up when i want to hit the track
    As for the ride height, thats a set and forget except i plan on changing wheels early next year so will probably readjust them to suit.
    Cheers Todd

17. Default

I have Tein SS too and I hardly make any adjustments whatsoever. The height adjustment is difficult on the rears and mine are set to as low as it can go. Damper adjustment on the rear is difficult to reach too as I have large hands.

The ride and flatness through cornering is better than stock but beware, the front undertray on the 6 will rub almost everything when lowered. I'm shaving mine off slowly each time I go up and down kerbs.

My Pedders coilovers are in and I know its early days but there so good, makes conering way better faster and safer, so so easy to adjust stifness and ride hight, currently have them set on full stiff and loving it, I just need to get my guards rolled lol, will let you all know if they crap out

Quote Originally Posted by pockets View Post
    My Pedders coilovers are in and I know its early days but there so good, makes conering way better faster and safer, so so easy to adjust stifness and ride hight, currently have them set on full stiff and loving it, I just need to get my guards rolled lol, will let you all know if they crap out
    Very interested on further reports.. keep them comming

yeah will let everyone know

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast