User Tag List

Thread: Changing just 2 tyres?

Default Changing just 2 tyres?

HI all, I may need some advice regarding a tyre change. Currently running on a set of Kumho KU31's (225/45/18's) which is less that 2 years old, have done roughly 20K's on them, and IMO, still have some life in them. Unfortunately got a flat on the back right-hand side tyre, and somehow manage to damage the side wall which has rendered the tyre un-repairable.

I would like to just buy just one new pair of tyres (and since KU31's have been discontinued, I have to look at something else, possibly Yokohama's?), but the tyre company I deal with strongly recommends that I change all 4, as it may cause issues with the diff, seeing that 6MPS's are AWD cars. Is there any truth in that, or is he just being a salesperson and trying to sell more more tyres? Can I get away with my original plan of just buying a pair of new tyres, sticking it in the front, and putting my older KU31's in the back, without messing my 6 up too much?

Thanks in advance for any of your advice/response..

Sadly this is one time the salesman is right...

If you don't have similar rolling diameter on all 4 tires you risk damaging the drivetrain, it'll almost certainly trip the AWD light...

Aaah, damnit...ok then, thanks for your advice!

then just get another brand or model that has the same measurement as your old ku31? no need 4 new tyres in this way..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

You would have to find a NEW set which have the same diameter as the OLD (worn) ku31 though, which you would need to measure. You would then run into the same problem when the ku31s run out and you need another 2 new ones. You could just buy 4 new and save the kuhmos as a spare if you get another flat in 15-20ks.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk