User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Spacers

  1. #1
    jnin is offline Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    270

    Default Spacers

    Hi guys. Now with the stock rims on the car it looks very stock... :-) Whats the maximum size spacer that I can use on the car to make the wheels stick out a bit?

  2. #2
    Lachlan's Avatar
    Lachlan is offline FWD: enthusiasm>aptitude
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,289

    Default

    http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...ng-you-101473/

    But

    I don't think any spacers are legal in australia. I think you would be better (and happier) getting new, wider, lower offset rims over DIYing it with spacers and risking breaking studs. Just my opinion though

  3. #3
    jnin is offline Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Thanks buddy
    I didn't know they are illegal...I just got the stock wheels now so I am not planning of replacing them in the near future.
    I had spacers in my other car with no dramas...
    Thanks for the advice though

  4. #4
    zacman's Avatar
    zacman is offline Forum Addict
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jnin View Post
    Thanks buddy
    I didn't know they are illegal...I just got the stock wheels now so I am not planning of replacing them in the near future.
    I had spacers in my other car with no dramas...
    Thanks for the advice though
    No forms of spacer are legal for road use in Australia. As a result, they also will void your insurance if you're at fault in an accident because your car will be considered "unroadworthy".

  5. #5
    jnin is offline Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Thats slack!

  6. #6
    Lachlan's Avatar
    Lachlan is offline FWD: enthusiasm>aptitude
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,289

    Default

    Not really. Mate of mine lost a rear wheel on his hsv clubby on the highway when the studs sheared off (rolled right past him at 110kph). I'd put money in it being the spacers he was running caused excess stress and eventually something gave way!

  7. #7
    skeetskeet is offline Forum Addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    511

    Default

    but in theory if you got longer nuts .. could work?

  8. #8
    jnin is offline Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    270

    Default

    That's not good Lachlan. I ve got spacers on my 323 for years now with no issues and that car produces 330bhp...Maybe your friends were not good quality or something?
    I am thinking of getting something like that AF Racing Mitsubishi EVO V X 5x114 3 67 1mm HUB Centric 15mm Wheel Spacer | eBay which the spacer bolts on the hub and then the spacer bolts on to the wheel

  9. #9
    1CMS1 is offline ME1U0
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Age
    30
    Posts
    554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jnin View Post
    That's not good Lachlan. I ve got spacers on my 323 for years now with no issues and that car produces 330bhp...Maybe your friends were not good quality or something?
    I am thinking of getting something like that AF Racing Mitsubishi EVO V X 5x114 3 67 1mm HUB Centric 15mm Wheel Spacer | eBay which the spacer bolts on the hub and then the spacer bolts on to the wheel
    I use these on my stock wheels at the back currently, Gibba has a set also

  10. #10
    jnin is offline Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1CMS1 View Post
    I use these on my stock wheels at the back currently, Gibba has a set also
    The AF ones?
    As daily driver? Will it be too much to put them at the front as well?
    They are illegal...I asked the seller
    Last edited by jnin; 26-09-2014 at 05:01 PM.

  11. #11
    1CMS1 is offline ME1U0
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Age
    30
    Posts
    554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jnin View Post
    The AF ones?
    As daily driver? Will it be too much to put them at the front as well?
    Yip the AF ones and as a daily. I originally put them on the front as well but it looked stupid at stock suspension height so I sold them haha. If you lowered then it would be fine.

  12. #12
    jnin is offline Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1CMS1 View Post
    Yip the AF ones and as a daily. I originally put them on the front as well but it looked stupid at stock suspension height so I sold them haha. If you lowered then it would be fine.
    Yes I will lower it...WHEN and IF edgeautosport sends the bilstein... :-p
    Did you put 15mm or 20mm?

  13. #13
    Lachlan's Avatar
    Lachlan is offline FWD: enthusiasm>aptitude
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skeetskeet View Post
    but in theory if you got longer nuts .. could work?
    Just grab 'em and stretch 'em? Ha ha

    Quote Originally Posted by jnin View Post
    That's not good Lachlan. I ve got spacers on my 323 for years now with no issues and that car produces 330bhp...Maybe your friends were not good quality or something?
    I am thinking of getting something like that AF Racing Mitsubishi EVO V X 5x114 3 67 1mm HUB Centric 15mm Wheel Spacer | eBay which the spacer bolts on the hub and then the spacer bolts on to the wheel
    Maybe they weren't proper hub-centric ones or something. Not sure. The ones with replacement bolts are probably much better (you wouldn't want to loose 20mm of thread from the stock bolts), but you are still paying $100 for something that at best adds unsprung mass, renders your car unroadworthy, and only makes a very minimal visual change. There is a reason they are illegal.
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

  14. #14
    1CMS1 is offline ME1U0
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Age
    30
    Posts
    554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jnin View Post
    Yes I will lower it...WHEN and IF edgeautosport sends the bilstein... :-p
    Did you put 15mm or 20mm?
    I have 15mm ones, depending on your tyre a car you MAY need the rear guards rolled. Mine just scraped with 225/45/18 tyres on a gen 1 3, my guards are rolled now in preparation for coilovers and new wheels

  15. #15
    jnin is offline Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    270

    Default

    1CMS1 I ve got stock wheels and tyres...The 19" were very heavy for the car and had impact on acceleration. Do you have any pictures from your car with the spacers?

    To be honest Lachlan the only thing that makes me think about it is that they make the car road unworthy...I believe it gives a bit more aggressive stance to the car and fills that gap between wheel and guard

  16. #16
    jnin is offline Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Lachlan they do look very nice with stock wheels on the MPS6 I put them on today and when I lower it it will look even better! :-)
    As for the roadworthingness I am already a defect as I have an SRI and maybe because of the FMIC as I ve read on another group that someone got defect as one of the reasons was because he didn't have the stock intercooler?!?!
    Cheez in NSW...I am thinking of buying the badgeless front grill. Is that legal or I will get defect for that too?!?

  17. #17
    Lachlan's Avatar
    Lachlan is offline FWD: enthusiasm>aptitude
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jnin View Post
    Lachlan they do look very nice with stock wheels on the MPS6 I put them on today and when I lower it it will look even better! :-)
    As for the roadworthingness I am already a defect as I have an SRI and maybe because of the FMIC as I ve read on another group that someone got defect as one of the reasons was because he didn't have the stock intercooler?!?!
    Cheez in NSW...I am thinking of buying the badgeless front grill. Is that legal or I will get defect for that too?!?
    Lol. Yeah, making shit 'legal' is a b**ch (oh, and SRI is actually fine if you have a box btw). Glad you're happy with the spacers though.
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

  18. #18
    jnin is offline Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    270

    Default

    I dont have a box...whats the point having a box with an sri or cai? You might keep it stock and use a better filter
    its all about the money mate so they can book us for everything to keep their bellys happy

  19. #19
    Lachlan's Avatar
    Lachlan is offline FWD: enthusiasm>aptitude
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,289

    Default

    SRI boxes are good. You get all the benefits of an SRI (smoother flow, huge filter area) plus you still get lower intake temps rather than sucking in hot air from the engine! But I agree, some of the regulations are just silly.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •