User Tag List

Thread: 07 Mazda 6 MPS 20inch Wheels?

1. Lightbulb 07 Mazda 6 MPS 20inch Wheels?

Hi there,
    interested in getting 20 inch wheels for Mazda 6 mps and have been notified that 20x7.5 with an offset of 45 will work only thing is that all the wheels I want are in 20x8.5 will these work too? Can anyone help me with any ideas on how to make it work. Also what tyres would you run 225/35/20 or could you go a wider tyre. Don't want to affect the speedo to much suggestions would help.

Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

If anything, wheels that size will make your speedo closer to accurate

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    If anything, wheels that size will make your speedo closer to accurate
    That will ultimately depend on the tyre size. I just went from 18's to 20's and I had two tyre sizes in mind. I chose the one that corrected my speedo. The other size would have made it worse.
    CX7 - The younger, taller and sexier replacement for the MPS6 and the first car designed around the MZR DISI
    2007 CX7 2.3 DISI AWD Ice Blue | HID's | ETS TMIC | Cobb XLE BOV | CX9 20" wheels | 245/50/20 Scorpion STR's | CS HPFP | CX9 Brakes | Pedders Sports Ryders -40mm | CS Turbo | JBR 3.5" WPI | Cooling Mist WMI |Versatune

6. Default

Thanks guys the tyre rim calculator really helps, all new to me this stuff but really helpful.
    regards.

Also, it's illegal to fit rims that are more than 1" wider than stock for use on public roads... Etc etc... Blah blah...

These will help too.

Wheel-size.com :: Reference guide for car wheel and tire dimensions such as size, offset, PCD

Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit

Use the first link to find your original tyre size and wheel size, also check the vehicle placard and if possible read it off the rim.

The second one is useful for comparing tyre sizes and their effect on diameter and speedo. I also use excel spreadsheets for this. You have to know how far your speedo is out with standard tyres before you try correcting.

The 1" referred ^^ is the change in track width. So your wheel offset can only change by 12.5mm before you run foul of that restriction. You are allowed to go 30% wider on the tyre as long as you can fit the rim and tyre under the guard.

You are allowed to go 15mm greater diameter and 25mm smaller diameter. Usually going up in diameter corrects an over reading speedo. i.e. says 100 when you are really doing 96.
    CX7 - The younger, taller and sexier replacement for the MPS6 and the first car designed around the MZR DISI
    2007 CX7 2.3 DISI AWD Ice Blue | HID's | ETS TMIC | Cobb XLE BOV | CX9 20" wheels | 245/50/20 Scorpion STR's | CS HPFP | CX9 Brakes | Pedders Sports Ryders -40mm | CS Turbo | JBR 3.5" WPI | Cooling Mist WMI |Versatune

9. Default

Cool got things sorted out today really am thankfully to you all for your comments!
    got some gun tyres to fit on 20's too at a good price k1 pss will post on how they handle once on.

Does anyone know what gain you will get with a cpe 3" dual exhaust cat back on mps 6?

What profile did you go with?

And from a CBE...probably nothing

11. Default

Went with 245/35/20 on 20x7.5 got guarantee they won't rub and won't need to roll the guards. Will set speedo out by 2 but that should even things out from stock anyway.

Default 07 Mazda 6 MPS 20inch Wheels?

Speedo should be ok, but 245 ain't legal on a 7.5 rim. You would want 8" or probably 8.5 for that to fit properly, or go with a 225/35 tire. I ran 235 on a 7.5 for a bit (till I got defected) and it was slightly bulging.

Default 07 Mazda 6 MPS 20inch Wheels?

CX9 comes stock with 245/50/20 on the 7.5" rims. That's what I am running now on my CX7. 245 is the upper limit. Maybe it becomes more of an issue as the profile decreases below 50. I have read the vehicle modification codes and can't recall seeing any legal problems with tyre/rim selection. If you go too far they might get you on the general unsafe to drive clause. Also CX7 runs 235/60/18 on 7.5" rims. Again the profile is taller.

You might be right on the profile thing. Looking on the tirerack at the PSS, 245/45/20 is ok on 7.5, but 245/35/20 requires a minimum of 8"
    The Hankook rs3s I have were needed 8" for 235/40/18.

Legally, you have to abide by the manufacturer max/min specs. You can fit anything you want and it may or may not work, but if it ever gets checked it will fail. This is what happened to me for my engendering cert -they said the 235 on 7.5 looked OK, but because it was outside of the manufacturer specs it couldn't pass.

If you are in a crash with illegal tyres, your insurance could probably be made void, plus potentially dangerous driving bla bla bla, same as if they were bald.
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

CPE (or any brand really) cat back exhaust will give about 10dB and SFA (sweet f*** all) power.
    The only restriction in the exhaust is the T piece and it's only minor.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    You might be right on the profile thing. Looking on the tirerack at the PSS, 245/45/20 is ok on 7.5, but 245/35/20 requires a minimum of 8"
    The Hankook rs3s I have were needed 8" for 235/40/18.

Legally, you have to abide by the manufacturer max/min specs. You can fit anything you want and it may or may not work, but if it ever gets checked it will fail. This is what happened to me for my engendering cert -they said the 235 on 7.5 looked OK, but because it was outside of the manufacturer specs it couldn't pass.

If you are in a crash with illegal tyres, your insurance could probably be made void, plus potentially dangerous driving bla bla bla, same as if they were bald.
    Here is a guide I found when I was researching my wheel size increase. In general you need wider rims for lower profiles if the same width.

http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/in...lity_Guide.pdf

I agree completely you have to abide by manufacturers limits to stay legal and protect your insurance policy.

Nice find @ozynigma
    Confirms it also, 245/35/20 needs 8" minimum @JafDee

18. Default

Yeah there ain't many good tyres in the 225 that's all. Will see how we go for now.

That's why people don't usually run 20" rims. Unless you go super wide, it's just for show not performance and thus there aren't good tyres. Good luck anyway