User Tag List

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: How to Handle Handling?

Quote Originally Posted by GibbA View Post
    So it's been a little while, and I finally got around to checking tyre pressures tonight to start and set different ones and feel the differences.

Funny thing is, these were the pressures in the tyres already!!!

Front L&R: 38psi
    Rear L&R: 48psi!!!! :O

So I set the front at 35psi and the rear at 40 and seems ok so far.
    Car seems to rotate well in the corners, but i'll have to drive on these settings for a while to get the feel of it, then change and see if it makes things worse or better.

I can say though, even on the stiff setting on the rear sway bar, I really haven't been getting any oversteer to speak of, still just understeer if there's too much speed in the corner.
    This goes for too fast of an entry speed, turning the wheels too sharp too fast (Expect understeer here anyway though), as well as accelerating too much during the corner.
    It has reduced the understeer somewhat, but definitely not "induced" oversteer like i've heard some people say.
    @GibbA change your rear tyre pressure run with 30/32psi in the rear, slight accelerating in the corner will bring your rear into check.. lift off in a corner will see the rear step out.. I have found into the corner at set speed just enough gas to keep current speed if it starts to understeer lift off the back will step out, once this happens I find it correct the front than don't correct with steering JUST power again .. Same as a drifter would do... You need a track day or a big paddock and a couple of shitty cars
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Further update,

Again lowered the rear tyre pressure (slightly) and have started to get a bit of lift off oversteer. First few times it felt EXTREMELY odd, being something that i'd never experienced, oversteer when no power was applied, which is corrected by applying power!!
    Getting the hang of it a little more, but upon applying power and straightening out again, the rear of the car feels very washy, or not firm in its transition from oversteer to normal traction. It feels as if this is due to sidewall flex (me having quite a large side wall with my 245/45/17 tyres).
    Going to raise the pressure in the rear again, but leave the front to see if it has a more "firm" feel when sliding rather than a washy one.

Another issue i've found is the car being quite twitchy under quite firm braking at high (ish) speed, (i'm talking >150)
    Not exactly the feel you want in your car when decelerating from that kind of speed, can this be reduced with front toe adjustments? (and what implications would these adjustments have on the rest of the drivability of the car?)
    --> 2008 Metro Grey Sports Pack Gen1 <--

CS SRI ll CS TIP ll CS AB ll 2XS SSP ll 2XS FMIC ll SURE Anchors ll Enkei RPF1's 17x9 +45 ll Lamin-X Fog Tint ll DBA T3 4000 series ll Remsa pads ll Braided lines
    CP-E S2 RMM ll Hankook RS3 235/40/17 ll Forge V1 BPV ll Whiteline RSB ll AutoTech HPFP
    ll Spin-on Conversion ll Rear Diffuser
    DGR Coilovers ll LED Replacement lights ll "08-MPS" plates ll Cobb AP V3 (E85) ll CP-e TBE ll OCC

looks like someone earlier knew what he was talking about with rear tyre pressures.

the feedback you are now feeling is pretty normal. once the car starts becoming loose. it starts becoming faster. if you want a solid road feel. you be loosing out on some cornering speed.

along the long straights at lakeside and QR, it almost feels like the rear tyres aren't touching the ground and the rear is trying to overtake the front axles on the heaviest braking points from 180kph down to 80kph in my car.

normal, normal, normal... the direction you are heading is the correct one.

Direction I'm heading as in the changes I proposed in above post?
    You meaning to say that washy feeling is faster than a firm rear end?
    (that just doesn't sound right )

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk 4

Direction I'm heading as in the changes I proposed in above post?
    The trial and error processes you have done so far. And the direction they are taking you from what you have learnt so far.

You meaning to say that washy feeling is faster than a firm rear end?
    (that just doesn't sound right )
    yes.

I assume you mean "improve" the handling? To increase it would mean it is harder work for the driver.

You meaning in reference to the title of the thread?
    Yes I mean improve it, ie, go around corners faster if you will... I'm always open to all advice and opinions

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk 4

You need to adjust pressures to your liking. I use different pressures for tyres Dunlop, Pirelli, Michelin even tho they are the same sized tyres.. Still adjusting Michelins . Good to see your having a go and experiencing the changes..

Once you start to understand what your car is doing and how you want it, read experience's from experts on what mods do what (use as a guide on what to do next) and than buy and install one by one to see for yourself

Yeah I definitely will do that. And advice on the twitchyness under heavy braking, or just harden up? lol

Mate I found this also on standard brakes/ before BBK, found the gen1 was worse than gen2. I think its the ABS system, when I put the brembos on its 95% better. Not sure why think it may be the larger rotors apply force differently (guessing)..

Quote Originally Posted by RedDjinn View Post
    Mate I found this also on standard brakes/ before BBK, found the gen1 was worse than gen2. I think its the ABS system, when I put the brembos on its 95% better. Not sure why think it may be the larger rotors apply force differently (guessing)..
    Yeah, I just wasn't sure if toe adjustment would have something to do with this, as @lup15 mentioned in this thread:
    "Toe out on the front axel will help with turn in. but it will also kill the tyres quicker than any other alignment setting. It also makes the car twitchy when going along straight roads or highways as the steering wants to pull "

Maybe I should figure out what alignment specs I want to try and get them set up at the suspension info day in brizzy seeing as though I'll be up there... Chances on convincing the missus to come to a session talking about suspension??...

CS SRI ll CS TIP ll CS AB ll 2XS SSP ll 2XS FMIC ll SURE Anchors ll Enkei RPF1's 17x9 +45 ll Lamin-X Fog Tint ll DBA T3 4000 series ll Remsa pads ll Braided lines
    CP-E S2 RMM ll Hankook RS3 235/40/17 ll Forge V1 BPV ll Whiteline RSB ll AutoTech HPFP
    DGR Coilovers ll LED Replacement lights ll "08-MPS" plates ll Cobb AP V3 (E85) ll CP-e TBE ll OCC

Yeah, I just wasn't sure if toe adjustment would have something to do with this, as @lup15 mentioned in this thread:
    "Toe out on the front axel will help with turn in. but it will also kill the tyres quicker than any other alignment setting. It also makes the car twitchy when going along straight roads or highways as the steering wants to pull "

Maybe I should figure out what alignment specs I want to try and get them set up at the suspension info day in brizzy seeing as though I'll be up there... Chances on convincing the missus to come to a session talking about suspension??...
    Good luck on the Mrs .. More info gathered from an expert will help you spend money on things that will help you/get what your after
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

if you have a look through the 'tyre&wear' stickie thread. and i'm sure i already linked it earlier in this thread somewhere. you'll find the specs you need.

all this stuff has been covered before. all this has come from experts. all this stuff has come from experienced people.

currently you just seem to be going around in circles questioning yourself. but not really knowing what you are attempting to find in the first place.

time to hit the track i think. use what you have learnt and use it. talk to a few regulars there and pick up a few pointers regards setups. i think you are at a point that if you keep trialling, your just be going around in more circles.

Quote Originally Posted by RedDjinn View Post
    this is pretty normal for modern cars.

by putting in BBKs with larger number and diameter pistons. the pressure required to clamp the pad/move the pistons in increased, which ends up being even/same as before the BBK install.

but the rears still have the extra pressure, but still the same number of pistons and diameter, increases the stopping power.

manufacturers build braking systems for every dumb dumb that can afford their car. the brakes are extremely front bias, then rear sway bar (on FWD varients) is little, etc.

the installing of BBK and shifting the brake bias more to the back is a big no no in a regular car built for mr dumb dumb, but for the track, you are just heading right where you wanna head.

every car is different, and some don't react the way you want them to. some previous BBK installs have lead to rear brake lock ups do to front BBK have just too much larger dia pistons and rear pressure increasing too much. luckerly the 3s have serious under developed brakes, and most improvements react well.

Quote Originally Posted by projectrracing View Post
    if you have a look through the 'tyre&wear' stickie thread. and i'm sure i already linked it earlier in this thread somewhere. you'll find the specs you need.

all this stuff has been covered before. all this has come from experts. all this stuff has come from experienced people.

currently you just seem to be going around in circles questioning yourself. but not really knowing what you are attempting to find in the first place.

time to hit the track i think. use what you have learnt and use it. talk to a few regulars there and pick up a few pointers regards setups. i think you are at a point that if you keep trialling, your just be going around in more circles.
    Yep I know all the specs I need are in that thread, more meant I've got to write them down etc.

I do know what i'm attempting to achieve, and not really going in circles yet, but will be soon if I don't track it.
    I'm going to C&C in 2 weeks, though from looking at the videos people have put up of it, it doesn't really seem like you can go flat strap around the corners there anyway. I'll see, but it will be my first time on the track.

What is C&C?

Whoops, Circuit and coffee. Downshift event at queensland raceway

Yep I know all the specs I need are in that thread, more meant I've got to write them down etc.

I do know what i'm attempting to achieve, and not really going in circles yet, but will be soon if I don't track it.
    I'm going to C&C in 2 weeks, though from looking at the videos people have put up of it, it doesn't really seem like you can go flat strap around the corners there anyway. I'll see, but it will be my first time on the track.
    Gibba it is an awesome track a good straight and some challenging corners... does defently test all experience drivers out

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4
    ~ Radiant Ebony 2005 Mazda 6 MPS ~
    SURE REM - SURE TIP & SRI - Corksport 3" DP - Custom Exhaust - DGR Coilovers - SuperPro RSB - CX Racing FMIC with a 2xs touch - 2xs SSP - NGK Iridium Plugs - Autotech FP internals - AWR TMM & PMM Engine mounts - COBB AP - Hankook
    Ventus S1 EVO2 225/45/18 on custom painted stock black rims - Gold Brake calipers
    Dagher Tuned 195kw atw / 425nm

Quote Originally Posted by auscer View Post
    Gibba it is an awesome track a good straight and some challenging corners... does defently test all experience drivers out

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4
    Yeah does look like an awesome track, but with the amount of people they allow on the track at downshift, it doesn't look like you can do a full (or several) hot laps at once.
    How fast can you get on the main straight? I was trying to work it out, but not sure what to expect..

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast