User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Replacement Discs and Pads

nothing wrong with RDA. some people just think the DBA must be better cos they cost more. their higher end stuff is awesome from DBA. but the products both DBA and RDA sell, normal and slotted discs etc, RDA wins hand down due to pricing.

i'm just about to replace a set of front RDA slotted on one of my cars that does various motorsports. almost 100K on the fronts (slots are nearly gone) using a pad that has a 0.52 fiction coefficient. basicly how hard it rubs and grabs the rotors. most of the above pads mentioned are between 0.38-0.48. so might have gotten 20K more with less aggressive pads.

as above, rda is like stock, dba is a little longer lasting, but you'll pay extra for that longer lasting. i think it all comes out the same in the end.

if for the street, just get rda normals and qfm hpx pads. $140 for rotors and $79 for pads.
    Last edited by projectrracing; 07-02-2013 at 08:55 AM.

Awesome, thanks for the info. Basically decide on which brand really.

A lot of people seem to like hawk pads and they pop up with a lot of owners using them, presume these are a good buy as opposed to other brands? I do want something with low dust and good feel. Only prerequisite, if possible

the hawks are not for you. they are dusty and dont work cold.

Thought I'd update this with my experience.

Fitted RDA slotted and dimpled rotors, with bendix GCT pads rotors needed a bit of breaking in which is now done. Pads are useless, feels pretty doughy under braking and not a great deal of feel. When fitting them, there was no clip to hold the pad in place on the outer but had one on the inner. So the pads just kinda floating and you can hear it sitting on the rotor as you drive and gives a vibration.

Looking at changing the pads again even though they're only 450kms old. Don't buy bendix, probably my bad for not doing more research on them.

lol bendix.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil MPS View Post
    Thought I'd update this with my experience.

Fitted RDA slotted and dimpled rotors, with bendix GCT pads rotors needed a bit of breaking in which is now done. Pads are useless, feels pretty doughy under braking and not a great deal of feel. When fitting them, there was no clip to hold the pad in place on the outer but had one on the inner. So the pads just kinda floating and you can hear it sitting on the rotor as you drive and gives a vibration.

Looking at changing the pads again even though they're only 450kms old. Don't buy bendix, probably my bad for not doing more research on them.
    That surprises me a little, a mate of mine was installing a set of bendix pads in his friends MPS recently and he asked me to take a look at the pads he had before they went in to confirm they were the right ones and they were all kosher.

I too have had experience with pads that don't have that outer retaining clip and I ended up getting rid of them as well. Street pads wouldnt be too bad but these were project mu racing pads that squealed TERRIBLY, and when they dragged on the rotor there was simply no respite from the noise.

That clip isn't functionally important, but for the sake of noise and comfort, it matters a lot!

I just got a new set of front disks and pads for both front and rear. Went with dba4000 t3 and remsa pads. Awesome combo so far. Did 2 hard mountain climb sessions in 2 days at Mt Beauty of about 10km up and 10km back down. Didn't experience any brake fade at all.

Brembos FTW

See my signature. Slotted but not cross-drilled, which are more prone to cracking. Fitted last month at 69,000km. Bought from MPS Garage. Way cheaper than what you got quoted. Feel fine and stop well. Worth checking.

I am running EBC Ultrax rotors currently, with EBC red stuff pads. Reasonable feel, pulls up hard. Slightly dusty if you really stand on them a few times though.

Quote Originally Posted by STEALTH_MPS View Post
    I just got a new set of front disks and pads for both front and rear. Went with dba4000 t3 and remsa pads. Awesome combo so far. Did 2 hard mountain climb sessions in 2 days at Mt Beauty of about 10km up and 10km back down. Didn't experience any brake fade at all.
    My Remsa pads were super dusty when I first got them but after 5000kms they have calmed down

A little non-responsive when cold (initial first brakes) but are super strong and great feel

Not a lot of dust these days and very happy

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

Hey guys,

Am in the market for discs and pads.... Leaning toward RDA slotted and drilled (read dimpled, NOT cross drilled) rotors with EBC red stuff pads...

been quoted a pretty good price for both (less than 400 total) which is greatas I'm on bit of a budget. Anyone had experience with this combination?

Would love some DBA's but don't really have the cash and I'm not 100% convinced they're THAT much better than the RDA's but would be easily corrected.

Was told that its more about getting the right pad rather than getting TOO carried away with the discs....

Any thoughts ladies and gents?? (Bear in mind I'm on a budget lol)

Quote Originally Posted by STEALTH_MPS View Post
    hey..any squeeling noise from the remsa pads ?
    Trying to keep it subtle ... | COBB AccessPort | COBB DP | CP-e HPFP | CorkSport TMIC | TurboSmart BPV | Denso ITV22| CorkSport Boost Tubes | SURE Full3 Aeros | SURE REM (Street) | SURE AGS SS Shift Knob | 2XS SSP + SURE CounterShift | Speedline Front Strut Brace | Whiteline RSB | Prima Paint Protection

Quote Originally Posted by naasif View Post
    I had very squeal for the first 500kms, but after that nothing

Peter "SLIXX"

Quote Originally Posted by naasif View Post
    nah man..no squeelin at all from day one

Hi All,

I'm under 10k away from new disks and pads ( and tyres! ).

Is this quality you are talking about for your 3's (rda and remsa) transferable to the 6 or is that a different kettle of fish?

Cheers
    Tim

im using DBA 4000 T3 with remsa pads

I'm using DBA T3s Front and DBA T2s Rear
    Remsas all round

Peter "SLIXX"

Thanks all - I'll go for the DBA's and remsa pads at the next service and see what they are like.

Cheers,
    Tim

So far I find my Hawks, at least on the DBA rotors, far LESS dusty than stock, as might be expected given they are a more resistant pad that requires slightly higher pedal pressures. And I have never had a squeal from them. I find them fine for street use, even from cold.

I think a lot of people tend to confuse brake "performance" with the way they feel on the pedal. OEM pads are pretty soft and have an early bite that feels good, but this may not translate into a true "high performance" pad when the chips are down, and you might only discover the real difference on a winding downhill run on an alpine road (as if we have lots of those here in WA).
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast