User Tag List

Thread: Could running 235s throw your speedo out

Default Could running 235s throw your speedo out

Hey guys

Could running 235/40/18s on a Gen II throw the speedo out, it seems to be a bit out when comparred to a few GPS units and driving next to a friend.

u will be travelling faster than what ur speedo shows.

I didn't think wider tyres mattered.

I thought it was just the height or the rim size that would change the speedo

Peter "SLIXX"

A 235/40 has a larger rolling circumference than the std 225/40 of the Gen 2. So speedo will be out a little.

Quote Originally Posted by 03blk View Post
    A 235/40 has a larger rolling circumference than the std 225/40 of the Gen 2. So speedo will be out a little.
    Yep

40% of 225 = 90mm sidewall height (stock)

40% of 235 = 94mm sidewall height

Enough to affect speedo by a small amount

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

As everyone here has posted 235/40R18 will be 1.26% greater in size!

Here's a link with a handy calculator so you check what different sizes will do.

Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible Page 4 of 4

I had 235/40/18 and I was 7k's out going by my GPS to the speedo,when i was doing 100k's on the speedo the GPS showed 93k's ???? and the higher I went the bigger the margin IE: conrod straight......

Mps speedos seem to suck to begin with too... Mine with stockers used to 100 when doing 95 according to wife's rav4 and mrs garmin...

Sent from my iPhone

by law all speedos have to be accurate or read up to 10% faster than actual speed
    if anything, running 235/40 will likely correct your speedo

as Sam said though I believe its 8%, could be wrong.
    Really anyone who tries to argue their way out of a speeding fine using speedo inaccuracy is an idiot. All you do is make yourself look more guilty.

For example, in my car to do more than 100kmh my speedo shows 110kmh. So right there I know I am speeding, the speedo says so. Do what the speedo says, no chance of being booked.

Since my car is still 3-4ks slow @ 100ks on the speedo with 235/40/18 you wont have a issue

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    as Sam said though I believe its 8%, could be wrong.
    Really anyone who tries to argue their way out of a speeding fine using speedo inaccuracy is an idiot. All you do is make yourself look more guilty.

For example, in my car to do more than 100kmh my speedo shows 110kmh. So right there I know I am speeding, the speedo says so. Do what the speedo says, no chance of being booked.
    Brad I just set my GPS at 100k's because that is the correct reading and you can't go wrong providing you have some sort of GPS ????? I have purposely driven through speed traps using it without any problems so when the GPS was doing 100k's and the car speedo does 106 to 107k's. I have been fine and I have asked some of my cop mates and they said it was fine, it's a true reading then it comes down to the radar gun if it's correct . You don't win, so far so good been through plenty through Qld and now Darwin using the GPS true reading.
    Like sand in the hour glass are the days of my life.

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same.
    You will be in our prays
    Leelu.