User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Koni's vs Bilstein's

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    A while back I spoke to Ryan @projectrracing about setting my car up. Says if I throw him the keys he can tell me what I can do to improve it.

Well done on the purchase though, we look forward to some updates.

Hi Brad the guys at Allstar Tuning who look after the MPS Race Car have just about got a set of adjustable shockes sorted, I am pricing my new White MPS to be able to handle some good power and this is only a part of my email I got back that I will share the guys still use the standard swaybars as per production rules..and these guys have had plenty of testing I can asure you.. Best of luck

Quote from my email from Richard at Allstar Tuning:
    The best handling improvement has been the shock absorbers, we usestandard sway bars as per the rules but I have been talking with a supplierwhom is working on an adjustable set suitable for road cars. A set of bilsteinshocks with 10mm lower ride height will suit your application well(highway andtrack). Bilstein’s and springs will be aprox around $1200 in the car and wheelaligned.With track tyres these mod’s will make the car potentially quicker thanJakes race car.
    Last edited by 240MPS; 02-05-2012 at 10:30 PM.
    Like sand in the hour glass are the days of my life.

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same.
    You will be in our prays
    Leelu.

Woah!! Did the above email mean bilsteins and springs supplied and installed for 1200!?!? If this is the case how can I get some!!

what production class doesn't allow changes to the suspension? never come across one before. normally its all good as long as the stock mounting points are used.

I have an Rx8, so its not apples and oranges, but...

I added Tein H-tech springs and Bilstein B8's (the H-techs were chosen as it gave me the lowered height I wanted). Not only is handling improved, but the car is a lot more comfortable. Another really significant point here and I can't stress this enough; the Bilstein's are so good that I don't even need to change my sway bars. Obviously this is good because I don't have to spend more money, but adding extra suspension bits, particualry sways bars, induces car rattles etc over time. So for the street, the idea of a really good quality spring/shock absorber combination should be strongly considered.

One more point on Bilstein shcoks which may not have been mentioned, they generally last a LOT longer than most other shocks due to quality and design.

"Sector six, 80, copy the sixth, the sum of the eighth, the quadrant over the ninth, plus 80, four circles, weave the 80 and call the fourth. Copy." - Thufir Hawat, Mentat, Master of Assassins.

honestly, at the end of the day, i think it comes down to the following:

for 90% of people, good shocks and springs will be fine them...
    coilovers are needed only really for people who want/need the adjustibility, track their car often enough, run very aggressive wheels/"stance" or just for the factor

+ 1 for Jerk Factor!

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd let you know my coilovers were done today! (yay)

Pedders Extreme XC. So far they are SO GOOD. Perfect level of damping (f 15 r 13) and she feels like she's on rails!

Not too hard or soft on the normal roads.. I'll post more after a bit more experience!!

Hi Alan. Glad you're happy with your Coilovers. I've been running BC BRs for 18 months now and am still very happy with them.

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    Agreed.
    The actual reason for the raising of the height with some aftermarket shocks is the spring perch is positioned ever so slightly different. Your right, shock length does not alter ride height.
    Firmer doesn't mean better handling, again, correct. Too firm you lose the advantage of being able to use the cars weight to improve grip. And as for on the road, ever hit a bump mid corner at speed?
    Scary stuff

Like I've said a lot on this forum, suspension is all about compromise. And there is a fine line between right and wrong. Also what works for some doesn't work for others.
    Both dad and I have identical radio control race cars, yet totally different suspension set up, neither like eachother cars, yet on the track our lap times are near identical.
    Mate, Compromise is the Key Word.. I was fortunate to be involved with a Company called Kinetic Suspension. our goal was removing COMPROMISE from the suspension dictionary. unfortunately cost is high for hydraulic interconnected mode decoupled suspension systems. I wish I had the cash to buy the patent and some machines to produce low volumes for you guys. IT was second to none. if you look at the new Mclaren sports car, We did the kinetic system on that and then Tenneco put electronic dampers, on it, but essentially it was a PASSIVE system( no electronics required) and made a plush ride, with extremely high roll stiffness, while maintaining ultimate grip and comfort... I could go on for years.. I love this stuff google the Mclaren and also the TOPGEAR test of it.. that explains alot. the new 200 landcruiser has a slightly different version, as does the new Nissan Patrol (overseas version) anyways, off topic a bit, but interesting all the same

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Scaredycrow View Post
    I've had 2 sets of Koni yellows now, with the Mazdaspeed Spring kit (which are reportedly just a re-badged Eibach Pro Kit), the performance is brilliant.

That said, I'm going to give the Bilsteins a go next time, just to see the difference. I think at the end of the day, you'll end up with a high quality product going with either of these...
    How does the ride quality compare to stock? I'm thinking of going with the koni yellows with H&R springs

Quote Originally Posted by js0n1 View Post
    How does the ride quality compare to stock? I'm thinking of going with the koni yellows with H&R springs

Konis are a better ride, remember with the koni yellow you can adjust the front dampning
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Quote Originally Posted by js0n1 View Post
    Its a tough question to answer, cause the ride is much firmer, but its also more comfortable. The stock suspension was horrible I thought, I now have firm suspension but no increase in harshness if that makes sense? For instance my Mum prefers this setup over stock, and people with motion sickness issues don't seem to have a problem in my car, because the body roll is greatly reduced.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaredycrow View Post
    Its a tough question to answer, cause the ride is much firmer, but its also more comfortable. The stock suspension was horrible I thought, I now have firm suspension but no increase in harshness if that makes sense? For instance my Mum prefers this setup over stock, and people with motion sickness issues don't seem to have a problem in my car, because the body roll is greatly reduced.
    Good discribing ... to comapre Konis to Bilstiens B8's. B8's are harder again altho still comfortable and very controlled i think sometimes i wish i went with Koni yellows for ride, Due to stonger damped they dont soak up the sharp bumps as the Konis do. When you hit a corner thats where im gald i went B8's and when you hit a big bump when lowered and the car doesnt jump or clunk. Than you look back at what you hit and think to yourself that felt good compared to what it looked like, at that moment 'I love my B8's'

Pfft, Koni vs Bilstien? Go KW!

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    Pfft, Koni vs Bilstien? Go KW!
    If you have a spare 2k

Quote Originally Posted by RedDjinn View Post
    If you have a spare 2k
    More

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

ok just got my Bilstein B8 installed today, very nice !! but too much trafftic, will give it a spin soon tonight.
    Do you guys usually take your old shocks back coz I didn't. should I ?

Quote Originally Posted by 37371118 View Post
    ok just got my Bilstein B8 installed today, very nice !! but too much trafftic, will give it a spin soon tonight.

How much did it cost u all u if u dont mind me asking.

on taking back old shocks...depends on their condition
    depends on condition of the old shocks.

lemme guesss... Heaseman's'?

chuck your old shocks, why would you want them now lol

"Sector six, 80, copy the sixth, the sum of the eighth, the quadrant over the ninth, plus 80, four circles, weave the 80 and call the fourth. Copy." - Thufir Hawat, Mentat, Master of Assassins.

Just wait till they settle ... if you love them now just wait! i have done a few thou ks and they settle down and become very nice

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast