User Tag List

Thread: Clanking noise from the rear

Default Clanking noise from the rear

Recently I have been experiencing an occasional noise from the rear of the car that sounds a bit like a bunch of metal clanking against each other, not a good noise to be sure. Any ideas what part of the car I should suspect is at foul play here? I might take it to a pedders for them to give a once over to find out what it may be. I've already got new shocks on the way but I am starting to suspect rear diff mounts. I had it serviced just a few weeks ago and the mechanic said apart from some bushes wearing out it all looked fine. Had hoped it was just the tools rattling around but did it the other day with no tools in the back so definitely isnt.

Is there any easy way to check the rear diff mount or has anyone else experienced this and what caused it for you?

This is what happened when my rear diff bolts were lose, Mazda found it and tightened up for me, and put loctite on them and it fixed the problem!

3. Default

What mods do you have ?

Quote Originally Posted by High on PSI View Post
    This is what happened when my rear diff bolts were lose, Mazda found it and tightened up for me, and put loctite on them and it fixed the problem!
    What he said.
    A metallic sound, most noticeable when releasing the clutch in first and second gear.
    Sadly, one of mine has now sheared off, so I'm hoping Mazda will do the right thing by me.

Good luck.

Swaybar bolts will do it....

Swaybar endlinks are definitely worth checking, especially if you have an aftermarket rear swaybar.
    Last edited by Reedy; 30-11-2011 at 02:47 PM.

I'd say rear diff mount or bolts on the front mount. When does the clanking normally occur? Also worth checking is your tyre pressures particularly the rear ones, if one is soft then this can also cause clanking noises too. Another way to eliminate if it's diff related is to disconnect the drive to the rear by clicking the handbrake up one notch, if the noise remains then it might not be diff related.

Hmm tyre pressure should be ok on all of them, running around 38psi from memory.

Happens very rarely which is annoying, and only noticed when taking corners if that matters. Don't think I've heard it under hard acceleration or gear changes. I was on a track day recently and only heard it once, maybe twice max. As for suspension modifications, there are none, completely stock down there. I'm hoping my Koni FSD turn up one day and then I'll have them tighten everything up while they are down there.