User Tag List

Thread: Engine Mount Broken!

Default Engine Mount Broken!

Engine Mount problems

Hey Guys,

Have recently purchased an 06 3 MPS. Great little machine! Had it for nearly two months now.

Slight problem, the gearbox/engine assembly is resting on the subframe on the left hand side.

It would appear to me that the mount has failed. Its funny because i asked the previous owner, who was the first owner, if the recall had been done. It had. 4 years ago.

I have given the car a little nudge here and there (i mean christ, i just bought the fu$%ing thing!) but no serious things like burnouts or racing starts etc. I have just used the car in the manner for which im presuming mazda built it (IE a sports model yeah?)

I was not driving the car hard at the time. Was in the middle of peak hour, driving at 50k's and she just went BANG!, thack thwack thwack thwack......

Upon removing the lhf wheel, i discovered the above problem.

Upon lifting the bonnet, i noticed the engine listing about 3 degrees to the right.

Anyone here had this happen? Any ideas of approx cost to fix? Or any thoughts on wether or not mazda will come to the party?

This is most dissapointing!!!

Blog Entries

My recalled and fixed OEM mount came out looking pretty worse for wear - eventually it would degrade to the point of breakage. I would suggest engine mount needs inspecting every 30,000K.
    I'm not aware of any (other+local) recalled mounts giving out after the fact, but I'm not massively surprised. That's very inconvenient for you; You should have a recall sticker on the driver door framing if the mount was serviced...

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Engine Mount problems

Hey Guys,

Have recently purchased an 06 3 MPS. Great little machine! Had it for nearly two months now.

Slight problem, the gearbox/engine assembly is resting on the subframe on the left hand side.

It would appear to me that the mount has failed. Its funny because i asked the previous owner, who was the first owner, if the recall had been done. It had. 4 years ago.

I have given the car a little nudge here and there (i mean christ, i just bought the fu$%ing thing!) but no serious things like burnouts or racing starts etc. I have just used the car in the manner for which im presuming mazda built it (IE a sports model yeah?)

I was not driving the car hard at the time. Was in the middle of peak hour, driving at 50k's and she just went BANG!, thack thwack thwack thwack......

Upon removing the lhf wheel, i discovered the above problem.

Upon lifting the bonnet, i noticed the engine listing about 3 degrees to the right.

Anyone here had this happen? Any ideas of approx cost to fix? Or any thoughts on wether or not mazda will come to the party?

This is most dissapointing!!!
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

Yeah the mods been done, I rang the dealer and confirmed it.

The car has only done 23,000km! I would love to know roughly what this is going to cost!

4. Default

Ah bugger. I'm hoping mine doesn't do the same before I upgrade the mount in the coming months.

Have you looked at aftermarket options? Cp-e, AWR, Sure, Turbine Tech etc. Surely an upgrade will give you much needed peace of mind when you add some mods...

Hey Laser,

I'm not too worried about modding the car so if Mazda aust come to the party I'll just get them to do it but it doesn't give me a good feeling! If I have to pay for it then you betcha, she's getting best I can get my hands on!!

I agree with nexus, we should be gettin these things checked at regular intervals! Although, no checking can pick up a mount that's about to snap! (unless they do dye penetration or xray but I'm pretty sure they only do that on airplanes!)

Hi Alan,

As mentioned, there are a few after-market option available, I am getting the SU side mounts for mine since my drivers side mount failed, as these are the only ones that dont seem to have had any failures to date. I have driven another MPS that has these fitted and the vibes are minimal, the only real noticeable difference was a bit of added gearbox whine in second gear.
    The other point to consider is the cost, a set of SU side mounts will set you back ~425 shipped, a set of cp-e mounts from MPS garage will set you back over 1k.
    The SU mounts are still a few weeks away, you would probably be waiting even longer if buying from MPSG.

Do you actually have the sticker in your door frame, or are you taking your dealers word for it, I can post a pic of the sticker for you if it will help to identify it.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

Matt,

I haven't actually seen the sticker but I'm going to get the car moved this morning so I'll have a look.

Were those prices for a full set? I'm assuming that's parts only too!

Man I really didn't think this would happen!!

Funny you ask if it's been done. There is no sticker on the inside of the drivers door or anywhere in the engine bay. I'm beginning to wonder if this recall was actually done or not!

Doesn't sound good at all, I would say that if you bought the car from a Mazda dealership you would have recourse against them for failing their duty of care. As they should have known to check for recalls etc.
    Otherwise the car should have come with warranty that you could claim against.
    I have taken a pic of the sticker, I'll upload it when I'm near the computer next.

Edit: Here is the pic of the sticker,

Hopefully posted from my iPhone on the VodaFAIL network.
    Last edited by MattMPS3; 19-05-2011 at 01:35 PM.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

Hey Matt,

Cheers for that, there is no sticker anywhere on the car. I ended up taking it to Promaz in Thomastown (vic) as they have been recommended to me by a mate. I talked to Mazda Aust and they said that any assistance was unlikely as i was the second owner of the car and that its an 06. I did have the option however to take it to a dealership and have them diagnose it (which i have already accurately done, its not hard to diagnose this problem!), pay for the diagnostic labour and they will look at it. I decided not to do this as im sure the car will be at the dealers for weeks so ill just get some competent guys to look at it and all is done.

Will post a pic of the engine bay for you to see!

Al.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	8603

Damn, passenger side mount is definitely broken, even a mechanically naive person like myself can see that

Bugga!

Hopefully it didnt take anything down with it when it let go. Replacing the engine mount is straight forward enough, but if it bent any of the running gear when it failed then that can get really bad really quick.

So just to clarify, did you buy the car privately or from a dealership, while I am not up to date with second hand car purchasing from dealers, I believe they are required to offer a warranty on used car sales. My engine fell out would certainly fall under this warranty.

To answer your earlier question, the after-market mounts are best installed in pairs (to avoid stressing the existing mount to the point of failure), they dont seem too hard to fit and can be done in the driveway if you, or a friend are moderately competent with some basic tools. The most difficult one to replace is the one you have broken as you have to remove the battery box and half the intake to access the mount.

Here is a link I found on the SU forum which pretty much details the process.

StreetUnitForum.com

I would avoid the cp-e ones myself, the main load bearing area of the pass side mount is held together with 8 small hex bolts, they seem to be stripping / backing out from reports on the US forums.
    Abraham Lincoln

14. Default

I would recommend you get the diagnoses first however I would not be driving this thing from place to place, but getting it towed. With dropped mounts like this, the likelihood that one of your CV joints may have blown as well.

Do you have the original service book that came with the car? Find out who did the servicing and whether this was done according to the log book. If you can prove this, then I don't believe Mazda can deny you a claim on parts which should last more than 5 years.

Yeah thanks guys!

Car was bought privately so no warranty. Caveat Emptor!!

I'm hoping not a lot was damaged when she let go. Was doing 50k at the time and had it stopped in a jiff. Didn't move the car except to put it on the towtruck. That was a sad sight indeed

As for the replacements, I wouldn't want to try to replace them myself as I dont have any equip to support the engine while a mount is out. I'm sure the guys at the shop will do the right thing. They came highly recommended.

As for the warranty issue/recall issue. I'll get the thing fixed and then talk to Mazda and try my luck! I need the car to be on the road so I can afford to have them dally about on it for too long!